Exercise fatigue

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

P.S. ZipFizz helped me get my electrolytes AND a nice energy burst at the same time. I love that stuff. But I only have 1 per day as it has 2 carbs.

(Ruthann) #5

Thanks for the support! I will give it more time…do you work out in a fasting state or do you have some kind of pre workout exogenous ketones or anything?

(Ruthann) #6

LOL. Thanks for the reply! Do you add anything pre workout?

(Allie) #7

No do not add in carbs, you’ll never get fat adapted. It’s still very early days, your performance and energy levels will dip at first, but push through and once you’re adapted, they’ll stabilise and likely increase.

I don’t use anything pre-workout, except sometimes a salt capsule to make sure my sodium levels are ok.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Always fasted with just a ZipFizz 1 hour before runs. I also add salt to the ZipFizz.

(Ruthann) #9

That’s good to know! Thank you!! I usually run half marathons and do at least 4- 5 miles, so this is a bit unnerving for me. I will give it more time…I have another question…sooo my blood meter has been between 3-4.9 mmol/L consistently since I got it about 2.5 ish weeks ago. I test my ketones at random times. My blood sugar is always 80-81. I can find tons of stuff on the internet about to what to do if it’s too low, but I find conflicting information about what to do (if anything) if the ketones are higher than optimal range. Can this be a cause of my fatigue?
Thanks!

(Ruthann) #10

Thanks!! I will stick to it!!

(Ruthann) #11

Oh, and also, since it has been 4.5 months for you, have you considered changing up your macros? That seems like such a long time to still be adjusting your energy and having sleep issues, right? -maybe that’s normal? I am not sure I could continue with the fatigue for 5 months… :-/.

(charlie3) #12

My greater concern is a full time light headed condition that slightly effects balance. It is VERY consistent. It might be caused by something other than diet but I’d make a $20 bet that the diet is in play somehow. My perception of the condition is it’s all about energy systems. I’ve considered a carb test to see if that changes anything but it’s not so bothersome to do that yet. I might start a thread about this to see if others might be experiencing something similar. BTW my blood pressure is below 120 lately but 5 months ago it was 40 points higher. The improvement was accomplished with diet and exercise.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #13

That sounds like an electrolyte problem to me. My BP is naturally low, so if I don’t keep up on my electrolytes, I get a lot of dizziness. It’s a lot better now but it can still get out of wack if I run on a very hot day. And I get nauseous.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

I don’t have any energy or sleep issues now. About 9 weeks in it all worked out for me. That when I became fully fat adapted. The 3-5 weeks was the worst for me with really low energy and I couldn’t get my electrolytes in balance.
Week 5 I ran a 5k and it was pretty bad, but by week 9 I ran a 10k and it was a breeze. Yesterday I hit a half marathon. It wasn’t a breeze, but I hit it a full month ahead of my training schedule. And today I was back out for 6.5 miles.

Stick it out and I think you will be very happy with your energy/endurance levels. You just have to get to fat adaption.

(Allie) #15

Sounds like electrolytes.

(charlie3) #16

Electrolytes is next. Cronometer says I’m getting half the potassium recommended. Getting the entire recommended amount does not seem to be easy. Among other things I was eating a whole avecado daily and stopped doing that a couple of weeks ago and those were may be 25% of the total. I believe sodium and magnesium are covered.

(Ruthann) #17

I would agree that it sounds like electrolytes…or maybe calories? Do you have a blood meter? How’s your glucose? Why in the world you stop eating avocados??LOL…sooo many questions…HAHAHA…
but seriously though, you should just go ahead and get a physical with CBC, Chem 24, thyroid panel Vit D and iron, ECG…I don’t know how old you are or your medical problems but getting checked out certainly wouldn’t hurt anything and might shed some light on the issue. You don’t want ot be missing something serious…or easy to fix.

(Ruthann) #18

Thank you for sharing your story, it helps me to stay focused!!

(Ruthann) #19

Hi LeeAnn, I was looking up ZipFizz on Amazon and it turns out it has the artificial sweetener sucralose in it? I have heard that sucralose is a no no due to possible hormone disruption and sugar spikes? How do you feel about sucralose? Maybe it does’t matter in small amounts pre workout…I like all the other ingredients and I am looking for something to take pre workout.
Have you ever tried the keto magic exogenous ketones?
Thanks!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

All artificial sweeteners have been shown to raise insulin in some people. It’s a very individual thing. It hasn’t been a problem for me, but it’s well worth experimenting if you’re not sure. If you feel like it’s contributing to stalls, eliminate it and see what happens. If you continue to lose weight, you probably don’t have any issues with it.

(Candy Lind) #21

@charlie3 I totally agree with this! I’ve always had borderline low BP and I really have to stay on top of my water and electrolytes, especially salt (because it regulates Potassium & Magnesium). If you have low BP & get dehydrated, your low blood volume makes you feel like shit & makes your heart rate go up. I know when I feel bad to take a salt tab & chug a bunch of water. Nearly immediate relief. Life will be much easier when you figure out how much water & salt you need for your n=1. Most people need 4-5 grams of salt per day (that left me gobsmacked at first, but I really do need about 4 and usually have to take a salt tab to accomplish it).

(Candy Lind) #22

If you’re eating plenty of high-potassium foods, don’t sweat potassium. With enough salt, your body STORES potassium, so you can get too much. It’s easy to OD on potassium and the symptoms are heart-related & very scary.

If you want to add small amounts, use lite salt occasionally or try drinking keto-aide.

(charlie3) #23

Cronometer says government sources recommend 4600 mg daily potassium. I’m getting half that. Presumably 4600 mg daily is safe so I’d like to get that and see if it makes any difference. My symptoms match up to potassium deficiency but the list could apply to a thousand other things. In the mean time my best guess is my symptoms are about a deficiency of something.