Exercising 30 minutes twice a week - enough or ideal?

intesity
weights
exercise
muscles

(Jamie Hayes) #1

Here’s a great FB post and chart from Slow Burn author Fredrick Haan.

If you’re interested in getting maximum results in the minimum time you’ll like his work. He argues for a whole body (versus spilt routines where you do different body part exercises on different days) workout done twice a week. Each whole body session lasts between 15 and 30 minutes. He uses low-momentum super-slow single-set compound-exercise-only technique. One key difference is that his single set (“Set” describes each attempt to do a number of repetitions or sustain a weight.) lasts about 50-100 seconds which is 3 to 4 times the time taken for a traditional weight lifting set of faster moving 5-10 reps.

If you look at the graph you’ll see that muscle adaptation occurs in the “Supercompensation” period 2 to 4 days after the workout, not during the workout. Doing more strength exercises of the same body parts during this phase is counter-productive.

Of course this does not prevent you doing “physical activities” like walking, cycling, dancing, playing sports etc… which all have health and emotional benefits.

Protagonists will argue “If I do more reps and/or sets and more often I’ll get even better results.” I won’t get into this argument as I believe that the routine that you believe in and have time for is likely the routine you’ll stick to and that will work better than the one you don’t stick to.

But if you can’t or don’t want to allocate much time to exercise, or want to try something different, then super-slow single-set high-intensity training is safe and effective for all ages. It can be done in the gym, the park or at home with body-weight exercises (as promoted by Dr Ted Naiman).

PS: My routine is just as Fred recommends except my “rest between sets” is one week! I only go to the gym for 30 minutes on Sundays. But I do enjoy some functional exercises at home, do laps sometimes and either go for a cycle or morning walk that includes 5 sets of some decent stairs in the park.

Great information.

Another high-profile person that recommends this type of training and recovery is Dr. Doug McGuff and he’s all over YouTube.

http://www.drmcguff.com/

(Jamie Hayes) #3

Yes of course. Doug is great.

@JamieHayes I know this is an old thread, but in case you’re still around, I have a question for you: can you do a decent super slow training at home?
I’m getting curious about using it for the resistance side of my training (I do other things as well, but Id love to make sure I get some weight training in once or twice/week). I have kettle bells at home and could get some dumb bells but not a full gym set-up.

If I get Haan’s book, will I be able to use the concepts with a rotation of kb exercises?

(Jamie Hayes) #5

@Madeleine sorry for the delayed response. Yes you can do super-slow at home. Rather than thinking about your equipment, I’d suggest you think about your body parts.

Lower body pushing
Think about squats or lunges. These can be done with just body weight or carrying extra weight (dumbells, barbells or kettlebells).

Total body pulling
Deadlifts with barbell, dumbells or kettlebells

Upper body pushing
It’s hard to beat push ups.

Upper body pulling
It’s hard to beat pull ups,

More upper body pushing
Think shoulder presses with weights or kettlebells

More upper body pulling
Single arm rows (supporting your back with the other arm resting on a chair) with a weight can work well.

General guidelines
Get a clock with a second hand.
Always lift slowly (either 5 seconds or super-slow 10 seconds), do not rest at top, then lower slowly, not resting at the bottom.
Do as many as you can tolerate with good form.
On any exercise when you can go 100 seconds or more, increase the weight a little next time.
Record the exercise, weight and seconds + date on a card, or spreadsheet
Leave at least 48 hours between workouts. (I leave a week, but would get better results if I did it 2x per week,)

(Tim) #6

According to what I’ve read from Doug McGuff, you should wait at least 7-10 days between each session to allow your body enough time to fully recover. It’s during this recovery time when all the gains occur.

I’ve been doing this type of exercise for a year now and am very pleased with the results. Each session, I see gains from the session before, even after going 2-3 weeks between them. I do wonder, however, how my total progress over the year would have been impacted if I increased the frequency of my workouts.

Jamie, thank you so much! I’ve been doing something pretty close to your suggestions but will incorporate some new movements from your post.
I’ve been going to failure and then pushing for 10 additional seconds, so any weights over my head are a little scary but I’ve used military presses since the worst that can happen is a faceplant :slight_smile:

I’m curious about the timing/spacing out of workouts as well. The full week + of recovery time makes sense to me but I wonder if it depends on how you’re working out: if you’re using machines you can probably get an activation and failure that’s a bit different than free weights and body weight exercises (??? not sure about this but without coaching my guess is there’s something to this).

(Chris) #9

What do you define as results? Muscle gain? Strength gain? Fat loss? Explosive movement improvement? There’s no defined goal to this post, as far as I can tell. Who is this for?

Wondering what your results are, and so I’m basically asking the same as asked of @JamieHayes by @Dread1840. Having a year of this “under your belt” it seems like you should have some details you can share and help get some of us that are new to the super-slow w/ extended recovery days inspired.

I love lifting, but want to get the most out of the time I have available, which often is too little for regular sets and especially when working different muscle groups over 3 different days/week. So I always work the full body and wonder, just how are you measuring your results. Plus, I’m a woman, almost 52 and about 15 lbs over my goal weight and at least 3 inches above my desired waist measurement, considering the waist to height ratio.

Thanks for any help or anecdotal info you have to offer :smiley:

(Tim) #11

According to Dr McGuff, one important aspect of the super slow method is the constant load on the muscle the right type of machine will provide. Most machines and free weights have a load arc where the resistance varies depending on where you are in that arc.

Thank you! I’ve been wondering a lot about this, because often I’m near failure at one part of a movement, but once I get through that spot I can generally manage another full repetition. I don’t want to have to join a gym but it sounds like it would be helpful to make the most of his method (and even then, it depends on which machines). Since I knew I’d be doing it with bodyweight exercises to start, I barely skimmed that portion of BBS. Time to go back and read some more…

(Chris) #13

@tsyork any insight on this?

(Tim) #14

I don’t belong to a gym but work with a trainer who determines the best weight and tracks my progress. It is a little pricey ($75 per session in SF) but, if possible, I would highly recommend it, at least to start out. Part of the reason I stopped going every week was because of the cost but, as an investment in my future health, it’s totally worth it to go at least 1-2x per month. I figure that it’s much cheaper than what my future medical bills will likely be without it.

(Tim) #15

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I don’t have a lot of details with regard to increases in weights except to say that my progress has been very steady. Almost without exception, each time I go in, I’m able to do either a pound or 2 more than the previous session and/or extend the time to failure by 15-20 seconds. I know it probably doesn’t sound like much, especially when coming from a traditional lifting program where you expect increases in larger increments, but I have noticed real improvements in body composition and overall fitness.

Keep in mind that it’s not an approach you would use to bulk up. The primary goal is improving functional strength and cardiovascular stamina. This is where I’ve seen the most improvement. Before starting the program, I had chronic shoulder and lower back pain as well as tendon pain in my right bicep near the elbow. This has all but disappeared. Chores that involve lifting heavy objects, which I would avoid like the plague before, I now look forward to.

As I mentioned in a different response on this thread, I did start out by going weekly to a trainer but have cut back due to cost. Still, if you can at all afford it, I would recommend at least beginning with a few trainer-let sessions because proper form is so important. Once you have the basics down, you can switch to body weight exercises or go to a gym to do the workout.

Lastly (I apologize for rambling), however you do the workout, if you don’t feel like you’ve had your ass kicked at the end of it, you’re not doing it right. It is and should be a very difficult twenty minutes. Your goal should be to push through the first couple of points during each exercise where you think you can’t go any more and get to the point where it is truly physically impossible to go any further. Then, once you can’t push forward any longer, make sure to hold the weight at that spot for at least 10 seconds. According to Dr. Ted Naiman, this is where the magic happens. This is the point where you engage muscles at a level that you can’t with any other exercise and where the body responds by increasing your strength to prevent the same failure next time. Here’s a great video where he explains what’s going on: https://youtu.be/RlYXb1xs86U

Hopefully, this helped answer some of your questions. If there’s any other information I can provide, I’m happy to help.

Very good, and thank you for this link as well. I’m going to lift this afternoon, body-weight and free-weights at home. Just need that pull-up bar…why did I give it to my son!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The typical recovery/supercompensation time is not the same for all components of fitness (neuromuscular coordination/fibre activation, muscle growth; alactic, lactic and aerobic systems in the cell; cardiovascular adaptaitons) and vary according to athlete (age, lifestyle, past training, etc.). That’s why training efficiently is not easy…

For instance, runners can typically do two, sometimes three, sessions a week, the rest is just active recovery and general running (not immediately useful but has a slow, long-term impact on efficiency).

@tsyork, thank you for your advice and your thoughts!