Facebook Sucks!šŸ˜¤

(Todd Allen) #41

I never much liked or used facebook but recently started as Iā€™ve found a large group there on a topic of importance to me.

I wanted to make a substantial post broken into several paragraphs but inadvertantly submitted the post when attempting to enter a blank line between paragraphs. I went ahead and rolled with it, submitting each paragraph as a successive post. A few hours later I checked on the thread and found facebook is only displaying my first paragraph and Iā€™ve been unable to find a way to see my other posts. For such a popular system it seems very broken in the most basic of ways to me.

I would argue that the delete acct tool is better!

(Allie) #43

They wonā€™t let you delete, only deactivateā€¦ so they still keep all your data.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #44

:rage:

(Steve) #45

Havenā€™t done this myself, so canā€™t verify that it works - but someone thatā€™s looking to nuke their account can give it a whirl and report back. :slight_smile:

I should have been clearer, thatā€™s not a ā€œsupportedā€ tool.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #47

I know the feeling.
I got into an argument with another woman who after 3 days of being keto advised another woman that she was now fat adapted because she had a purple reading on her ketostix.

When I politely informed her that she cannot be fat adapted after 3 days I was told to ā€˜inform myselfā€™ and ā€˜stop being so rudeā€™ I was gobsmacked.

I do not ask for any advice on Facebook AT ALL anymore. They are just so passive aggressive.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #48

And that is why I am staying put here! I investigated a couple of FB sites and didnā€™t really feel like filling out the required ''questionnaire". Itā€™s my life, my health, so I am keeping it simple - itā€™s not a competition, or a reason to feel superior. I am so glad this is the first resource I have found.

If you access Facebook using a phone it tracks you via your GPS app. A friend who went into a store to look at clothes got that stores advertising to them on their Facebook page.
Clothes stores they had looked at from adverts on Facebook would text him every time he walked by one of the stores. Super scary Big Brother!

(Steve) #50

Wow! So theyā€™re getting as scary as Google! Awesome!!! :smiley:

Looks around the room at all of the people with Android phones

whistles softly :wink:

(Consensus is Politics) #51

Speaking of Googleā€¦

Google used to have this in their mission statementā€¦ ā€œdo no evilā€. It was removed from their mission statement recently.

:thinking:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #52

I remember years ago seeing a segment about this.
It was back when Google was just becoming the go to search engine.
They talked about the ā€œdo no evilā€ motto.

Iā€™m not sure if they were a starry eyed new comer at the time who really believed that and somehow became corrupt once big $ got involved or if it was a publicity stunt all along. Either way, they certainly havenā€™t been following that mission statement for some time.

(Rob) #53

I donā€™t think people have any idea how invasive Facebook is or how much data they collect on a person. I have heard about an initiative ā€¦ I think it had itā€™s roots in Europe ā€¦ Iā€™ve heard it called ā€œThe Right to be Forgottenā€ . Unfortunately I think those of us in the US are not going to be seeing that sort of legislation soon.

(Steve) #54

There was a petition of many of the Google employees, asking the company leadership to not work with the military on their Open AI framework.

Their leadership ignored it.

I donā€™t think nearly enough people realize just how dangerous the AI game isā€¦ā€œthatā€™s science fiction stuffā€.

(Steve) #55

When I was doing my startup in Boston (a voice portal - ā€œbecause no-one will ever surf on those tiny little screens on your phone!ā€) :wink: Heh. BlackBerry was just in its infancy back then and no-one had heard of them
ā€¦anyway, thatā€™s when I first started getting introduced to a lot of the business intelligence and data mining that was going on (as, one of the things I did was vet investment firmsā€¦we wanted to be careful about who we ā€œgot into bedā€ with). Several of the really undesirable, underhanded marketing firms that were doing tracking work were funded by Microsoft (amongst others).

At a high level, it looks perfectly innocent ā€œWeā€™re doing this to provide you with a more meaningful experience, with ads that are targeted to youā€, but, under the covers, the amount of invasive data mining going on is kinda scary.

It wouldnā€™t be so bad if they scrubbed the user portion - so you were anonymized - but thereā€™s common ties in a lot of the marketing databases out thereā€¦and, of course, people like the NSA and Homeland are no dummies - theyā€™re subscribing to the data to help build models as well.

(Consensus is Politics) #56

The users are the product. There are many reports of people being shown adds of specific items they were just having conversations about. On a recent pod cast by the Pod Father, Adam Curry, he spoke how he asked his ā€œtalking tubeā€, the Amazon product, to call his girl friend (using her name). It did. It called her. He didnā€™t have her phone number. No contact for her. Yet somehow it managed to know her phone number. Most likely her phone was using his WiFi connection, the same connection his talking tube was connected to. I smell a conspiracy here between APIā€™s.

NSAā€¦ tsk tskā€¦ Bribed (black mailed?) the entity responsible for setting up standards for encryption. There is a standard for encryption that handles the handshakes. The initializing protocols that help both ends of the communication pick an encryption protocol that they have in common. The NSA paid millions of dollars to make sure a weakened protocol that could be easily cracked would have priorities above the others.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #57

And now all these Alexa and Echo type devices are basically people installing an eavesdropping device in their homes.

Funny what so many people would be aghast about if government were to do it voluntarily allow (and usually pay) for profit companies to do to them.

(Sophie) #58

This! Itā€™s a direct quote from my Husband also!

I donā€™t own a phone, I refuse!

(Casey Crisler) #60

My philosophy is ā€œI donā€™t argue on the internetā€. Period, end of story. Itā€™s an unwinnable battle. I donā€™t flip people off on the road either. Maybe Iā€™ll start giving them a thumbs down instead. Itā€™ll probably have more of an impact.