Everyone says I am too skinny

(Scott ) #1

Concerned people are approaching me and begging me to stop loosing weight!

I am 6’2" and 213 lbs, So I thought maybe my old target (determined by DEXA scan) was too low since all this exercise has obviously built up some serious muscle!

I knew from my initial DEXA scan that my target weight is 194 lbs, So I decided to do another one. Much to my horror, I have lost over 17% of my LBM and my new calculated target is 179 lbs!

I have been walking about 3 miles a day and doing a 10 mile (3000’ elevation) hike every weekend. My biggest LBM loss is in my legs!

So, in the 298 days that I have been doing KETO, today is the first time I have felt so discouraged.

(Olivia) #2

I would say that you can’t completely avoid losing muscle mass along with fat. Imagine putting the weight you lost in a backpack and try walking around with it. Your muscles would have to be huge to cope with that constant stress. I am also an avid hiker and have lost muscle mass along with fat. However, my endurance and performance have increased significantly and I can now hike 45 km without any problems in hilly terrains with a 15 kg backpack.

(Chris) #3

Are you doing any other activities to support muscle growth? Because walking and hiking despite at times being strenuous are not necessarily anabolic.

(Scott ) #4

I just did the conversion from km to miles, and zowie! That is incredible!

(Scott ) #5

Not really. I basically have gymophobia… It’s a real thing! lol

(Chris) #6

Without sounding like an ASSuming person, that could really be a contributor. Perhaps your body doesn’t need additional mass for the activities you participate in, so it could be trying to slowly reduce it. This comment is zero science so don’t quote me on this.

Obviously, a powerlifter is going to need to retain far more muscle mass than someone who doesn’t lift, whereas a hiker would edge toward a more streamlined approach?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

You don’t need to go to a gym to do a variety of push-ups and pull-ups.

(Scott ) #8

That’s true.

(Pete A) #9

My regimen includes 5-10 hours a week of hiking or walking (flat macadam), and an “at-home” routine of Callisthenics and yogic stretches. I don’t think I’ve lost muscle, but could be. I’m not familiar with how you’re measuring so can’t really speak to your main question, but do want to share our similarities.

(Andrew) #10

Sounds awesome to me. You are losing muscle because you aren’t hauling around 50 - 100 lbs of extra fat.

You will just stop losing weight at your set point. No machine will find that number. KCKO

(Mike Glasbrener) #11

I love this! I got this once before also. Do people also say to you “gosh you’re tall. I never realized you were so tall!” I concluded it’s an aspect ratio thing.

(Andrew) #12

Brenda “grew” over an inch from all her weight loss. Your spine uncompresses apparently.

(Scott ) #13

Bottom line, I am considering weight training. I haven’t used weights for a very long time. I want to be a better hiker too, but I’m going to need more core and leg strength before I can be a machine like @moodytoady!

(Andrew) #14

Just buy an olympic bar and a pile of 35 lb plates. Do 3-4 sets of deadlifts eod. Problem solved.

(Olivia) #15

Pro tip: What I do is to greatly increase my walking speed when there’s a steep part. Really push yourself and get into a sweat uphill. My motivation is really just to put a quicker end to this uphill business and to get back to the nice part of my walk. I guess this activates my muscles a lot more similar to interval training.

(Scott ) #16

Is that 45 km in a day, or over several days?

(Olivia) #17

In a day of a multi-day hike

(Pete A) #18

I would absolutely do this yes!

(Rob) #19

I’m not sure about dexa scans and what it’s definition of LBM is but Usually it is not just muscle. It is also skin etc. so some of your LBM loss may well be stuff other than muscle. I sure hope I lose a lot of skin eventually. :grin:

(Adam Kirby) #20

Strength training is a fine thing to do, but it seems perfectly logical your lean mass would drop if not needed to support your body weight anymore.