Extended 30 day fast

(Stephanie) #1

Hi, so I’m not new to fasting although previously I didnt have a term for it or know I was doing it. I have started an extended 30 day fast this morning. I weigh 244.6 lbs this morning and tested 0.5 on a keto strip. I will not be testing blood glucose or breath. I am fasting for personal reasons, not so much weight though that wpuld be a plus. I’m only writing this here to hold myself accountable. I will only be stopping my fast for foyr reasons: 1. my heart rate drops significantly. 2. Extreme weakness. 3. Severe pain or swelling. 4. Persistent vomiting accompanied by diarrhea in result of dehydration. Sorry 5 reasons the last being True hunger. The only other reason I would stop fasting is if it starts to directly affect my 3 year old, as I am a stay at home mom. I have taken a mutivitamin everyday for at least 3 weeks to prepare for a lack of nutrients not sure if I will continue taking while fasting. Thinking I won’t as it does constitute as digestion. Up until this morning I have been eating one meal a day all keto approved. I have been eating keto for just over a month. I am going to consume only distilled water. So I guess my stats are as follows:
Day 1.
Height: 5 foot 7 and 3\4 inches
Weight: 244.6 lbs

Measurements
Waist: just under 40 inches
Hips: 51 inches
Bust: 44 inches
Thighs/Buttocks: 50.5 inches

I plan to measure and weigh once a week. I really don’t want to focus on the numbers as I am really fasting for personal reasons not weight loss even though as stated that would be a plus. I hope you all have a good day. Feel free to let me know if I’m missing anything.

(Tom) #2

Good Luck, Stephanie!

(Stephanie) #3

Thank you.

What is the longest you’ve done already?

(Stephanie) #5

Honestly…I couldnt give you an exact number. I can describe circumstances if you’d like.

(Luciana Puentes) #6

I think you are missing the minerals. Listen to Obesity Code, Megan is great explaining about the importance of Salts.
Good luck!

(Stephanie) #7

I have the right salts and tried drinking some today and ended up with…excuse the TMI diarrhea, 1/4 of the way through my drink so I stopped drinking it. I plan on using salt in limited quantities when needed ie.(muscle cramps, headaches and so on).

Distilled water is a bad idea imo. For minerals. It literally strips them out of your body. It is not a good idea in general but I would imagine during a prolonged fast really detrimental. Do you have access to normal bottled source water? That would be much better.

Good luck!

(Stephanie) #10

Day 3
So I have switched to filtered water instead of distilled, I am unable to drink distilled as it tastes disgusting. Hoping my hunger subsides today, I have only been hungry from 7pm - 8pm both day 1 and day 2. I have had slight pangs in my head that feel like headaches starting drank some water and it stopped. Keto strips say 16 when testing urine. Thats a good sign I guess. I will update in a day or two.

(Stephanie) #11

Update

At 5 days I drank gastrolyte to boost my electrolytes with out reasearching and triggered insane hunger and broke my fast. Got very discouraged and disappointed about it so i didnt weigh or do any measurements. I didnt achieve what I wanted to achieve so i will be trying again in a month or two. I apoligize for leaving this with no update for so long.

If the purpose of doing a 30 day fast is to lose weight quickly, such an extreme measure isn’t necessary. I went from obese to normal weight eating one meal every 4-10 days. It took about 7 months and my implementation wasn’t strict (if it had been, probably would have taken half the time). Given my disadvantages: unwillingness to adhere to a diet and being a perimenopausal woman, many folks can achieve better results than I did.

Patience is a virtue that alludes me, so losing fat quickly was important. More importantly, developing a fasting habit gave me a tool that I use to maintain my weight loss. My fasting muscle is well developed- I can undertake a 3-5 day fast at the drop of a hat. If I overindulge for a day (or a week), it’s easily corrected, both mentally and physiologically. I get the results I want without emotional stress or social drama.

(Stephanie) #13

For me its not about weight loss that was just one way to gain some sort of measurement. For me fasting is more for psychological and spritual benefits. I only eat (whole foods) once a day as it is usually supper/dinner. I got through the first four days relatively easily but after drinking gatrolyte to boost my electrolytes I was just ravenous.

(Lonnie Hedley) #14

I’m a dumb American, so I had to look up gastrolyte. It contains glucose. Again, I’m a dumb American so I don’t know for sure, but it looks like a fairly large amount of glucose. I’m not against EF, I actually ended an 88 hour fast today. But I definitely think a 30 day fast is pretty far fetched for most anyone. I think a better path to psychological and spiritual benefits would be to figure out healthy food options with normal portions (low carb/Keto of course). Then build up to IF. Then 24 hours, 3 days, 5 days, 7 days. Maybe then a 10 day fast. I don’t know your history, but a 30 day fast sounded far fetched from your first couple posts on this thread.

Good luck with your future goals. These were merely the thoughts of a dumb American.

@margot17 distilled water is just water that has been boiled, it does not remove electrolytes (minerals) because they are not volatile. You’re thinking about deionized water, which is free of ions (=electrolytes etc). Distilled water is fine to drink, and it has less of the volatile pesticides.

(Doug) #16

Sofie, the distillation process does separate water from the minerals - the water turns to steam, leaving the minerals behind, then is cooled/condensed back into the liquid state.

@OldDoug yes, you’re right!

(Stephanie) #18

Yes gastrolyte has high glucose, I didnt look into it before consuming it. I have done multiple fast in my life just wasnt aware they were fasts. I have gone weeks with out eating at one time or another for various reasons not aware that I was fasting. A 30 day fast does sound like a lot. I do intermitten fasting by only consuming one meal a day as is. I have done 24 hours, 3, 7, 14, 21 days prior with out actual knowledge of fasting. The psychological and spiritual benefits to my knowledge only come into play (as far as I know) after 21 days of fasting. But then again I’m not a dr. Just a dumb canadian, lol