Excess Omega-6s: Root Cause of Diseases of Civilization?

(Trish) #2

Without having read this yet, I agree with your headline. O6 is known to be inflammatory and we consume this at an alarming amount, especially given the fact that so much of our “foods” these days are made with corn, even the animals we eat are themselves fed too much O6 which we then also consume. Of course we seem to be eating less and less fatty fish which is one of the few things high in O3 and who really eats flax in any great quantity? We are wildly out of O6:O3 balance.

(Ethan) #3

Most vegetable O3 sources are of the alpha linoeic acid variety also, which converts poorly into EPA or DHA, the better O3 varieties.

(CharleyD) #4

No kidding, take a look at the salad dressings at the store and try to find any without soy oil!

(Ethan) #5

I found one caesar from avocado oil! But it was expensive. I am making my own now.

(Adam Kirby) #6

Seed oils are a very likely culprit for ill health given that there are healthy populations who eat high carb and low fat. But there are no traditional/healthy populations who have ever eaten seed oils.

The N3:N6 ratio on a lot of foods is way out whack in today’s society. Everything from beef to salad dressings have shifted towards being Omega-6 heavy. That being said, as many have already indicated it’s the seed oils which are by far the biggest culprits. I cut out all cheap oils a long time ago and I feel a lot better overall. Avocado oil is not that expensive after all. Rotate some olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee as needed and you should have no need for canola oil. For most people cutting out seed oils takes care of 90% of the equation.

(Ethan) #8

This is the key. Make your own mayo and egg-based dressings. Make your own oil-based dressings! Olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, and avocado oil are everywhere now.

(Trish) #9

Avocado oil is $20 for a 300 mL bottle here. I consider that very expensive. :frowning:

(Ethan) #10

Yes, but a lot of things are expensive in your location. For many of us, Amazon can still get a decent price–even if still more than Costco: https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-Foods-Avocado-Cooking-Bottle/dp/B00K4QF4HO/

(Trish) #11

Ya, the price differences between Amazon.ca vs .com are so frustrating.

(Ethan) #12

two isn’t bad:
https://www.amazon.ca/Chosen-Foods-Hand-crafted-Avocado-33-8-oz/dp/B00RBTKRA6/

and there is this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Tourangelle-Avocado-Oil-500-Milliliter/dp/B00MHTF6X8/

This is about 1/3 that price:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kevala-Avocado-Gallon-892ml-Refined/dp/B00BJ5MC4W/ref=pd_sbs_325_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4WCA9H83GTTF3JWS1QGR

(Candy Lind) #14

La Tourangelle Oils are pricy (even here in TX), but excellent. The nut oils are strong and a little goes a long way for nice finishing. I get a less expensive avo oil simply because I use so much.

(Trish) #15

@EZB. @Rian. Thanks! You guys rock! I’m placing an Amazon order today for some other stuff so will add some oil. :slight_smile: clearly there were powers at play that made me forget to do the order yesterday as I had intended.

(Bunny) #16

Is Fish Oil Good Or Bad?

READERS SUMMARY:

1. Is it correct to believe that omega 6’s are always bad?
  2. What are the pathways these fats travel and what do they really do?
  3. Do we need some type of ratio for optimal health?
  4. What are the normal ratio’s of O6/O3 in certain organ’s?
  5. Why is knowing what your current O6/O3 ratio critical to your Optimal Health?

“…Moreover, in vivo, we never find prostaglandins from omega 3’s or from omega 6’s acting alone. They act in concert as a violin and violinist would. One without the other is simply useless. …”
…More

Research:

1. Omega-3 fatty acids and FFAR4 “…It was shown by Stone et al. that FFAR4 activation leads to decreased somatostatin secretion …”

2. Fasting, autophagy, and fat supplementation

I’ve stopped using vegetable oils a couple of years ago and I feel way, way better. And the food tastes better. Bring on the Lard.

(Michele) #18

Compare that to a $20 bottle of wine. How long does the wine last? (Or select what ever replacement works for you if you don’t drink wine). Our 300ml bottle of avo oil will last us a while - certainly longer than a bottle of wine (and I rarely drink)!

(Trish) #19

I make my own wine and it’s only about 3.00 a bottle that way. Sadly I bottled several batches right before starting keto; alas, I’ve not gotten to really have any. :frowning:

(Michele) #20

I use wine when cooking minced beef for Shepherd’s Pie.

Mind sharing the recipe?