Experimental studies on diabetes - 1920

(Richard Morris) #1

“Practically every detail of clinical diabetes can be reproduced in partially depancreatized animals(dogs)”

“Every detail of the downward progress of human patients on various diets is reproduced in such animals. They lose assimilation and die most rapidly on diets rich in carbohydrate, and less rapidly on excess of other foods.”

“Varying degrees of success and failure in the dietetic control of diabetes are also illustrated. The benefit of the classical treatment by exclusion of preformed carbohydrate and limitation of protein is confirmed, in the prolongation of life and well-being to some extent in nearly all cases and perhaps indefinitely in some of the mildest cases.”

I cherry picked a bunch of statements that supports what we now know 97 years later - a high carb diet kills diabetics, a low carb diet prolongs their lives. But I find it remarkable that we knew this almost a century ago and yet Diabetes Australia is still feeding diabetics high carb diets.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

Is that the original text from 1920? the language seems surprisingly modern for a 97 year old paper.

(Jaidann) #3

@richard

Here is one from 1929. I found it really interesting :slight_smile:

(Nigel Williams) #4

I’m reading this book Honest Medicine: Effective, Time-Tested, Inexpensive Treatments for Life-Threatening Diseases https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0982969015/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bgm3ybDTG6VPS

And there was a link to studies of the ketogenic diet from 1920s onwards

(Nigel Williams) #5

Just realised this threads about diabetes from the 1920s not Keto from 1920s sorry :roll_eyes:

Still very interesting! Thank you for this!

(Nigel Williams) #7

Yes they are an interesting read if for no other reason that it lists earlier medical pros working on this who have been forgotten.

Here’s part 2