Facebook Sucks!šŸ˜¤

(Ashley) #21

Very handsome boy and a baseball player (big in our household, my nephew is a baseball player and same age)

I hate it when people give unsolicited advice. I joined a keto facebook group and was asking about my blood ketones fluctuating (went from 1.9 to 0.6 in 24 hours). I asked what would cause them to swing so much from high to low and I got blasted for testing my blood ketones because the test was ā€œunnecessaryā€ and the ketone strips were so expensive and a waste of money. I was told to ā€œstop chasing ketones!ā€. What is wrong with people!!?? I was just asking for interpretation about what the numbers meant, I wasnā€™t asking for advice about how to spend MY OWN money and I wasnā€™t asking if I should or should not be testing my blood ketones.

I also have people in the real world try to push their views about how their way is right and my way is wrong onto me. Drives me crazy and makes me want to get as far away from them as possible.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #23

Yeah, there was a person posting about gaining weight even though they follow strict Keto and did cardio like 5 times a week, blah, blah, blahā€¦

And this commentor said ā€œwhy the f@&k are you doing that much cardio. Itā€™s pointless and it gets you nowhere.ā€

As someone who does about the same level of cardio as the original poster simply because I enjoy it and I know there are lots of health benefits to it beyond just trying to lose weight, I responded as such and asked her why she cared how much exercise someone else does.

She then went in about how she wasnā€™t criticizing exercise in general, just the level of exercise, and reiterated how stupid it was.

And I finished by saying, again, what does it matter to you? It could be an athlete youā€™re giving unsolicited advice to. Seriously, Iā€™m training for a half marathon. Who is this person to tell this first commentor (and by extension me) that we are fā€™ing stupid for wanting to exercise a lot.

I blocked her after that point so no idea how she responded.

It is occasions like this that I like to remember the words of the great Winston Churchill:

ā€œI would rather argue with one hundred fools than have one agree with meā€

(He also said ā€˜there is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horseā€™, and ā€˜no time in the saddle is wastedā€™, but that is for another group and another time :slight_smile: )

(Maha) #25

The only time I feel compelled to say something unsolicited is when a person state a claim as fact that is completely untrue. However, I donā€™t attack the person and I stick to the subject at hand and explain it. I take the stance that it is not the personā€™s fault for spewing misinformation, because I too was misinformed just a year ago. So far, no one has gotten into my business, but I donā€™t post a lot about myself in FB groups. In fact, Iā€™ve posted more about myself in this forum than I ever have before. Only once has a person been snarky with me in these forums, but Iā€™ve chosen to ignore it. Thereā€™s not much to be gained by getting into an argument. Everyone else has been really kind and supportive.

(Maha) #26

As for the whole smart phone and internet perspectives, I feel almost the complete opposite. I love my smartphone and I love the internet. I wish I had had these when I was younger, especially while I was getting my BS in a very difficult major for me. I could have looked up information while I was studying, watched videos and been infinitely more organized. Instead I had to use an inordinate amount of time at the library, searching and searching for just one example of a problem I was working on.

With my smart phone, I can stay organized with my calendar, and share a social calendar with everyone in the family. And when someone wants something from the store, they just add it to a shared grocery list. My phone is also my camera, my map, my look up information device. My phone has more computing power in it then what they had to land on the moon. Itā€™s AMAZING. And the technology for it is only going to get more amazing. And my kids can connect with other kids all over the country or world and talk to them and learn about how life might be a little different than where we are. I donā€™t use my phone to talk much though, as I donā€™t really like talking on the phone. Iā€™ll text, but only for quick things - I wonā€™t do a conversation by text.

Having said all that, I completely agree that the internet and social media is rife with negativity and lacks social tact. And thatā€™s too bad. I think because itā€™s still in itā€™s relative infancy, we have yet to really work out all of this sort of stuff. Iā€™m being optimistic, I know, but I do hope for it.

(Consensus is Politics) #27

Donā€™t use the Facebag, never will. I did however attempt to set up a temporary account once to help a customer of mine that was having a problem. [FYI: I do computer consulting and general technology troubleshooting and repair]

What happened during the initial setting up of this temporary account is the reason I refuse to use FB.

I was using my iPhone to sign up, and create a ā€œfakeā€ account. When it asked for name, I used ā€œJohn Smithā€. It wouldnā€™t allow me to use that name. It replied that fake names are not allowed. This perplexed me since that is one of the most common names. So I tried a very obscure name from my childhood. Tom Ray. Nope, FB says thatā€™s fake too. :face_with_monocle: Something Smells rotten in Denmark. So I gave up on these other names and used mine. Remember, John smith is so common, whatā€™s Robert Johnson gonna flag?

Well, well, wellā€¦ it let me use my real name. Hmmā€¦ next thing I know Iā€™m using Facebook. WTF!!! It has pictures of me on my account. The fraking app went into my selfies folder of my iPhone and uploaded all my selfies. To top it off, they were all shared by default. I had to go and delete them all. But it wouldnā€™t let me. They were publicly shared. So I had to go unshare each of them and then delete them. That took me about 20 minutes to figure out and take care of. Then I began getting friend requests!!! How the efff??

Turns out FB went through my contacts list and using phone numbers, ran my contacts through itā€™s list of users and made matches and on my behalf sent out friend requests to ALL OF THEM!! So for the next hour or so I was fighting a never ending battle canceling requests, which just caused the system to resend another request from me. Took me another hour to work out what was going on. I had to manually go into iPhone settings and turn off a shitload of settings that FB had without asking me for during app install. It was hooked into everything. Contacts, location, health, photos, camera, microphone, even battery life. WTF? Battery Life?? Turns out thatā€™s another mode of user tracking, by watching battery life. Itā€™s like a super cookie.

So I get an irate call from my mother, asking why I wonā€™t friend her on FB. Sigh. Oh, and it went through my gmail as well. As in it went into my gmail. Since I had the gmail app on my phone, it had access to my gmail account, at least the email I had loaded to the phone already. It went through several years of messages and sorted out email addresses I had and compared them to itā€™s own users and sent friend requests for me. Son of a biscuit eater I was irked.

I finally got the account cleaned out, and then once I was sure it wasnā€™t repopulating the info after several log out log in cycles, I got it terminated (I hope it was permanently removed. I donā€™t dare log back into for fear of it gleaning all of my info again.)

I never did see if it touched my credit card numbers. If it did that, I figured iā€™ll Just sue them at that point.

So, I agree, Facebook sucks.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #28

Unless you have access to academic databases, whatā€™s available on the internet for most purposes is useless.

Though while you were getting your BS, you probably would have had that access.

I get frustrated with it now when Iā€™m trying to find something I researched in college but thereā€™s nothing of quality available through google searches.

(Maha) #29

Iā€™m older than that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. They were probably just starting to come online as I was graduating, or if they had them, I didnā€™t have access to them.

(Kirk) #30

I agree 100 percent. I got off that drama-fest at the beginning of this year and never looked back. My parting post was ā€˜If you want to talk to me, talk to my faceā€™

(Empress of the Unexpected) #31

Hey, worse than any of that. I had someone set up a FB account in my name. A smear campaign. It takes me literally hours to convince FB that is not my account. It gets deleted, only to pop up again later. And FB has no control over any of this.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #32

That sucks.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #33

Hey, beyond sucks. Going on ten years now. Wow, all it takes is one person who hates you. And Iā€™m not really a hatable person. There are some really dark people one can accidentally come across.:fearful: Thanks for the sympathy! And are you feeling better at this point? You have had a few hard daysā€¦

(LeeAnn Brooks) #34

I actually think I had a stomach bug and it was unrelated to Keto. For one, somethings going around and two, I started to feel nauseated again this afternoon.

But Iā€™m doing good now. Had my OMAD and felt really good with it.

Thanks for asking.

Its what happens when people do bad actions without consequences.
I taught my children early on.
I would put everything they owned into the garbage, until they respected it! The majority of parents wouldnā€™t dream of doing such a thing. The cost of the item always out ways their kids being assholes in the future! Hence, we now have to deal with assholes who think its their God given right to have everything, say anything, and do anything without consequences.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #36

Iā€™m glad - there is nothing I hate more in life than stomach bugs. Just was wondering, because usually itā€™s 24 hours - yours lasted longer. How ironic to come off a fast, only to get a stomach bug.

(Doug) #37

Change is always going on, and there do seem to be some indications of excess.

And yet the older generations are always looking down upon the younger, often with considerable horror.

(Consensus is Politics) #38

Back in the early 1980ā€™s I bought my first camera. It was a Minolta (forgot the model number, but almost the exact same as a Pentax K1000). I probably went through hundreds of dollars of film per month. I was taking pictures of all sorts of things. Macro lenses, telephoto lenses, doublers, at least a dozen different filters, time lapse, I was having all kinds of fun with it.

I think it was in 1982. When I was stationed at George AFB, California. A group of us guys from the dorms drove up to Edwards AFB to watch the space shuttle land. President Reagan was there to give a speech. I got one picture. Only the one. Because while I was looking through the viewfinder, a thought had occurred to me. _do I really want to experience all of this through this tiny little window? _ Thatā€™s when I put my camera back in its bag. I didnā€™t want to miss it. I was there. I had one shot to prove it. I didnā€™t need to burn a roll to prove it. Iā€™m living it :cowboy_hat_face:.

I think the same thing when I see people at events with their phones above and heir heads watching the little 4ā€ screens. Iā€™m thinkingā€¦ gosh, youā€™re their, take a picture and then just LIVE IT.

(Alec) #39

Whatā€™s Facebook?

The excuse parents give is ā€œI just want to give them what I never hadā€.
Iā€™d like to know ā€œWhat did they never haveā€? If their kids being ungrateful, needy brats on the planet is what they never had, I am glad they never had it!