Facebook Sucks!šŸ˜¤

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

What is it about Facebook that makes people think itā€™s cool to give out unsolicited advice to others, typically in the most critical manner possible?

I get that we give out a lot of advice here, but itā€™s almost always asked for in the manner or ā€œwhat am I doing wrongā€¦?ā€ And even when we put our 2 cents in, itā€™s done in a much gentler and take it or leave it manner. Not ā€œwhy in the hell would you be doing thatā€¦ā€ kind of way.

So now Iā€™m in a FB tiff with someone because I told her it wasnā€™t her place to judge. Yeah me for being stupid enough to think someone would be rational on FB.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

I like to let the idiots on FB make an ASS out of themselves.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Yeah, I have a problem when I see someone else being picked on. I canā€™t help but say something. So now the personā€™s critical crap is aimed at me.

Oh well, Iā€™ve not replied back again.
Whatā€™s the use. Itā€™s a pointless endevor trying to teach someone with no boundaries how to have boundaries.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

Itā€™s like the old saying ā€œNever argue with a drunk!ā€

(Karen Parrott) #5

Blocking and muting are two great FB tools. Friends change, family time can be limited.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

This was in a Keto group, so not someone I even know. Iā€™m just ignoring now and moving on.

(Maha) #7

I hear you! It can be very frustrating. Thatā€™s good youā€™re ignoring and moving on. You wonā€™t be thinking about it after a day or so, hopefully. Sometimes Iā€™ll write a response back, be as snarky as I want, and then delete it and donā€™t engage from the get go. Sometimes people just want attention and donā€™t know how to go about it, but it doesnā€™t mean you have to take it. Funny, Iā€™m actually going through something similar right now with a family member (not diet related). Iā€™d finally had enough and spoke up, and now Iā€™m being treated as though Iā€™m at fault. Some people just donā€™t like being called out for their offenses. And thatā€™s their problem, not yours. Thatā€™s not a stress we need on our journeys.

(Marta Loftfield) #8

@Anniegirl9 since this person is not a friend I would simply block them. No need to even witness their drama. It does amaze me how some people, mainly who cannot handle their own life, feel they are an authority about others.

Facebook, is one BIG psychiatrist couch! Attempt to diagnose at your own peril.

The Internet is far more negative than beneficial, right down to the idiots who think they can text and drive while being beheaded by an oncoming truck!

(Steve) #10

ā€¦a little over 8 years of my career were at BlackBerry. Wish the smartphone had never been inventedā€¦but if we hadnā€™t done it, Palm wasnā€™t far behind. People were able to disconnect from work before that happened (and social networking like facebook was pretty much nonexistent back then). People being plugged in 24/7 has really resulted in such a paradigm shift in everyoneā€™s behaviour (and vastly reduced quality of life because of it).

I donā€™t ever see the ā€œgenie being put back in the bottleā€ - itā€™s sad. Lots of people recognize that and purposefully unplug themselves, but for a lot of people, itā€™s just not possible due to professional expectations.

Facebook has a limited shelf-life. Many people recognize it for the cancer that it is and have been dropping it. Just a matter of time until it hits critical mass and the majority of people drop it.

I have a laptop, and donā€™t own a phone. I refuse to own one. I have actually seen people cry when they canā€™t find their phones. Super scary, brainwashing!

My pet peeve is going to the park and watching parents Facebook the experience rather than live it with their child. Its a constant me, me, me, look at me! If people could just accept they are mere grains of sand on a vast beach, theyā€™d chill!

(Allie) #12

I just block rude or negative people I come across on Facebook rather than giving them a place in my personal headspace.

(icky) #13

Yup, I do this too allllll the time.

I will never learn! :joy: :wink:

(cheryl) #14

i had a face book account for less than a year, and I saw how otherwise rational people acted when they disagreed with others ā€“ in person they would never ever comment in the manner they quickly do online ā€“ it disturbed me so that i deleted my account and havent succumbed to the pressure to resign up ā€“ I feel like the negative far out ways the positive ā€“ and other aspect is the nosinessā€¦ if i had a nickle for everytime i hear someone say ā€™ let me check out their facebook ā€™ ā€“ I guess I am a internet hermit.

(Ashley) #15

I donā€™t have an account, nor will I ever make one. Which is actually quite rare considering Iā€™m under 30 and everyone I know has an account. I just donā€™t care. Iā€™ve seen how addicted people are to it. Some only use it occasionally which is fine. But after seeing the things on FB through other people I was like yeah no thanks it sounds toxic. But Iā€™m also someone who doesnā€™t watch hardly any tv. This is actually the only ā€œforumā€ that I use and I appreciate this site because I actually am learning things. Heck I donā€™t even use my phone much except calling, texting (which calling is rare, texting is needed for friends whoā€™s rather text than call) I do use my phone for Pinterest though, my one guilty pleasure, which is normally keto recipes, ideas on building things (Iā€™m considering making stuff for my house and pets as a hobby) also I use google if I need to search something important. Basically it lol. Maybe Iā€™m lame hah.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #16

My husband refuses too, but heā€™s 59. Funny thing is, when he wants to know whatā€™s up with his kids, he asks me to check my FB account because they keep me updated that way.

There are a few things that make it worthwhile to me. Otherwise I could easily do without it. The biggest is that we adopted our son when he was born. We have an open adoption agreement with his birth mother and FB allows us to keep her up to date on whatā€™s happening with him.

Otherwise I would have to write letters and mail pictures. Itā€™s a huge convienience for me to do it via FB and because itā€™s easier, I do it more, thus his birth mother gets to see more of whatā€™s going on.

For that reason alone I will keep my FB account as long as itā€™s in existance. I just have to filter out all the crap.

(Ashley) #17

First of all, thank you for adopting, whatever the circumstances were itā€™s great to give kids a good home and a good family! And also thatā€™s awesome you stuck with the premises of open adoption. Iā€™ve seen people adopt and agree to updates on open adoption and then do not hold up to it. Which Iā€™m sure even though she couldnā€™t be present in his life for whatever reason she is eternally greatful that he got a great mom and Dad and that sheā€™s able to know and see heā€™s doing well! I completely understand why In your circumstances and also with keeping in touch with people. Iā€™ve just seen my age group and younger and how they are on FB and most of it is unfiltered negativity or things that should just be private!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

My son has a half brother a year and a half younger than he is who was also put up for adoption. We got the opportunity to adopt this second baby but after many tears from me and much begging on my part, my husband remained a firm no. His argument was we agreed when we got married that we would have only one child. He already had three from a previous marriage, so this was a compromise for both of us. But more importantly to him, his argument was ā€œwhat if she keeps having babies? We canā€™t keep adopting them.ā€
So I was heart broken but I understood his concern. Anyway, we got to meet the parents who adopted the second baby and were at the hospital after he was born at the request of their birth Mom. I think the hope was that we could all keep in contact so the boys would know each other at least to a degree.
Unfortunately the second family broke all contact with the birth family. Itā€™s sad and it makes me mad. This person gave us the most precious gift of our lives. We should at least honor the promos we made. The birth mother never did have any more kids, and my son is now 14. Wr all regret that we didnā€™t take the second, especially his birth Mom. She had told me several times how much she wished he was with us.

(Ashley) #19

Itā€™s unfortunate but I understand his position. You never know where life takes you and you werenā€™t sure to know how many children she would have. Itā€™s sad for your son because if I had a sibling I would like to know them. I hope for him that as he gets older maybe itā€™s a path he can take to connect with his brother. If thatā€™s something he would ever want. I feel for her too because Iā€™m sure knowing they have a good family means the world to her which is why she was unselfish and chose adoption for them.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

I canā€™t help it, I have to post this. Just talking about him tears me up.

This is my baby!!!