Experiencing Keto Flu …. Again

(Kiethen) #1

I went on carnivore for 2 weeks and decided to head back to keto… i’m experiencing coldness, headaches, dry mouth, stomach discomfort and fatigue. Is this normal? Eating the same on carnivore just adding 2 avocados in to make it keto. One for breakfast and one for dinner. Is this normal?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It doesn’t sound like keto “flu,” which is lack of sodium. The symptoms are headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, constipation, and headaches.

The symptoms you describe, especially the coldness and fatigue, sound like a lack of protein. Try eating more meat. Don’t restrict your food.

(Joey) #3

Curious as to why carnivore would likely result in a lack of protein? Wouldn’t this be a diet leaning more heavily on protein in the caloric mix than most any other WOE? :thinking:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I’m thinking @Kiethenbbundy has cut consumption by returning to keto from carnivore. Feeling cold and tired is definitely a symptom of a lack of protein.

Otherwise, you are correct: eating meat only for three meals a day should provide abundant protein and plenty of energy (in the form of fat).

(Kiethen) #5

I am under my protein intake after switching , I’ll try that…. Thank you Paul, like always.

(Joey) #6

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought experiencing these symptoms prompted a switch to reduce meat and introduce avocados. Not the other way 'round.

Unclear why a couple of avocados would cause any protein deficiency symptoms, but I’ll live and learn.

(Allie) #7

Sounds more like a lack of over all calories to me. How much are you actually eating?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #8

Covid? … just a thought

(KM) #9

That is just what I was thinking. When I under-eat or fast I tend to be cold.

(Kiethen) #10

1850 calories a day.
123 g of protein and 154 grams of fat. I’m 5’9 and 150 lbs. I’ve been on this for about almost 2 months now didnt have issues at all. Went from keto then to carnivore then I switched back to keto after 2ish weeks on carnivore and started noticing dry skin and coldness. Switching back to carnivore today. Don’t feel as fatigued or tired after eating but still experiencing dry skin and coldness but the coldness is not as bad as yesterday I don’t think.

(Kiethen) #11

I don’t get cold during fasting though. Only after I eat

(Kiethen) #12

Possibly… I have to take a test

(Allie) #13

It could still be your body adapting as this is still so new to you, but that’s not a lot of food either. I easily eat 2k a day and am 5’ 3" around 130lbs.

(Kiethen) #14

So I uptake my full carb count today back to 30 grams of how it was when I first started w keto… and for some reason my face feels tight and puffy , its dry and my body feels just weird kinda like a water retention feeling. Could it just be my body reacting cause it has carbs again/ me switching back to keto? I went full carnivore for 2 weeks. This is so hard. sorry for all the questions. Im such a newbie at this still.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Yeah, glucose attracts water. No wonder you’re feeling a bit puffy. Imagine how you’d feel if you went back to your pre-keto/pre-carnivore way of eating, how bloated you’d be then!

(Kiethen) #17

Will it pass? I’m going back to Keto. Carnivore is not for me. Is it normal to have symptoms of dry skin and a bit of
water retention when switching back to keto? (post
withdrawn by author, I had 30 grams of carbs today for
the first time will be automatically deleted in 2-3ish weeks
of O carbs and my body feels weird. Face is puffy and dry
and it feels tight. So does my body. Kinda feels like
dehydration. Not sure. Will it pass? Oh and fatigue too. I
read somewhere saying it’s my body transitioning back to
keto but not so sure. Wanted your expert opinion on it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

I suspect things will settle down for you soon. Give it time. The water retention is certainly normal. The dry skin, I don’t know.

My own experience is that my skin on keto is neither dry nor greasy, so I’d suggest waiting it out. Use lotion if you have to, and see what happens.

(Kiethen) #19

I’m wanting sweet things all of a sudden… looking at a picture of ice cream makes my mouth water … is this normal? I wouldn’t think cause I went from carnivore over to keto. Puffiness is getting better but feel a bit dehydrated :confused: appetite slowly combing back. Barely had any on carnivore

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Well, if you are a sugar/carb addict, as I am, then it’s perfectly natural to crave sugar and carbs, especially if you’re eating some. The advantage of carnivore, for a sugar/carb addict, is that one is abstaining from the addictive substance. I’m finding that I don’t trip over the carbs people leave lying around the house, the less carbohydrate I actually eat.

(Kiethen) #21

I’m going to try to lower my protein intake and kick my fat intake a bit more to see if that does anything. I’m thinking when I was on carnivore it was too high in protein and now my body maybe be confused or adjusting still? I’m thinking 80% fat and 20% protein.
Is 140 grams of fat and 80 grams of protein a good place to start?