Extended fasting and high level training (4-6 hours/day)

I do daily 23/1 IF but have been curious to try extended 2-4 day fasts but am incredibly active, lifting, 4-6 hours endurance a day so I’ve hesitated because of fear of poor performance. Anyone else who is extremely active and at ideal weight with experience with extended fasting?

(Deb) #2

You might look into Tim Noakes works. He was a distance runner who did a complete 360 into LCHF and has done a ton of research.

Personally, I do fasted intense workouts, but the most I’ve done ( at age 55) is an 8 hour Zumba instructor certification( the equivalent of 4 1 hour classes. That was semi fasted…totally fat-adapted…and I RAN OVER those younger babes like they were standing still! But I still have about 23 % fat.

Thanks! Much of my endurance is low intensity and I seem to thrive training while fasted, most nights I eat just because so curious what would happen if I just followed my natural non hunger. I might just give it a try.

Was this multiple days in a row or an IF type fast?

(Deb) #5

It is so fascinating! My Zumba class last Monday is reputed for it’s super high intensity; I even call the instructor “maniac Marguerita”! I was completely fasted, and at the end, I looked around and everyone was huffing and puffing, and I was like, let’s dance some more! The body is so amazing a machine if you know how it works.

That’s basically how I feel after my daily workouts. People wonder “how do you do it?” I guess I’ll find out if daily feeding is required :slight_smile:

(Deb) #7

Yep. You know your body. You know the signs.