Episode #66 - Fat Head Kids with Tom Naughton

(carl) #1

Carl Franklin @carl and Richard Morris @richard welcome Tom Naughton back on the show to talk about his new book for kids (and everyone else): “Fat Head Kids: Stuff About Diet and Health I Wish I Knew When I Was Your Age.” Richard reads and comments on a blog post from Prof. Richard Feinman, and the dudes get into a great discussion on Gluconeogenesis prompted by a post in the Ketogenic Forums.

Can’t wait to listen to this podcast on my way to work tomorrow! I got the Fathead Kids book last week and it’s genius. My 13 year old read it and is much more on board with keto now that she understands the reason it works (and why what she has been eating is working against her). No doubt it helped that the info wasn’t coming from her keto-obsessed mother. Thanks to Tom and 2KDs!

(Cathy Schroder) #3

Great episode yet again!

(Bill Cube) #4

I got the books and enjoyed reading it. It’s for teenagers and up.

I found the progress pics out of place in a cartoon book “for kids”.

Can’t wait for the movie !

(Sheri Knauer) #5

I got the book a few days ago to hopefully read with my 7.5 year old and 9 year old. I think it may help to explain this WOE to my husband too, who is not good when it comes to anything scientific or medical in nature (but he sure is good at selling stuff!).

(Insert witty quote here) #6

I listened to this yesterday, and even though I’m not going to make it to Ketofest, I wanted to say that I’m “listening!” :wink:

Also, I was saddened to hear about the trouble Richard has been having with his dogs. :frowning: I am sure many of us know what it’s like to lose a member of the family. It sounds like Black Dog needed you as much as you needed her (or is it him?) after 9/11. I’m so happy that you all had each other to get through a difficult time. Good luck to you and I’m thinking about you. :heart:

As an aside - it’s weird how I feel so connected to the both of you. You wouldn’t know me from Adam’s house cat, but I’m sure I would feel compelled to give you a big southern style hug if I ever saw you in person. Not that I would, because that would be weird…

(Carol O'Carroll) #7

I really have to listen to it again. Lots of discussion that has made me rethink things slightly. Thanks guys.

(Amanda Schultz) #8

Also relistening to this podcast. I have already told several people that I think this episode and the Keto Parenting episodes are your best yet. I don’t even have kids! haha

Oh @richard!
My heart hurts for you and Blackdog. I surely hope he goes “home” safely and swiftly when the time comes. I’m certain his love will kindle for you both again even if he’s forgotten his journey to date.

(John) #10

Listening now, waiting for the lawsuit, had to work with these guys back in the day.

http://www.bar-sfoods.com/brand-fud.php

(What The Fast?!) #11

Hey guys! @carl @richard
At about 27:15, you talk about people who are insulin sensitive and that higher protein is alright for them and that you can get all the energy you need from body fat.

My question is - how do you know if you’re insulin sensitive and if your “fat cells are healthy” (around 28:00)? Is the only way to know this to do a fasting insulin test with a doctor?

(Richard Morris) #12

I think the best way is to do a HOMA:IR calculation which uses 2 diagnostics from a blood test, your fasting insulin and the fasting glucose in your body to get it there. So yeah you would need to get those numbers in a blood test.

But there are circumstantial hints; for example if your weight loss stalls at a higher body weight, you may have met your basal production of insulin, and that will reduce the contribution of body fat to circulating energy which will result in more hunger for dietary fat.

One way of testing is to calorically restrict and see if you become lethargic, and cold in your extremities - these are signals that you are running low on energy and your bodies budgetary task force are making spending cuts. If you keep that up your body will find alternate sources of energy - which given you are limiting carbs and restricting fat … will be your labile pool of amino acids. Do that for long enough and that becomes depleted and then you will break down protein structures not necessary for immediate survival - even though you have a belly made of fat bombs - if you make too much insulin, you don’t get to use them.

I lived n Mexico for years and those dang FUD products were everywhere!

The ad slogan on the trucks was “¡Esta bien FUD!” (“It’s very FUD!”)

(Stacy) #14

I know this is from a yr ago but hoping you see this. My weight loss has stalled (3month stall). I don’t have a blood glucose meter - perhaps that’s something I should invest in. After trying multiple things to get my weight moving I found this site and am now (starting yesterday)trying to increase fat and calories. (I had been reducing calories and lowest was 1033 for my 5’3” height).

It felt wrong and too low although I wasn’t hungry. I know our bodies are all different but your comment about insulin levels got me wondering if you think I might be on the right track? Thanks in advance!

(Richard Morris) #15

Hunger is an important fueling signal. If you are eating 1033 calories and you don’t feel hungry then you are probably eating the right amount, and your body fat is supplementing the rest. If however you are not losing weight, but you eat to satiety and stop - then your body is able to get by on less energy. If you eat 1033 calories and you ARE hungry then you aren’t eating enough and your body is likely reducing it’s demand for energy in response.

(Stacy) #16

Thanks - I was focusing so much on calorie counting I think I just made sure I didn’t focus on hunger. I am now stepping away from that (calorie counting as the be all and end all) and trying to learn to listen to my body signals.