Extreme lower back tightness from walking

newbies
walking

(Sue) #1

Hey all, I am in week 5 of keto (with a couple slips early on). I started walking 2 weeks ago - 6 total walks of 45-60 mins so far, on alternate days, only able to do like a 2.7-2.8mph pace at best. I make it a point to stretch for 20-25 mins after each walk (touch my toes, hamstrings, happy baby pose, lower back, glutes, calves, ankles etc.). So far I can say I have been quiet conscientious in both taking it slow and stretching after each walk. I also started stretching on days when I am not walking and drink 3 ltrs of water each day.

Background: I used to be quite athletic in my teens/20ā€™s, but have been pretty sedentary for a couple yrs now (gained 120 lbs in 3 yrs from inactivity, hypothyroidism, eating a carb addicted diet etc.).

My problem is, I am suffering from pretty severe muscle tightness in my lower back and hips. Like sometimes after I sit or lie down on the couch for a while, I canā€™t get up! I have to wiggle and waggle and push myself up. I was a runner & basketball player in a past life, so I am not new to tight leg muscles and I am putting all of my lessons learnt to good use. I just feel like I am doing everything right so far as I can tell but there seems to be no end in sight. I was in so much pain I took ibrupufin last night. I donā€™t have access to much other forms of cardio right now. Can anyone relate to this or share any of their experiences? Have you used a physiotherapist or chiropractor or massage that helped? Does the pain and tightness go down in another few weeks, or is it a bad sign already that I am in this much pain?

(Liz ) #2

The first thing weā€™re going to ask you about is electrolytes! Tell us what you are doing in regards with sodium, magnesium, and potassium.

(Sue) #3

oh, havenā€™t thought about that! I take a magnesium supplement (150mg) every other day (though not awfully consistently :neutral_face:). I am taking care of an adult who suffers from high blood pressure, so I put minimal salt in everything I make. I donā€™t take anything specifically for potassium.

I make a smoothie with berries (and coconut/almond milk and unsweetened cocoa) for lunch about 4-5 days a week. I use different combos of berries for up to 5 carbs, but I am not sure that counts as a sufficient source of electrolytes.

(Liz ) #4

Definitely research increasing your sodium, magnesium, and potentially your potassium. This way of eating depletes sodium as itā€™s insulin that tells your kidneys to retain salt, sodium is the master electrolyte that balances the others. Once we start lowering insulin, we flush out all our electrolytes. Search on this forum for the term Electrolytes and you will likely get 1,000+ hits. Especially consider supplementing with sodium before exercise.

I get extra magnesium by using magnesium oil spray on stiff or cramped muscles and Epsom salts baths. If I donā€™t take mag citrate (400mg) and potassium (99mg) before bed I get foot cramps in the night. I take salt throughout the day in several ways; I add it to my morning coffee, I salt my food, and I have some Himalayan pink salt crystals which are large and I like to use them like hard candy. But some folks are grossed out by salt directly in the mouth so they take sodium like a supplement.

(Pete A) #5

I can only speak from my experience in walking/hiking having been my primary exercise, that it impacted my hips, lower back directly. Iā€™ve been sore for a few months now haha on and off though, not incredibly painful though.

It sounds like youā€™re mixing it up nicely with stretching, maybe you can work through it? Iā€™ve stretched pretty ambitiously too myself to go with itā€¦

(Sue) #6

Thanks a tonne @LizinLowell. Living with someone whose BP I need to watch (he wonā€™t eat low carb and criticizes me at every turn, while eating sugary processed foods right in front of me :roll_eyes:), has made me go low on sodium myself. I think I will start sprinkling salt on my own plate from today. I started mag citrate because of doctors suggestion for low thyroid (along with selenium), I will speak with her about the dosage and also potassium. I love that this forum has a wealth of information and I am going to start educating myself :smiley:

(Sue) #7

Hi Pete. Congrats on the 60lbs! Yeah, walking affects the back but I have been in such pain and so tight, like when I get up from a chair I walk like a duck for a few seconds, ha ha! I will try to work through it while upping my electrolytes and see how it works. About stretching ambitiously, donā€™t strain too much, only until you feel slight pain in the muscle you are targeting (like 2 on 10). I am sure u know, but I was reminded of something my old coach used to say to a bunch of us 20-something athletes: ā€œyou are stretching your muscles, not your egosā€! Ahhh, to be young and healthy!!

(Pete A) #8

My ego right, Iā€™m lucky I havenā€™t injured myself! :sunglasses:

(Claire Hanchard) #9

I was having a lot of lower back pain so I started bodypump classes to strengthen my muscles and core. I do yoga to improve flexibility and I also do ā€˜the wall testā€™ which is Ashley Black to improve my posture - I have too much curve in my lower spine from not standing correctly- highly fashionable for my curvy bum but not ideal for pain.