Experiment: Standing desk

experiment
exercise

(jketoscribe) #41

I’ve had my adjustable standing desk a few weeks now and still really like it. I prefer standing to sitting until very late in the day when I just get tired.

(Stephanie ) #42

I have been standing at work for a year and one-half. After six weeks I was completely used to it.

To get started I put reams of paper under the legs of my desk. That allowed me to experiment with different heights. I ended up with 5 reams of paper under each leg.

As part of my mindfulness work I set a timer for 25 to 30 minutes and either do some stretches or leg bends or sit down and return phone calls for awhile.

(David Driver) #43

Total NSV today! It is the Medieval Fair in Norman this weekend. I go pretty much every year, and every year I hobble out with some pretty bad back pain. Except this year was entirely pain free! After just a few weeks of using the standing desk my back is enough stronger that we walked the entire time without without having to sit and we walked about 50% more than usual. I am absolutely converted to standing desks now. It is that dramatic.

(David Driver) #44

I am sure that having lost sixty pounds over the last two years helped too but I believe the majority of it is the desk.

(Keto in Katy) #45

Glad to hear the good news about your back @David_Driver — I don’t know if there is much science on this but I just feel that we are not evolved to sit for extended periods. I feel crappy when I do, and feel better when I stand a lot more. I’m sure for one thing we get better circulation when standing, yes?

(MakinBacon) #46

That Jarvis desk looks amazing!

(Keto in Katy) #47

The Jarvis Bamboo Adjustable Standing Desk was delivered yesterday. I still need to do some cleanup with all the cabling, but it is up and working.

The bamboo surface is really nice and smooth. I added a secondary shelf (from Ikea) along the back to elevate my external 28 inch monitor and provide a little more surface space. The desk moves up and down very smoothly and there are 4 programmable buttons so you can set your preferred heights.

(David Driver) #48

@stacy, that is a sharp desk. Would you mind telling me how much the shipping cost?

(Keto in Katy) #49

@David_Driver The desk configuration I ordered was $699 and shipping was included.

(David Driver) #50

I remember that they used to make workbenches that had mechanical screws that would raise and lower the work surface with a crank. They were used in higher end assembly work. I wonder if those are still available.

(David Driver) #51

Yes, they still make them and their price starts around where the Jarvis ends. And they are mechanical so I think I am going to order a Jarvis for home.

(Todd Allen) #52

After a week of standing instead of sitting my feet are a bit sore. As I continue to adapt and get more used to standing I expect this will fade. I’m finding it increasingly easy to eat meals, type and do many things I had only done while sitting.

One thing I didn’t expect has been a dramatic improvement in bowel transit time. I wasn’t truly constipated before, just slow, with food typically taking 3 to 4 days to make its exit after ingestion. And now it is 2 days. This is a big win for me and I’m glad this thread prompted me to try it.

I’ve have had a sit/stand desk at work for about 3 years. I love it. I did force myself to only use it in the standing position about a year and a half ago. I have back problems from a fall a few years ago, so it’s really helped with that. I don’t stand all day, but any time I need the computer, I have to stand. Which is a lot throughout the day. Don’t forget to add a cushioned mat under your feet. I have one that the office paid for (kind of thin) and added a thicker one (kitchen type) on top of the first one. That really saves your feet. Plus, I never stand still. I’m always shifting around, almost figgity (is that a word?).

One last thought, I always wear comfortable shoes to work. If I don’t for some reason I will take my shoes off. :smiling_imp:

(Keto in Katy) #55

I told you! :grinning:

Is it important to have some sort of ledge for a foot, like how bars have that brass rail at ground level?

(David Driver) #57

Some people do but I don’t. Also some desks have a built in “fidget bar” that allows you to swing foot. I just have a standing mat.

(Keina Bowling) #59

I was getting sore feet while standing until I started using a standing mat. Here is the one I am using stand steady diplomat standing mat.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #60

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2017-12-04/is-your-standing-desk-doing-more-harm-than-good

Apparently, all that standing isn’t all that great for you either… a mix of sit/stand/walk is apparently optimal for desk work.

(Todd Allen) #61

I wear sneakers with soft soles and my feet are ok but if I had to wear dress shoes I bet I’d be looking for a mat.

(Todd Allen) #62

I have a computer notification pop up every hour reminding me to move. I could probably turn it off now as it’s becoming habitual.