Erythrit raising blood suggar

(Wenchie) #1

Hey folks,

After months of no sweet taste at all I was wanting to test my reaction to Erythrit, so I bought a German brand for Erythritol callea Xucker.
I was eating a teaspoon full and took my glucose readings before and 30 min. Suprised I saw my level rasing vom 80 mg/dl to 93 mg/ dl. I thought sensitive insulin would actually drop my blood suggar level ( at least I thought thats what @richard explained. How can it be raised? There is no suggar in it… I am confused :woman_shrugging:

(Duncan Kerridge) #2

Blood meters are only accurate to within 15% of your actual blood glucose - you could just be seeing a range of values within the error margin. i.e. an actual figure of 85 could read anywhere from 72 to 97

I think if you wanted to do a full test, you could do multiple readings beforehand (once I tested several times within a minute or two just to see the range, and it actually wasn’t very wide - maybe 4 or 5mg) and then do the same thing after the erythritol. If you do this 3 or 4 times, you’ll see some averages or trends that you might be able to work with.

I haven’t tested erythritol (don’t have a good meter at the moment) but I’ve noticed that I get a sore throat when I have it. Nothing major, just a weird discomfort when I swallow. If there’s some kind of inflammatory reaction happening (in me) then I wouldn’t be surprised to see a rise in blood sugar.

Do you have a picture of the ingredients?
What is the serving size?
Did you test beyond 30 minutes to see how long it took to return to baseline?
Try mixing it in a glass of water and comparing the readings to a plain glass of water test.

Glucose meters vary from plasma tests, but they should be fairly consistent when comparing reading from the same meter.

(Duncan Kerridge) #5

I did three tests in a couple of minutes last week to check the consistency of my meter and there was a 10 mg/dl difference between the highest and lowest readings (freestyle optium neo)

Yes, sometimes it’s the batch of test strips that give strange readings too. Would be good for everyone to test their meter and see how consistent it is. I see a difference between the 3 meters I have also.

(Nick) #7

If erythritol appears to be raising your blood glucose, these are the only options:

1. It’s just the flux of your glucometer, or the strips are variable.
  2. Your blood glucose was going to raise in any case (cortisol etc)
  3. The erythritol is contaminated with a nutritive sweetener or bulker.
  4. You have an utterly unique metabolism which has never been detected in the history of testing polyols (including on highly diabetic people).

As I mentioned elsewhere, erythritol is not able on its own to provoke the pancreas into either an insulin or glucagon response.

(Wenchie) #8

The ingredients are supposed to be pure Erythrit.

I did do readings after it and it did return to my baseline.

I did not concider the strips being the cause as I am not diabetic and am not used to measure my blood. I bought a meter to find out how I react to certain food. So there is a hint and I will try again. Thank you :blush:

Ps: www.xucker.de

(Wenchie) #9

You are right about the throat thing… it feels sore for some reason… weired stuff…