Explanation needed

(Emma Bell) #21

Hi
I just want to lose a few pounds, feel better and have more energy!
I’m not way in to this (yet?) but it won’t help that the app is confusing me already :woman_facepalming:t4:

(Emma Bell) #22

Downloading it now - thanks :blush:

I weigh everything I eat and use the macro info for ounces. I never do tspn or TBSP - just too inaccurate. I’m trying, very hard, to metally switch to grams. Ugh. I HATE the stupid US system. I have to think, grams, grams, grams. Thankfully, my scale can switch between ounces and grams with just a touch of a button. I’m trying to learn the visual of what ounces of something looks like, and then grams as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

The problem lies not with the units of measurement, but with how the labeling laws have been corrupted in the U.S. By law, manufacturers are permitted to define the serving size for their product and, by law, are permitted to list amounts less than 0.5 g per serving as 0 grams and amounts under 1.0 g/serving as Under 1 g. It is therefore wise to assume that a listing of “0 g” per serving means an actual content of 0.499999999999999999 grams and that “Under 1” means 0.99999999999999999 grams. Then, when you figure out the actual amount in a real-sized serving, you end up with a more realistic carb count.

The requirement (in Europe and other civilised locales) to list contents per 100 g of product eliminates this particular dodge.