Explanation needed

(Emma Bell) #1

I’m new to all this Keto
I don’t understand how my app tells me that this whole pack of chorizo & cheese is 299 g carbs!
Can someone please explain?

Your app says that there is 299g carbs in 88g stuff? Well, maybe don’t use that failure of an app…

(Emma Bell) #3

I know I don’t get it and because I’m not used to all this I wondered if I was missing something :thinking:
The app is carb manager

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

You’re not missing something. But carb manager is apparently missing a decimal point: 2 . 99.

(Emma Bell) #5

Well that is music to my ears
Thankyou :+1:t3:

(Bob M) #6

Chorizo with over 50% cheese? I’ve never seen that.

I use Carb Manager and have found it to be pretty accurate. There are some foods that users have loaded up - is that one of them? I always check those because sometimes people make mistakes. Also, check that you’re using the correct measurement. Sometimes I’m looking for “ounces” and it’s on Carb Manager as “cups”. That’s a HUGE difference. No worries, CM will convert for you, so just use the dropdown to change from “cups” to “ounces”.

(Emma Bell) #8

I scanned the barcode and it gave up in grams
Definitely correct
But I done the same last night with an oat bar and it said Keto grade A so clearly an issue I’d say

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

:astonished: Be alert. Be aware. There be many mistakes out there! One of the many reasons I use my own spreadsheet.

Wow! I’m really shocked! I’ve been using Carb Manger for about a month and it’s been spot on. HOWEVER, I haven’t been using stuff that other users have loaded up because, well, I don’t eat much prepackaged foods.

(Bob M) #11

Though even your spreadsheet is only an estimate. It’s really not possible to be that accurate. Gross measurements, sure.

This is particularly true in the US, where the 100g rule is not in effect. Salsa, for instance, often uses 2 tablespoons as a serving. Who the f*($ eats only two tablespoons of salsa? Not me. And I’ve seen carbs, protein, and fat each of zero, but calories on the label for salsa. Those calories are coming from somewhere.

And trying to compare dark chocolate is useless, as they all use different serving sizes.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

@ctviggen That’s why those ‘in the know’ use grams as the basic measure. Not ‘serving size’ or tsp or tbls or cups or any of the other totally useless US measures. :dizzy_face: I’m no advocate of the metric system overall, but for measuring food portions it beats everything else. Does this necessitate using a gram scale? I’d say yes. So, if you don’t want to use a scale then everything is pretty much useless.

Now if you want to discuss the inaccuracies of determining calories in and calories out, I’m in full agreement. But that doesn’t mean you can’t measure food portions accurately.

Apps wrong, I just scanned that barcode with cronometer and set it to 4 servings and got 13.6g carbs. What app are you using?

(Emma Bell) #14

Carb manager

(Polly) #15

Hi @Emmakay welcome to this forum.

I find I do better if I avoid industrially processed foods. You may find it OK, we all have different reactions to foods.

What are you hoping to achieve through a ketogenic diet?

(Allie) #16

Your app is wrong clearly, maybe looking at a different brand or bigger pack size loaded with sugar?

1 pack @ 88g makes it 1.584g carbs (as the info given is per 100g)

crazy app for sure :sunny:

if carbs are 1.8g per serving and fiber is 1.6g per servings don’t you keto people net that out…so for 4 servings it would darn near nothing in carbs right?

for me being a total carber I just see…4 servings, 1.8g carbs and make it 7.2 total carbs for eating up the whole package.

(bulkbiker) #18

It’s a European/UK style food label so fibre is listed separately.

Plus the " serving size" is 22g so there are 1.8 g of carbs in 100g
1.584g in the whole 88 g pack.

me bad :wink: didn’t even notice any of that but cool you got it handled, cause you know carb counts for sure :slight_smile:

(Allie) #20

Is it the same as My Fitness Pal where anyone can enter nutrition info for a product? If so, whoever entered it screwed up.

Use Cronometer instead, so such errors on there.