Episode 86 - Me!

(ianrobo) #1

Many thanks to @carl and @richard for allowing me to speak and listened to it this morning which is just weird !!

I hope it helps those interested in endurance sports to understand about the benefits of Keto and far adaption for sports. I am convinced that most endurance sports people are fat adapted and train that way and it has altered those sports esp triathlon and cycling.

Listening now… :smiley:

(ianrobo) #3

hopefully you enjoy it …

Plan on listening on my way home.

(What The Fast?!) #5

@ianrobo VERY excited to listen!! I usually listen on my rides, so it will be fitting. :slight_smile: Now, if someone could turn down the 25mph winds here in Vegas, I’d happily jump on for a ride!

(ianrobo) #6

In Vegas, winds must be hot !!

let me know guys what you think and any corrections etc.

Think I missed one point. The idea of MAF iOS to create a huge aerobic base, so that at your MAF HR you go much faster. For big endurance efforts you go at this level int he rides and you leave loads int he tank for any efforts without the need to top up on carbs etc.

(Justin Hamilton (Hamenopi)) #7

Transparency post.
When I read cycling, I didn’t think about bikes.
Imagining a talk on Carb Cycling, I thought, oh my, this podcast is going to be interesting…

Spoiler alert.
The podcast was even more interesting than a post about carb cycling.
Great job all!
Keep these coming.

(ianrobo) #8

Thanks Justin good to read u enjoyed it !

Thought you did a good job plus it was good to here real world experience. Think you covered MAF enough that anyone interested could look it up and find more information. For me MAF has been great. Putting out same average power with hr about 10 beats less. It is true that you burn fat at a higher hr leaving the glycogen for the really intense efforts. CN really see this with a power meter and hr monitor.

(ianrobo) #10

yep that’s the key isn’t it, more for less and with minimal stress. So in your event when you need the effort, it is there because1) body has not been under stress and 2) Glycogen stores are largely untouched.

So fpor example when I did my 305km ride and nearly 5000m of climbing the average HR was near 150 for 12 hours, no way as a carb burner I could have done that, no way. During this ride all I had to eat was jelly babies, that’s it, so that just shows the fat burning levels are way higher that ‘zone 2’ and goes as FASTER showed into Zone 3,4 and possibly 5 still burning more fat that carb.

Of course what should be remember is in ultra long events you can see use carbs but not replace it, if you are doing most of your effort at ‘zone 2’ this means your body through GNG has time to replace any glycogen being burnt on demand. The problems happen when this replacement can not match what is being used so then you have to supplement by external carbs whether drinks or food.

In essence a human if they stay in zone 2 can do that for a day etc. Now what is interesting is I know nan ultra marathoner, he for example has done 10 in 10days. However he swears he is just a normal carb burner. However when I look at his stats (he is only slightly older than myself) he is comfortably running in zone 2/MAF for the majority of his runs. He is so finely tuned that will be fat burning without the need to go into ketosis but he has to supplement during these runs because his body is not efficient at the swap over points which will be lower for him than us.

All great points. In the Podcast I do not remember if they asked your age. I think you mentioned it here.
Great to know that you do not have to be in your 30’s to achieve exceptional results.

Great show - really enjoyed hearing about your passion.

(Tom Seest) #13

It’s been a joy watching your pedals turn for over a year now.

(Sheri Knauer) #14

Looking forward to listening to it today while Im at the gym.

(ianrobo) #15

Thanks all and @Sasquatch16 age is totally irrelevant, if you are 60,65.70 and start out ypou can still do these things but just will be slower that’s all but you will extend your life !

(Richard Morris) #16

I enjoyed recording that … I was worried that it would just be interesting to cyclists. :slight_smile:

(Tom Seest) #17

It did have a certain cadence to it…

(ianrobo) #18

booooooo

(Tom Seest) #19

Sorry. I meant it had a certain ring to it…Chain ring of course…But, I’ll stop now and give everyone a brake…Disc of course…

(Richard Morris) #20

Decadence

Despeed