Extremely terribly sleepy after meals

(Omar) #1

Most of the times I feel very sleepy after eating even a small meal.

In rare occasions I don’t feel sleepy after meals.

I was not always like this. It started in the last 2 years but in less frequent way. But now it is almost always.

Dr Berg mentioned that it could be indication of high insulin. But with OMAD and no snacks, I really made it extremely difficult for insulin to elevate.

I am suspecting helicobacter pylori in my stomach. But have no ulcers and no stomach pain.

Any clues will be appreciated.

(Joey) #2

That does sound unusual, and I’m assuming you’re talking about after a small low-carb meal?

Do you ever test serum glucose with a glucometer? If so, I’d want to know what my pre- and post-prandial glucose levels are.

While the results won’t be a direct insulin measure, the trend (every 1/2 hour for 2-3 hours upon eating) might provide some insulin-related insights.

(Omar) #3

Ok

I will measure it tomorrow but in general the blood sugar goes down because my carb intake is next to zero. But I think the protein elevates my blood sugar to about 90 to 100 then after meals it goes down to 85. I know it is odd.

But I will do test tomorrow and post here

Thanks

(Robin) #4

Probably not applicable, but just in case… cheese in any significant amount puts me to sleep.

Alpha - You mention one meal and no snacks. Is it after this one meal that you feel sleepy? If you are getting a full day’s intake into one meal, that can trigger the parasympathetic nervous system which makes you sleepy.

I had the sleepy thing after eating when I did the OMAD thing for several years. It didn’t go away.

I didn’t do OMAD for long, but when I did, I’d always crash after I ate. Stopped doing OMAD, stopped crashing.

(Joey) #7

Interesting indeed. Between @jackmormon and @lfod14, we’re getting some dots to connect regarding OMAD and sleepiness post-meal.

Come to think of it, on those rare occasions that I wound up fasting for 24hrs, I did feel a bit groggy afterwards. I don’t do it often enough to have given it much thought until now.

(Omar) #8

Amazing

So it could be related to the OMAD

Thank you all

yea related to omad probably.
this other: The “classic” symptoms are gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, heartburn, nausea etc.; and it is the CAUSE of most stomach ulcers.—sounds like it is not you.

So EAT MORE point blank. I think will work :slight_smile: of course life stress and other lifestyle issues come into play and we don’t know that about ya, but kinda think ‘big pic’ on this one ya know!

edited to say, also think you are under fueled ya know :slight_smile:

(Omar) #10

Thankyou Fangs

(Edith) #11

Sometimes, I will get sleepy after I have a meal of fatty beef. It does not happen to me after chicken or pork. Beef tends to be higher in histamine than chicken or pork. I’ve heard eating foods high in histamine can make one sleepy.

(Denise) #12

maybe not at all the same issue that you are having @Alpha, but If I don’t go for a walk or be busy after eating, I want to nap, can’t keep my eyes open. I eat under 30 carbs with 2 regular meals, and after dinner is the most carbs. If I kick back in my chair and watch something on the tube, I will end up falling asleep. I’m 69 if that makes any difference, but after a walk/exercise/errands I never get that tiredness.

(Joey) #13

How true. A little light activity after a meal is a great way to fend off any grogginess. Probably consumes a bit of blood glucose to take the edge off, and either directly or indirectly lowers blood insulin sooner rather than later.

Heavy exercise, on the other hand, would make digestion more difficult by redirecting blood supply to muscles (from digestive system) and invite release of more glucose into the bloodstream (via gluconeogenesis) in response to muscle demand.

(Denise) #14

That’s a good reminder and I’ve heard people say they just can’t take a walk after eating but I think that some might either find it too strenuous for their bodies, but I take it pretty easy, or they just aren’t willing to try. With Keto I never seem to eat too much. It’s like I’ve actually trained myself to “feel” when my tummy is full. I use to worry that I would get hungry later on to close to bedtime, but I never do, and end up fasting 16 (atleast) hours before I break the fast :wink:

I can say I often was less “fresh and awake” after big (but not too big, I mean I needed that food to get properly satiated even using my satiating items) meals myself. Never figured out what is the cause, sometimes it happens, sometimes not… The time of the day doesn’t seem to be a very important factor… I find this normal as it’s so common in my life.

Light activity… Well there is the saying “post mensam stabis, aut mille passus meabis”, that advises the same (standing or 1000 steps ;))… I admit I usually sit down and chill in front of my computer when a bit sleepy after a meal but it depends, I have a nice garden in spring, some steps may be involved…
But I totally use that time for a nap if I need it. I rarely lack sleep but it happens sometimes and I am not the type to nap during the day. But after a nice big meal, in peace, surrounded with the right noises… I can sleep, just a bit but very well.

(Omar) #16

Thanks everyone

About walking after meals

In my case it is next to impossible. That is why I included some strong words in the post title. Otherwise, I wouldn’t even bother to complain.

I have a feeling it is related to stomach acid, or the lack of it.

I start getting serious in experimenting this issue only lately.

(Kirk Wolak) #17

How quickly/slowly do you eat your meal?
If you eat too quickly, you get one big push of insulin…
If you take longer than 30 minutes, you could trigger a second hit of insulin.
(times vary per person), also the more “refined” foods are (more pulverized), the higher the insulin response.

Finally, watch the fat/protein ratios as well. It takes a LOT of energy to get energy out of Protein (about 30% is wasted converting it to energy), whereas fat is converted much more quickly/directly.

I would pay particular attention to your post meal glucose spike/drop. And I would be curious to see if your ketones fall off a cliff…

(Marlow) #18

Besides the need for sleep, are you healthy? Any heart disease? Diabetes? Obesity? What about medications? All these things can influence and or, help to understand what might be happening. How long has this been happening? Did it start slowly or was it like a switch being thrown?

(Omar) #19

Welcome back

When I posted this thread, I thought I might have something wrong like fatty liver or something.

But fortunately all my metrics came fine including calcium score. I might be overweight by 5kg or so not more.

The only health issue I have is diverticulosis manifested by pain in the lower left abdomen area.

That means chronic inflammation/leaky gut.

Thanks for reading.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Leaky gut is greatly helped by one of the ketone bodies, β-hydroxybutyrate. I don’t believe it can make diverticula go away, however, though it can probably help to some extent.