Exercise: targeted keto or zero carb

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

Can I build muscle and strength with zero carb ? Currently I have a steady increase in my cardio exercise and a steady increase in weight lift.
I am starting to feel my hunger/satisfaction states very disrupted. After workout I feel intense hunger all day and I can not do omad. I overeat meat, dairy and nuts. I started exercising regularly (4 days a week) 2 weeks ago. I do not feel I have a balanced and organized eating habit anymore.
I think my weight loose keto + omad diet I used last year is not suitable for getting fit and strong.

(Carl Keller) #2

Sounds like the carnivore diet and I’m prettty sure if you google that, you will find that you can build muscle without carbs.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

OMAD is more for maintenance Keto
If you’re looking to build strength, you can do that without carbs and carb cycling but you DO need to eat more. Maybe two meals a day?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The key to muscle-building is protein, so you can certainly do that on a ZC/carnivore diet. Be sure to get enough protein, and be sure it contains the essential BCAA’s, leucine, iso-leucine, and valine. They are not so great in quantity for most of us, but are really necessary for building muscle. If you do a Google search on essential branched-chain amino acids, plenty of references will come up, including lists of foods that contain them.

If you are in need of more energy, be sure to get plenty of monounsaturated fat. Good sources are butter, tallow, and lard, which are all close to 50% saturated and 50% monounsaturated.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #5

For Energy I use a MCT powder stuff for gym. It has 73 grams of fat in 100g.
I did not knew about leucine, thank you.
I made a new gym friend. He told me that I should have a teaspoon of pure sugar after every workout… Talking to other guys in the gym I feel stupid with my intention of building muscle with low to zero carb. I did lie about my eating to the guys there… I do like to ask advide from the well build guys and beside the eat protein they also recomand carbing up.
Starting this Monday I eliminated nuts and vegetables because all they do is stimulate my appetite. I decided I will have breakfast in the days I workout witch will consist of eggs and dairy (not gym days will me omad). My primary meal will include 2 types of meat: chicken and pork.
Currently as I have steady increased cardio and the weight I find myself with intense muscle pain…