Extended Fasts

Hi,

I am on day 4 of my first ever long fast and just feeling so tired and low energy. I am taking electrolyte pills and salt. Is there something more I can be doing?

The reason I have never stuck to long term fasts is the low energy. Even on keto I struggle with energy.

Thanks!

(Tammy) #22

I broke an extended 21 day water fast on Tuesday. I’m almost ashamed to admit how easily it went! I made sure to keep my electrolytes maintained and realize that is the #1 factor in long term success. (I’ve fasted about 25 times over the last 7 or 8 yrs, but this was the first 21 day fast.)
My problem is that even breaking the fast slowly with veggie broth and pickle juice, last night I woke up with terrible body aches and headache. I never had any discomfort the whole 21 days of the fast. In fact, I was amazed at how all my aches and pains had gone away during the time. No 24/7 hip pains. No low back pains. Things were almost too easy to be a fast! I’m not sure I ever remember being this uncomfortable breaking a fast before.
Anyone gone thru the same thing? And suggestions?
Thanks in advance. :upside_down_face:

(Robert) #23

Ending a 7 day fast later today. Like others, fatigue and sluggishness lasted until day 5, when I experienced that keto high. Day 6 was interesting. Lots of energy but starting to crave food again. Also a change in urine from yellow to clear. So my question is related to understanding the signs that I’m at the point for reaching optimal autophagy vs diminishing returns. Any thoughts?