Erythritol or Xylitol?

food

(Stanislav Jirák) #1

What you prefer?
…0–0…

(Allie) #2

Erythritol as I won’t have the other in the house with my dog

(matt ) #3

Xylitol kills dogs so I have never had it in my house.

(bulkbiker) #4

neither? don’t use sweeteners at all…

(Stanislav Jirák) #5

Hmmm, but keto chocolate or something like this https://cz.pinterest.com/pin/308074430751864302/?lp=true not bad from time to time…

(bulkbiker) #6

hmm I’m afraid I’m an all or nothing personality so to eat that stuff would be a gateway to all sorts of bad things.
I have tried to re-educate my palate to not want sweet things any more. But as always that’s just me.
Here in the UK there is a very low carb ice cream which I have a little of every few days… that is my treat with cream.

(Sophie) #7

I’m in the No Xylitol camp due to Furry Children! It’s lethal to them. :neutral_face:

(Stanislav Jirák) #8

I live in the Czech Republic where’s nothing like that and nobody knows what does low-carb mean in this corner of the world - so I must cook. I have no craving for anything based on sugar at and after all, it just taste great to me. Bought cocoa butter recently and raw cocoa powder, so looking forward for 20m low-carb chocolate high in fat (planning for almonds or coconut chips - still nothing to you?). Going to visit London soon, so will definitely try the ice cream too!

(bulkbiker) #9

Ice cream is called Oppo… chocolate hazelnut flavour is amazing… about 8g of carbs per 100g.
A treat to be had in moderation…

(Ron) #10

I have only tried Erythritol, I like it

I have not had a chance to try Xylitol yet

(Allie) #11

I avoid it as moderation turns into the whole tub.

(Norma Laming) #12

I am always surprised that even dentists said xylitol is tooth friendly. I live in the UK but none of the dentists I speak to have ever heard of this warning about xylitol from the British Dental Assoc:

(bulkbiker) #13

I have to admit sometimes limiting can be hard so I don’t buy it very often…

(Allie) #14

I bought it once on one of those second item half price offers in H&B. Both tubs went the same way… oops :joy:

The Wheyhey icecream is sold in individual portion tubs so I get this if I can’t be bothered making my own.

(Brian) #15

I just got a package of erythritol. I haven’t used enough of it to know much about it yet. Basically, I only got it so that I could put a hint of sweetness into a few of the things like the occasional (keto) blueberry muffin that I really do like to have at least a little sweetness in. My wife insists she wants to use a tiny bit of honey and I really want to try some erythritol instead.

I did make some marinara sauce (from scratch) last week and used maybe a tablespoon in the sauce where I used to use a little sugar, just because I like just a little hint of sweet in there to counteract some of the other flavors. It did just fine.

So we’re not exactly sucking the stuff down like a man vs food thing. But I suspect that small package we have will last a good long while.

I’m with the won’t touch xylitol camp for the same doggy reasons. I have been using a blend of erythritol and stevia but have just bought straight erythritol and inulin to try as a combo because I read a chef in the UK talking about being able to get his creme brûlées to caramelise on top by using inulin. Nuff said, I’m gonna try it! I am also someone who finds it hard to restrict sweet treats so I just indulge sometimes. Having said that. I have been eating ice cream all summer! But in reasonable moderation and home made keto of course so all good.

(Stanislav Jirák) #17

I’ll definitely try! Where one can buy?

I prefer the taste of xylitol, but it causes a larger glycemic response (and gastric reaction) than erythritol. Xylitol is better in some applications (anything creamy, such as ice cream) because it is less likely to recrystalize. But it’s humectant (draws in moisture), so it will prevent you from achieving a crunchy texture (in granola, for example). So I use both of them as needed, defaulting to erythritol when either would work.

(bulkbiker) #19

Sorry delay… Waitrose (Supermarket) stock it as do some branches of Holland and Barrett (healthfood shop).
There is a list of stockists on their website…

https://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/storefinder/