Excersise difficult?

(sue) #1

Where to start…well I have a heart condition and breathing problems. Also nasty nasty arthritis. I do walk for about 20 mins a day…wow. I’m old and so is my dog lol and it’s really enough for her. I kind of make up some exertion doing housework and a bit of gardening. My Q is, do I really need to up my excersise to make a difference on keto? I’m expecting ‘of course you do’ :confused: the problem is the health issues. I can’t do aerobic, run, ride a bike etc.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Exercise and keto are not directly related. Keto is about restoring normal levels of insulin sensitivity by lowering blood glucose, and restoring normal metabolism. A side effect of doing so for many or most people is weight loss.

Exercise is about fitness. It is a good idea to exercise, to the extent that you can do so safely. If you cannot currently do aerobic exercise, that is something you can build up to. Though for health purposes, there’s plenty of reason to believe that resistance (aka weight) training is more effective at building your fitness level. You can start small, and work your way up.

So no, you don’t need to exercise to do keto effectively. But exercise is nonetheless a good idea for your overall health. You can work with your health care provider to find exercises that are safe for you given your conditions. Good luck!

(Tom Seest) #3

Most people on Keto ultimately end up exercising more, but it is usually directly related to having all sorts of extra energy.

So, in your case, don’t worry about it. It is not required or necessary.

I wish you well on your journey to better health.

I started 2016 at 370 lbs. I’m now 180…I still haven’t walked into a gym in over a decade. I’m not saying that I’m health personified, but exercise certainly isn’t anything that’s required for keto.

(sue) #5

Oh thats really good news. I do use ankle and wrist weights and have mini dumbells. It adds up to 1 1/2 kilos per arm…not huge but helpfully. I shall do more often now though. Thanks very much :wink:

(sue) #6

Thankyou so much, I look forward to that through the extra energy with keto :wink:

(sue) #7

All these replies make me feel so happy. You have done so well…congratulations on your loss. I hope to join you, my family would love to see less of me lol :wink: