Expert help needed with my food diary - Am I doing it correctly?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

If you do, get it without the fake butter. That stuff is all polyunsaturated fatty acids and is terrible for you. Consider sneaking in some real butter and putting that on. Don’t go bonkers with the popcorn, but Prof. Benjamin Bikman eats keto, has popcorn with his kids, and says it doesn’t seem to affect him too badly. I hope this is true, because I do miss my popcorn (probably shouldn’t eat the entire bowl by myself, though?)

I make Fathead pizza for the family once a week, or once every other week, and will have 2-3 slices. If there are any left over (usually the case), I will have a slice or two the next day for lunch. There’s some carbohydrate in the cheese and the almond flour, but the rest is protein and fat, so I don’t worry about it too much.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Sorry, Bob, but that’s not one of the languages I speak. Translation, please? :rofl::rofl:

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #23

My bad, it was almost 3 months before I freaked out over losing to much, it takes a while to get adapted but I would guess that everyone is different

Thank you so much all. I am learning so much now :slight_smile: Wendy’s has chili?? Awesome :slight_smile:

Does anyone of you have a food diary I can look to see what you guys actually eat? :slight_smile:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #25

I don’t keep a food diary but here’s what I ate today, for example

Breakfast–coffee with heavy cream, splenda and three sausages

Lunch–1 can diet Mt. Dew, tin of sardines in oil and three string cheeses

Dinner-- Bacon, mushrooms cooked in bacon grease, sliced tomato with mayo on top. 2 oz of 100 % Bakers Chocolate.

(note: I am not suggesting anyone use Splenda or drink diet pop, just being honest about what I had.)

Thank you PetMarie,
I appreciate that you listed everything you had today, especially the soda. You see, from what I read, assuming we have self control and stay within the macro range, it’s OK to have fat head pizza, soda, low carb bagels and even my keto baked good I bought from Etsy :blush: I know it is not recommended to have splenda, diet soda, etc. but I think compared to what we were eating pre-keto, what we eat now is really good!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #27

For me, I have to pick and choose my battles. If I have to choose between a diet soda or a handful from the gigantic bowl of Hershey kisses I walk past 100 times a day at work, I choose the diet soda.

I think if I thought everyone was doing it perfectly and I wasn’t it would be harder for me to feel good about myself. We should all do our personal best and keep switching it up if something isn’t working and most importantly, not compare ourselves to others. Have fun figuring out what works for you, it’s neat, I think.

All the podcasts on 2ketodudes have keto recipes in them.
They are good delicious recipes.

(Laurie) #29

Previously, I had two threads where I kept track of my food. The first one (65 . . .) reported what I ate for each meal. In the second one (66 . . .) I listed my intake by type of food. I measured my food, but I didn’t list carbs and so on, because I feel I already have a good sense of what’s in various foods (having worked with food for much of my life, and having read labels since childhood). I hope this helps:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/65-years-old-65-days-of-keto/54690

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/66-years-66-days/64494

Thanks for your reply. I am confused now, aren’t we supposed to have so much fat?

Nice, thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, very helpful. I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

PetaMarie,

I could not agree more. If you have a choice with one bad thing WITH sugar and one bad thing WITHOUT, then the second one would be a better choice :slight_smile:

We’re all doing it right, just our own way :slight_smile:

Welcome to the group.

Looks like you’re doing great.

But tweaks are par for the course. We all have to make them.

You may or may not have been knocked out of keto but it can happen. Just go back to 20g carbs and wait it out.

I got knocked out of keto by some hidden carbs. You never know what the industrial “food” makers are up to.

I had home made veggie lasagne with passata (tomato) from a jar. There’s the hint “from a jar”. I thought I’d be okay. But the blood analyser was showing a stone cold zero. That week I gained 2 lbs, previously I was loosing 1 or 2 lbs per week.

Not sure if those brownies and pound cakes are guilty as charged but you need to triple check.

If in doubt - don’t.

You can always try them again later and carefully see how you go.

What you’re doing is by and large right. Just watch the tiny tiny glitches which can trip you up.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

The main purpose of fat on a well-formulated ketogenic diet is to provide a source of calories that does not stimulate the secretion of insulin—“safe” calories, in other words. Some people feel that if one eats too much fat, one’s body won’t metabolize any of its excess stored fat. Myself, I believe that my body is more flexible than that, so I don’t worry about it. I let my body tell me how much to eat by how it regulates my appetite. If I am hungry, I eat; if not hungry, I don’t eat. So far, it seems to work.

Hi PaulL,
This makes sense, thank you.

I have noticed that since I started keto, I lost inches, the clothes fit better. I used one of my test strips last week and got a very light pink. How do you guys test your level of Ketone?

Thanks

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #38

I used urine test strips the first week to know if I was in ketosis. Now they are collecting dust or I sometimes use them if I’ve fallen off the wagon but mostly folks don’t use them regularly once they’re in ketosis and/or fat adapted.