Exercise causing the runs?

I’ve been doing keto for over a year and a half now and have recently started exercising pretty heavily, between lifting, biking and playing sports(football, soccer, etc.). I’ve been eating relatively the same as I have been but for some reason it seems I’m getting the runs/loose stools far more than I’ve had before. At least once, maybe twice a week. Is my body flushing something? Should I be eating or drinking something different? Maybe that’s what’s causing it? Any suggestions would be greatly helpful!

(Matthew Gibson) #2

Did you change your supplements? I exercise a lot as well- I found when i added MCT oil, I added too much too fast and had a reaction… haha… but it is all under control. Also I found fasting flushes the system pretty good. Or… perhaps you simply got a bug from someone :).

(Matthew Gibson) #3

Also, I am thinking electrolyte imbalance could be a cause…

I haven’t changed my supplements, actually I don’t take any. I try and drink Powerade Zero though instead of water when working out to try and help with electrolytes. I don’t think it’s a bug since it’s been happening for a couple of weeks now. I originally thought it was because I tried out MCT oil in the my coffee because it was the first time, but I’ve since stopped that. I do do intermittent fasting, so not sure if it’s the combo. What type of supplements would you suggest?

(ianrobo) #5

exercise can do this anyway … basically your bowels if running is jigging around or compressed say on a bike can have interesting side effects !

(Alan Williamson) #6

Sometimes it can be from eating dairy. Runners have this problem. Drinking coffee can cause a bowel movement. Good to do before going on a run.