"exercise doesn't help with weight loss"

(Jessica) #41

Same with me!

I started running again, because I felt like it. Try to keep my heartrate under 153, but it still stops any progress until the second day after the workout.

So I’m switching to just walking, because I enjoy going outside after work. See if this will stop weight loss as well.

(eat more) #42

it doesn’t really :slight_smile:
exercise can cause water retention in the muscles and some inflammation in the joints/muscles (it sends the troops in to repair what just happened)…the scale knows not of these things.
if you like to run and it doesn’t cause you any abnormal discomfort (besides the scale!)…run!
you could also mix it up and do a HIIT style outing…walk/run/sprint whenever the mood strikes you while you’re out :slight_smile:

(Michael Blanford) #43

I am fairly new to ketosis and have lost 30+ lbs with diet alone… my reply is to ask a question as to weight loss and exercise…I was wondering if as in what I am after is weight loss per say in waist trimming and better physic I want to look good with my shirt off…so can I increase my fat belly decline with exercise and ketosis? I understand muscle mass is greater than fat mass so I don’t care a hill of beans on the scale telling me I am still fat lol

(LJ) #44

Indeed, exercise has been shown to lower insulin resistance. I think that is where the true benefit is.

Weight lifting 2x a week or 30 minutes HIIT daily has been shown to have a significant effect on IR.

(Lesa Thomas) #45

Definite, there are advantages to exercise, but it doesn’t have to be serious workout. Moderate daily workout like walking will give you all the health benefits such as muscle tone and circulation.

This past weekend I hiked probably a total of 15 miles in the mountains while wearing a chest strap to monitor my heart rate, I gained two pounds of muscle mass while fasting. Needless to say i’ll Slow things down a bit this coming weekend.

Whoa! this is amazing! You’re sure (about the muscle gain)?

(Pete A) #49

This attitude has helped me through since starting Keto last September. I was and am determined to have regular physical activity, for its own sake.

I deal with some health issues, am 54 years old, but it’s too soon to throw in the towel. A goal with Keto was to recover from carb overload and a sedentarisness exacerbated by (or in tandem with) years of depression.

A moderate exercise routine allows me to challenge my body and build overall strength, but mostly to physically reap the rewards of being Keto. I am much more efficient overall in every way, and believe I can do anything anyone else can do, as I’m doing much more than I thought I could!

Thinking you “can’t” exercise, or there are no incidental benefits from moving more, is a fallacy. It’s easier than one thinks!

10 toe touches please! :grinning:

Yes, certain.

My legs were fried from the workout and my heart peaked at 172 with most of the time spent above 140. It is interesting that the body will do what it needs to do, the only good thing is that my metabolism has kicked up as a result which is good news for my next fasting cycle. This weekend i’ll Hike again though at a slower pace for greater distance, then next week i’ll Fast again to see how the body reacts,

(Pete A) #51

I do regular “timed” hikes and flat leg- stretchers walks.

I try to get a minimum of 5-10 hours a week with occasional longer hikes.

My modest lifting and stretching schedule complements that effort nicely (and visa versa) :grinning:

There’s still so much out there about how we lose lean mass while fasting. I think that’s been credibly de-bunked (for most fat-adapted people, most of the time) but even so, someone definitely putting on muscle while fasting is a lovely thing. Congrats!

(William Jeffrey Hunter) #53

ok, now I want to go on a hike! Love the outdoors here.

I have noticed in my own n=1 experiences that keto is helping with weight loss while exercise is helping body comp.
Exercise also is a mood lifter for me. I feel great the next day.

(Justin Jordan) #54

I think the response to exercise in regards to weight loss is, like anything, pretty damn variable.

It’s good advice to not try and outrun a bad diet, but some people can.

Teenage me, for instance, would typical drop 30 pounds during track season (I was a thrower) while eating MORE. And while I no longer have teenage me’s metabolism, I get more out of exercise than the numbers would indicate I should.

For one thing, and this is stuff learned from using Fitbits and stuff, exercise makes me more active for whatever reason outside of the increased activity OF exercise. I just spontaneously do more.

(Bunny) #56

Half 1/2 of the weight-loss will be water weight, when first starting out?

These may answer some of your question also?

1. Randle cycle: “…The inhibition of glucose oxidation causes fatty acids and ketone bodies to contribute to a glucose-sparing effect, which is an essential survival mechanism for the brain during times of starvation. …”
  1. Keto-adaptation and physiological insulin resistance “…Recap (part speculation): during starvation, muscle starts on ketones but then switches to fatty acids, in part, to prevent wasting and spare ketones for the brain. This is how ketones get so high, and it doesn’t happen when you’re eating [keto]. While on a ketogenic diet, muscle uses ketones and does so increasingly so after ketoadaptation, when mitochondrial capacity is up to snuff <– that’s the speculative bit; but it could explain: 1) why ketones routinely decline in humans & rodents after ‘ketoadaptation;’ and 2) how physical performance is restored (ie, Veech). …”

Some thoughts:

Resistance exercise and muscle tissue is kind of an esoteric topic in the medical dicta that can be located deep in physiology books and what you don’t hear discussed much.

Muscle tissue can be fatty or intermuscular adipose tissue (fat deposits inside the muscle) vs. lean muscle mass and its relation to Resting Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and Whole Body Adiposity (WBA); all the way down to the bone marrow believe it or not? And may also explain why some people struggle with the ketogenic diet (LCHF) when the goal is weight-loss and not so much for a concern about over all health.

I have a little hypothesis theory like thingy going on in my head about this and that is the unwinding of the metabolic “set points” talked about by Dr. Fung:

Simply using a resistance device or giant rubber band whole body like thingy (similar to what Dr. John Jaquish PhD, scientist, inventor; designed) for ten minutes or fifteen minutes a day could increase resting BMR and increase bone density (J. Jaquish)? For people who are not so inclined to exercise or cannot exercise?

Just one of those things floating around in the back of my mind I thought I would share…lol

Notes:

1. Fatty Infiltration of Skeletal Muscle: Mechanisms and Comparisons with Bone Marrow Adiposity
  1. Intermuscular Fat: A Review of the Consequences and Causes
  1. Chubby Muscles? What You Need to Know About Intramuscular Adipose Tissue There are two clearly distinguishable compartments of the adipose organ in the body, these are subcutaneous adipose tissue (SAT) and also visceral adipose tissue (VAT). More recently, increasingly sensitive technology such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners have enabled the identification and measurement of other deposits of adipose tissue which contribute to whole body adiposity (Bernard et al. 1996, Thomas et al. 1998).
  1. Increased intramuscular fatty infiltration without differences in lumbar muscle cross-sectional area during remission of unilateral recurrent low back pain
  1. A single bout of concentric resistance exercise increases basal metabolic rate 48 hours after exercise in healthy 59-77-year-old men RESULTS: BMR was significantly increased (p < .006) 48 hrs after exercise (EX) compared to control (CON) (284.0 +/- 34.0 vs 274.9 +/- 34.0 kJ/hr, respectively). Calculated over a 24-hour period, the energy expenditure corresponded to 1570 +/- 193 and 1627 +/- 193 kcal/24 hr (p < .0002) for the CON and EX measures, respectively. VO2 (L/min) was higher (p < .0002) 48 hrs after the EX bout compared to 48 hrs post-CON (0.232 +/- 0.03 vs 0.225 +/- 0.03 L/min, respectively). CONCLUSION: We conclude that in healthy 59-77-year-old men, an acute bout of resistance exercise causes a sustained increase in BMR that persists for up to 48 hours after exercise.
  1. SKELETAL MUSCLE FAT INFILTRATION: IMPACT OF AGE, INACTIVITY, AND EXERCISE

(Dan Dan) #57

“exercise doesn’t help with weight loss”

Should read:

“without exercise weight loss doesn’t help”

Exercise which is just a fancy word for moving your body is just as important as diet for overall health. Every part of the body needs exercise to be healthy and it performs different functions depending on that parts need. Such as strength, density, flexibility, pumping, messaging, elimination of toxins, releasing Endorphins and hormones, mood and Memory, Energy and metabolic response, Reduce risk of diseases, manage blood sugar and insulin levels, just to name a few :wink:

And it couldn’t be easier as little as a 20 minute brisk walk a few times a week. To take full advantage of exercise the best time is within an hour before or after a meal. And to make it easier you can break it up throughout the day. :muscle:

Here is a awesome Four Minute Nitric Oxide Workout :smiley:

(Pete A) #58

Fun routine for exercise newbies and vets!