Exogenous Ketones question please!

Could anyone shed some light on the benefits (or negatives) of taking an Exogenous Ketone supplement? Specifically, I understand that our body will break fat into ketones to burn as fuel, but won’t our bodies just use the ketone supplement to burn instead of breaking down body fat? I’m reading that a lot of people take them and see weight loss results, but I feel like they would negate our own body’s natural Ketosis. Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

Sorry I am not very familiar with the topic. And I’m no fan of any supplements. But the book “the ketogenic bible” Explores the topic. And the authors are seeking to establish themselves as the exogenous ketone experts. They have some papers on the subject as well.

But it seems your logic is correct if you’re not burning your own fat and I can’t see how you going to lose it. I think it’s more for a use in a performance context?

For nine out of ten people, it’s just expensive pee.

(Charlotte) #4

The only supplement I do is add Marine Collagen to my coffee because I don’t eat fish. A majority of the time supplements and specialty keto foods are just companies making empty claims to make a quick buck off the trendy. I think people who claim results are actually doing fine without them but they don’t know any better.

A comparison someone made the other day…

Exogenous ketones are like someone throwing other people’s sweat on you while you exercise and then claiming you’re getting a more intense workout because you have more sweat on you.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #6

I think you are right in that if your body uses the exogenous ketones for fuel it won’t be using your own and therefore might not produce more of its own thereby burning less of your own fat.

(Consensus is Politics) #7

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:
:woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:
:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

(Consensus is Politics) #8

Thats my theory as well. Its like eating more glucose so you can burn more energy.

In my opinion, exogenous ketones are snake oil sales jumping on the next big thing. Even snake oil salesman abhor a vacuum.

Although, for people with certain ailments, they might prove useful. I cant think of any off hand, but its possible I suppose.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #9

I think there is a trial to see if they help Alzheimer’s patients.

Also professional endurance athletes use them to give themselves energy like marathon runners etc.

(christian) #10

Contributing to this thread (yes, I know it’s almost two years old) as I will be experimenting with exogenous ketones during my half marathon prep. Will post my results. Preliminary results are that they give you a nice energy bump!

(Bob M) #11

That could be true. I listened to a podcast where this is what they were discussing, using exo ketones during and after exercise. They said there were possible benefits.

(Tim Cee) #12

Why do some people seem to lose weight on them? Is it placebo?

(Bob M) #13

I think there are different theories. Here’s some info:

They make this statement:

I have to say that if this is true, it’s less true for me. My ketones are basically near zero in the morning, yet I’ve lost all the weight I gained trying The Croissant Diet.

Though Diet Doctor got some not so great results when they tested them:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/exogenous-ketones#exogenous-ketone-results

The whole article is a worthwhile read, but here’s one results table:

I have tried exo ketones just to try (not after exercise), and had less than encouraging results. They made me feel “jittery”. So I never tried them again.

I think they are useful to try, though, especially for exercise. I just don’t exercise enough to need a supplement.

(Alec) #14

The whole idea of exogenous ketones being helpful for weight loss is just laughable.

Making or using ketones is not the goal of the ketogenic diet. They are just a by-product of what we are trying to achieve: burning fat.
Cheers
Alec

(Bob M) #15

I think where exo ketones might do well is for things like mental health, migraines, possibly cancer. Areas where there is some research that ketones help.

Applying exo ketones to weight loss for people already on a keto diet has issues. For one, everyone has different levels of ketones. I have also found those to change over time. Years ago, I got >1mmol/l with no problems. Now, I can only get those (in the morning) if I fast multiple days. So, even if exo ketones raised my BHB or other ketones, would it have any effect?

(christian) #16

I also heard the post exercise claim.

I can say this, I took a scoop before my long run on Saturday and I felt like a stud out there. I may experiment this Saturday with a scoop before and scoop after and report back.