"exercise doesn't help with weight loss"

(eat more) #32

i like it!

i do think that ppl’s bodies choose the activities that come most naturally to their biomechanics.

i’m predominantly fast-twitch muscled (short powerful bursts versus endurance)…so i lift weights, jump rope, and do intervals
i’ve tried to be a runner…i suck at it…could i run from a zombie…yes! barring that or some other threat i run in short intervals.
could i learn to be a runner? probably but at this point i don’t really have the “want”…probably because it isn’t enjoyable because i’m not built for it?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #33

I dare you to hang around the free weight racks and NOT laugh at all the gangly ectomorphs hoping protein powder and power sets will turn them into Arnold Schwarzenegger.

PS: Arnold was a major proponent of steroids and admitted it openly back in the day.

(Larry Lustig) #34

Generally not – otherwiise CICO would be much more effective. Few people successfully meet increased appetite with decreased consumption beyond the very short term. Those who do almost certainly end up lowering their basal metabolism to compensate.

If this were not true, then the way to weight loss would be literally eating less and working out constantly. There would be no need for keto.

It’s unquestionably true that keto has a profound effect on appetite, enough to make the increased appetite from exercise. A couple of hours isn’t a long enough horizon to look at consumption – if you look at it systematically over days or weeks you’ll find that people eat more when they exercise and less when they don’t – or, at least, studies show that to be true.[quote=“mikki, post:31, topic:7111”]
my understanding is that exercise…specifically resistance training activates LPL in muscles and prevents activity in adipose tissue.
[/quote]

This is true during exercise, but afterwards the opposite happens so that adipose energy stores can be restored. What effect that will have on your amount of body fat likely depends on your insulin health / response, with insulin sensitive people doing best and insulin resistant people (again) getting stuck with more fat production.

(Jo Lo) #35

OK, as a recovering ultrarunner I can add to this. For several years I ran one ultra (31 to 50 miles, taking 6 to 15 hrs each) per month, plus the training to make it possible. Do you think I lost much weight? Ten hour events burned perhaps 6000-8000 calories, while eating very little (you lose your appetite, your stomach shuts down). Well, no, not much weight. I was overweight when I started and after years of it I was still overweight.

Then I started keto and lost 30 lbs in about 3 months, without exercise, and have kept it off for 2 years. I still run a bit, rarely up to marathon distance, but even on keto it never leads to much weight loss. I don’t claim to understand the process, but that’s my n=1. I must say a lot of my runner friends haven’t lost any weight either…some have done over 100 marathons/ultras. I’ve only done 73.

(eat more) #36

that’s exactly why there’s a need for keto…to prevent and in some cases repair metabolic damage…safely and effectively using your existing body fat as a supplemental (to food) source of fuel.

the more lean body mass the higher your basal metabolism…the only way to get more (than you had before) and maintain lean body mass is to use said body…were we in a different time/world there would be very little to no need for intentional “exercise”.

i am NOT saying exercise without attn to fuel is way to adjust fat to lean ratios…
isn’t that the goal? less body fat for health and optimum function? (and in some cases aesthetics)

i am not an exercise zealot nor am i in the fitness/diet industries…

I am saying there are far too many variables to make generalizations to the masses…most of which don’t care how they lose “weight” or the science/health behind it…they just want to see the scale move.

if i didn’t already workout i’m positive that i’d love to hear that i “shouldn’t” :joy:

thank you for all of the information and making me think…more lol

(eat more) #37

not that this horse isn’t mostly dead but i came across this on a different thread.

much more succinct than the words i’ve been using :blush:

full post here:

Fat loss on CICO??

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #38

Exactly my experience too (not so much the second bit).

I have also read (probably in Taubes) that exercise tends to reduce insulin levels (possibly only temporarily). That would tie in with the reduced appetite.

I deduce from all this that exercise (at least temporarily) can reduce insulin resistance.

Now, I should say that I suspect this only happens (at least for overweight, IR people) on a low-carb or low-carb keto diet. For anyone on a standard industrialised “Western” diet (SAD if you will), then I’d say all bets are off.

Similarly, for people who are superbly carb tolerant, then I think their body plays by a different rulebook, so it may, or may not apply.

(Dustin) #39

I’m glad you mentioned it, and I think it needs to be said. The title of these articles and statements make one to believe that for some reason since I’m doing keto, exercise magically stops progress. lol

(Alexandria) #40

Yay! So glad you asked this, my brain has also suffered. I couldn’t quite articulate.

(Jessica) #41

Same with me!

I started running again, because I felt like it. Try to keep my heartrate under 153, but it still stops any progress until the second day after the workout.

So I’m switching to just walking, because I enjoy going outside after work. See if this will stop weight loss as well.

(eat more) #42

it doesn’t really :slight_smile:
exercise can cause water retention in the muscles and some inflammation in the joints/muscles (it sends the troops in to repair what just happened)…the scale knows not of these things.
if you like to run and it doesn’t cause you any abnormal discomfort (besides the scale!)…run!
you could also mix it up and do a HIIT style outing…walk/run/sprint whenever the mood strikes you while you’re out :slight_smile:

(Michael Blanford) #43

I am fairly new to ketosis and have lost 30+ lbs with diet alone… my reply is to ask a question as to weight loss and exercise…I was wondering if as in what I am after is weight loss per say in waist trimming and better physic I want to look good with my shirt off…so can I increase my fat belly decline with exercise and ketosis? I understand muscle mass is greater than fat mass so I don’t care a hill of beans on the scale telling me I am still fat lol

(LJ) #44

Indeed, exercise has been shown to lower insulin resistance. I think that is where the true benefit is.

Weight lifting 2x a week or 30 minutes HIIT daily has been shown to have a significant effect on IR.

(Lesa Thomas) #45

Definite, there are advantages to exercise, but it doesn’t have to be serious workout. Moderate daily workout like walking will give you all the health benefits such as muscle tone and circulation.

This past weekend I hiked probably a total of 15 miles in the mountains while wearing a chest strap to monitor my heart rate, I gained two pounds of muscle mass while fasting. Needless to say i’ll Slow things down a bit this coming weekend.

Whoa! this is amazing! You’re sure (about the muscle gain)?

(Pete A) #49

This attitude has helped me through since starting Keto last September. I was and am determined to have regular physical activity, for its own sake.

I deal with some health issues, am 54 years old, but it’s too soon to throw in the towel. A goal with Keto was to recover from carb overload and a sedentarisness exacerbated by (or in tandem with) years of depression.

A moderate exercise routine allows me to challenge my body and build overall strength, but mostly to physically reap the rewards of being Keto. I am much more efficient overall in every way, and believe I can do anything anyone else can do, as I’m doing much more than I thought I could!

Thinking you “can’t” exercise, or there are no incidental benefits from moving more, is a fallacy. It’s easier than one thinks!

10 toe touches please! :grinning:

Yes, certain.

My legs were fried from the workout and my heart peaked at 172 with most of the time spent above 140. It is interesting that the body will do what it needs to do, the only good thing is that my metabolism has kicked up as a result which is good news for my next fasting cycle. This weekend i’ll Hike again though at a slower pace for greater distance, then next week i’ll Fast again to see how the body reacts,

(Pete A) #51

I do regular “timed” hikes and flat leg- stretchers walks.

I try to get a minimum of 5-10 hours a week with occasional longer hikes.

My modest lifting and stretching schedule complements that effort nicely (and visa versa) :grinning:

There’s still so much out there about how we lose lean mass while fasting. I think that’s been credibly de-bunked (for most fat-adapted people, most of the time) but even so, someone definitely putting on muscle while fasting is a lovely thing. Congrats!