Exercise and the Coronavirus

(Karla Sykes) #1

I got a little scared and I haven’t been working out for the past 7 days because in my apartment gym there was a sign that talked about you increase chances of getting the coronavirus by working out so make sure you sanitize any gym equipment you use. It didn’t help that when I walked in there & seen three or four people coughing and sneezing and I quickly backed out of there. I haven’t been working out for the past 7 days and been very strict on my diet. I hope this doesn’t affect me in the long run and I’m probably overreacting but I cannot work out in that gym or any gym right now until this stuff dies down

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Spend the gym time walking instead.

(Karla Sykes) #3

You are totally right. I’m just so afraid of getting sick that I don’t want to be outside I want to limit my exposure and I’m probably being a hypochondriac. I just don’t know what all these cases popping up in Indiana and they’re not even displaying this on the news

(Scott) #4

I have thought about this too. I run to the gym anyway so it is no big deal to just run past it and keep going.

(Pete A) #5

You’re smart to avoid that space. Here the weather is lovely, maybe you can take to the road! :slight_smile:

(charlie3) #6

There are lots of YT videos about body weight exercises that can be done anywhere. Even if they aren’t as productive for a while you won’t lose much if anything. I’ve always had a basement gym and greatful for that right now.

(Joey) #7

There is so much one can do at home with body weight and minimal gear (a few dumbbells, a home-made TRX stuck in door jamb, etc.).

Don’t mean to sound sour but I never understood why anyone would buy a gym membership in the first place. My wife belongs, but seems to dread going. Meanwhile, I watch the news at home while I work out… to help raise my blood pressure a bit :wink:

To do proper workouts. That simple. I have nothing against people who workout at home or do body weight stuff, but you can’t even come close at home even if you buy thousands of dollars of stuff to what you can do at a gym. 1 or 2 commercial grade pieces of equipment cost more than my gym membership does for 5 years.

(Joey) #9

Then there you have it. Can’t say my body could tell the difference, but it sounds like it’s working well for you. Meanwhile, I’ll keep paying for my wife to go. :vulcan_salute:

Sunlight is so important for your immune system. If you avoid to go outside, you will increase your risk to get sick.

Walking where you mustn’t come close to anyone and don’t have to touch something that other people touch is not risky.

(Karla Sykes) #11

You made a very good point actually one of my kids just frowned me old school typo it’s on YouTube and I did that today

(Karla Sykes) #12

I don’t pay any gym membership my gym is 100% free and it comes with my apartment and it’s brand new

(Karla Sykes) #13

You are all giving me great advice and you’re right I know I’m just a germaphobe but lucky for me my kids showed me old school tie bow

(Karla Sykes) #14

Are you guys about giving me great advice thanks for the support. I’m just mad that I broke my workout routine where I was literally running or fast walking on the elliptical everyday one mile everyday. I have been doing this for a little over 3 weeks. I wanted to see how far I can go in a month and then all this stuff happened. But now that my kids are show me old school tie bow on YouTube I will be doing that

(charlie3) #15

My home gym is as productive for me as any commercial gym but it does take up space and replacement cost today would be eye watering compared to back in the day. In the mean time the premise of your post is what to do during this virus situation, not forever. Reardless, as I learn more about the epidemic I’m coming to the conclusion my chance of infection is when, not if. The only escape hatch would be if I stayed uninfected for a couple years, if and until a vacine is on the market.

P.S. and a lot can be done with a very minimum amount of iron and bands at least for some months.

(Troy) #16

Yeah
My local gym the last 3 mornings had about 1/4 of the normal gym goers for the regulars
I left today and didn’t even workout

Going forward, I’m going to enjoy longer walks and other exercises
Vitamin D when it stops raining
Ymmv

(Scott) #17

I went to the gm and made use of the clorox wipes. I ended up using three because they started getting dirty. I then wash my hands before I left and when I got home. You would think the owner would make a public showing of wiping each machine every few hours. If my community has a spike of infections I will stop going for sure. I don’t have to touch anything when running and can start back on my plank routine at home.

I wear disposable gloves currently in the gym and wash my hands before and after…but am out now with a bad non-corona-virus for week or so. I use the strength training machines because I can’t walk much, awaiting knee surgery which is postponed indefinitely now due to the hospital system here in Sydney deferring all elective surgery due to Covid19.

Just heard Madrid is now in lock down much as Italy was, schools are shut and no gatherings from this Monday, massive spike in infections.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

I find that it is possible to get enough exercise by jumping to conclusions. . . just saying. :grin::grin:

That’s even more of a reason to stay! My gym is wiping there places down top to bottom multiple times a day. Everybody, even the known douchebags that don’t wipe stuff are cleaning up before/after now. With the exception of people in the high risk groups you’ve got a better chance (by a lot) of dying from the flu than you do this. I’m not turning my life upside down for that because the media wants people afraid.