Exercise FASTED is the best way

(ianrobo) #1

Now as some may now I do long bike rides fasted, for example 4 hours - 100km yesterday, I know @richard also a very big fan of this. Well here is a report and study that backs up our WOL

this does show fasted is the best way and IMHO you can only be at full fat burning capability as a fat burner and not a carb burner.

It is all coming our way

(Richard Morris) #2

I just did 2 hours on the bike today, and I was just fasted for the day … but I had been on a 3 day fast that I broke last night with an all meat meal (Korean BBQ).

Jules remarked that I was riding with my fasting legs again. Last weekend I was 3 days fasted when we rode and I kept racing on ahead.

So this week Jules and I both rode our fastest segment in the 30 mins where we ride together, and in the remainder where I rode by myself I was strong and could have gone another 2 hours but had to come in to do some programming.

I honestly think I ride better when I am fasted.

(ianrobo) #3

I have no doubt of that Richard, not least because your body is not wasting energy processing food. I have done up to 5 hours fasted but not sure I have the guts to do one of the bigger ones fasted !

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

I loved that this article confirmed what I already knew.
Although I don’t do aerobic exercise on a regular basis, I do lift weights (and ride my dualsport in season.)
I PREFER lifting fasted. The longer the better. I normally lift 14-16 hours fasted. I can feel when my body has depleted any built up glycogen stores and switches to the pure octane power of fat.

It. Is. GLORIOUS.
I become a power lifter, Lol. The strength is amazing.

My motorcycle isn’t a laid back cruiser either. It takes physical strength to manage that beast. I definately get a workout when I take her out.

(ianrobo) #5

yes this applies to either aerobic or strength as the same mechanism is in place. So when you have some studies and science backing up our own situation it feels bloody good !

(tina logan) #6

I have been Keto for the past year and finally did my first 3 day fast a few weeks ago. I am fortunate enough that I can work out during my lunch time and we have a group that works out regularly for the past couple of years. I wanted to continue working out and wasn’t sure how I would feel. We were doing a new HIIT work out and I was amazed at how well I did and had energy to spare. What was surprising to me also was how the others were so exhausted after the new workout and I felt amazing! Did a strength training workout on day 3 and also felt great. All I was taking in was Rooibos Tea and an electrolyte drink for the 3 days. I plan on doing this on a regular basis now. Also, I have noticed that my ketone levels are much higher now since I did this a few weeks ago. Not sure what this means but I have gotten to 3.4-5.5 mmols when just regular Keto eating, whereas before I would go between .5-1.7 mmols over the past year. I keep hearing that when using Ketones more efficiently after being fat adapted that the ketones may not rise as much because you are using them for fuel, but mine are higher. I will continue to monitor, but is there an explanation for this?

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #7

My preference will always be to workout fasted (though I did this before going keto a year ago, being in ketosis has made this a breeze). Yesterday, I broke 2 PRs in the gym about 17-18 hours fasted. My recovery is also better and I’m getting into a groove where I’m learning how to mix fasting and working out. No matter what type of workout I do, fasting beforehand keeps me going strong.

(ianrobo) #8

trying to find out if top triathlete SA Richard Murray is Keto and difficult to find out. Asked Tim Noakes who was evasive ad very little on line unlike one of his main competitors who is Low carb and probably Keto in training.

However I found this, the only thin that mentions him and eating

Each day’s training is a full-on endeavour, including a morning cycle or swim “followed by a huge breakfast!” Then midday exercise sessions on Mondays and Tuesdays, and a two-to-four hour run in the evening, depending on whether he is recovering from a previous race

Pretty clear really, thats fasted exercise and can only be done if at least fat adapted