Exercise focus for total beginners?

(Victoria) #1

Apologies if this has been asked before - I couldn’t find anything similar enough!

So I’ve just started keto about a week ago and am a TOTAL beginner. My goals are, initially, totally weight loss focused and I want to boost my loss by exercising. I’ve just joined the gym but, as I kept fit with dance when I was younger, I have no idea what I need to be doing.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to do at the gym? I’ll need to build up as my fitness level is very, very low and I weigh 192lbs at 5’2". I’m just at a total loss and the personal trainers at the gym are very unhelpful. I’m not fasting or anything, just trying to follow a ketogenic diet and not eat too much. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

First, a question: What do you think you would enjoy enough to keep doing?

(You don’t need exercise to be successful with keto.)

(Victoria) #3

Thanks for replying! I’ve never enjoyed any type of exercise since I was a teenager (when I did dancing) but I don’t loathe it!

There are some dance-y classes at the gym (zumba etc) which I plan on taking once my fitness level is up. I tried them a few weeks ago and I can’t manage more than 20 minutes so I’d like to up my stamina and such a bit before I go again as not being able to do the whole class definitely dampens my enjoyment. I just always feel lost when I go in the gym, there are so many machines and I never know if I need to be doing cardio, weight machines, free weights etc!

So, walk if you feel you need to? Get a handle on this way of eating first. You’ll find the urge to exercise, or not, later.

Meanwhile…Welcome! Congratulations on your commitment. You’ve found a friendly place. Never be shy about asking questions.

(Victoria) #5

Thank you! I’m excited to have lots of knowledgeable people to ask. Honestly, I kind of have the urge to exercise now, I just have no idea what to do! I still don’t enjoy but I kind of want to do it if that makes sense?

(Dan Dan) #6

Try this to build up strength and endurance :grin:

The Four Minute Workout is a new concept of exercise that revolves around the body’s ability to use Nitric Oxide for muscle growth. This is an efficient anaerobic workout that can be done multiple times per day. The more frequently you do it, the better your results.

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Michael ) #7

Since you’ve got a gym membership, strength training is good. I have grown to enjoy it a lot. At least i think i look happier than the poor miserable carbaholics spending 2 hours on a cardio machine. I do cardio a couple of times a week but working out with weights is awesome. I used to research a few new lifts and work on getting the form down every week. Over time, it became effortless and i rarely looked confused at the gym. Just don’t stress about going to the gym. Losing weight is only 15 percent exercise. So keep going with the keto, but my suggestion for an enjoyable activity is weights

(Pete A) #8

I would start by setting a required minimum for yourself of something like this Zach Bush video, with 20 minutes on the treadmill. And take it from there…

5 months and 60 pounds ago I could hardly get through any exercise but have ramped up since by starting slow and adding. And focusing on activity that builds my core.

Have fun!

(Victoria) #9

@Fat_Mike do you think I’d get much benefit from the weight machines as opposed to the free weights? Just I have 0 idea of what to do with freeweights but obviously if they’re going to be much better for me I’ll just have to find someone to ask!

@Pete_A is that running on the treadmill - because I definitely can’t manage that at the moment :pensive:

(Pete A) #10

Not at all. Better even slow, knowing completing the 20 minutes is a challenge enough, and each day it’ll be easier (and show results) as your body acclimates to fat burning.

I’m glad to hear you say that the idea of exercising energizes you. My keto journey wouldn’t be what it is without it! :grin:

(Victoria) #11

@Pete_A phew! People often underestimate how unfit I am :joy: I think I could maaybe manage it walking though. I want to lose weight but I also just feel so unfit and I want to fix that. I was so flexible and had so much energy when I was a bit younger and I’m only 24 - far too young to be feeling like this!

(Dan Dan) #12

Most Gyms have recumbent exercise bikes its much easier and all the benefits :grin:

(Victoria) #13

@Dan_Dan no idea what those are but I’m gonna go google now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

EDIT: Ohhh, the ones with the seats that don’t hurt. Gotcha!

(Dan Dan) #14

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #15

Get “Body by Science” by Doug McGuff. It was recommended to me here on these forums. The answer to your question is: “cardio” is basically worse than a waste of time, it’s a recipe for injury and wearing away your joints.

12 mins a week of very intense strength training is all you need to build strength, improve insulin resistance, and improve your metabolic rate so that you burn more fat more quickly.

@SlowBurnMary will tell you more if you have any further questions. As far as I can tell, this is probably the optimal exercise regimen, if you believe in, you know, science.

EDIT: I used to try maximize the number of steps I took each day, and even bought a FitBit recently. As soon as I read McGuff, my new goal is to minimize unnecessary activity that puts a strain on my joints, and to only do activities optimized to improve my health/fitness. Aka very specific resistance training exercises.

EDIT2: And if you’re not excited about doing exercise at all, focus on your diet for the first little while. Once you start seeing the fat melt away, you’ll want to do some sort of physical activity.

EDIT3: Most doctors will tell you to utterly ignore all the suggestions I’m making here. The medical establishment believes that many many hours a week of “cardio” are necessary. The science does not back this claim up, but please do not regard any of my suggestions as medical advice. It’s just my opinion.

(Pete A) #16

You are never too unfit to start some where. The simplest exercise done regularly will have an impact. You can incorporate something like “callanetic-type” exercise reps which you can do several times a day too.

Callanetics

If you don’t like exercise, don’t worry about it for now. It is not necessary (and may not even be helpful) for weight loss. Concentrate your energy, discipline, and willpower on diet. If you have any reserves left, put them into being less sedentary, like walking for 10 minutes every couple of hours.

The key to success is sustainability. The key to sustainability is its mastery. The key to mastery is focus.

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #18

Hi @teron - welcome tot he Keto lifestyle :slight_smile: Exercise is a great tool to help you in so many parts of your life. Go out and sloooowly get involved in things you think you might enjoy. You don’t need to exercise to lose weight whilst on a ketogenic diet, and some (ladies especially) can actually gain weight [their measurements decrease but hey gain muscle]). Best thing is to enjoy yourself and up the intensity by gradually pushing yourself. The 4-minute work out @Dan_Dan showed is a simple way to get involved and personally I love throwing weights around. Irrespective of what you try give your self a good go at it for say 10 weeks and see how you go.

(Tim W) #19

You don’t have to go to the gym to increase fitness, it doesn’t hurt, but it’s not required, especially if your fitness level is low.

I’d suggest taking the advice already given and “don’t sweat exercise” at this time. You might find you still lose weight AND feel good. Eventually, you may feel more a desire to exercise, when/if you do, I’d suggest walking, on a treadmill, outside, at the mall, where-ever, just go for a walk for time, say 10 minutes at first, then increase. If using a treadmill, you can play with increasing the incline while keeping the speed low, this is low impact and low stress.

Now, until you are ready to “step it up” here’s what I suggest, be in-efficient in your daily activities. Here’s what I mean by that: when cleaning the house/putting things away, take more trips through the house then you have to. If you have two things in the dining room that need to be taken to the shed, take them one trip at a time. If you are parking at the grocery store, park out as far as you can and walk down isles that you don’t need anything in (unless it’s an aisle that will trigger a non-keto purchase), when folding the clothes, fold one item, walk it to the closet/dresser and put it away, repeat. Walk to the grocery store/library/work if you can (win-win, you save money AND get movement).

Adding these simple “in-inefficiencies” to your day will result in more motion on a regular basis, maybe precluding the need to even head to the gym.

Good luck to you!

(Brooke ) #20

I’m a personal trainer and I say keep it simple and walk, walk, walk. Once you can walk for 30 minutes then maybe pick 5 machines to try and cycle through. I believe walking is the most fundamental exercise we can do. So many people get overwhelmed by what to do and what machine to use etc. Just walking will get your most of the way. When in doubt - just walk.

Walking on natural ground is better than a treadmill, but if you choose a treadmill, go slow and uphill slightly or a lot. It keeps your gait more natural. I’m happy to provide more help if you like.

Check out my 48 mile walk for some inspiration. at https://gowalkthetalk.com/2017/11/30/48-mile-birthday/