Episode #61 - Metabolic Rate

(carl) #21

On my feasting days I eat 2 meals no more than 8 hours apart. I just jumped in and gave it a shot. Seems to work.

(Kel Ta) #22

How much more are you eating on feasting days vs fasting days? And how many days do you fast or keep btw each feasting day?thankyou!

(carl) #23

I eat nothing on fasting days. On feasting days I eat as much as I want, as much as I can stand, as close to zero carb as possible.

Iā€™ve done 3 days fasted followed by 4 days feasting. During feasting days I donā€™t gain any weight. It flies off me when Iā€™m fasting.

When fasting I only drink black coffee, water, seltzer water, hot bone broth, and hot salty water.

This is really just IF, except that on feasting days you kick it up a notch from what youā€™re used to eating.

Hope that helps.

(Kel Ta) #24

its great! So you are pretty close to ZC most of the time then?

(Kel Ta) #25

thank you for taking the time to break it down! This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out! Thank you!

(carl) #26

Yes. I eat cheese, and if I have a salad itā€™s drenched in blue cheese dressing, which has sour cream and mayo. I donā€™t worry about the incidentals too much. I also eat macadamia nuts and have an occasional glass of red wine. Iā€™ve eaten butter-poached cheeseburgers, ribeyes, bacon, eggs, butter, and the like. You know. Real food. :slight_smile:

(Keto in Katy) #27

Same here. By ā€œoccasionalā€ I mean every single night without exception.

(Barbara Greenwood) #28

When I stared keto, the urge to snack pretty much went away. Well, actually after about 5-6 weeks I guess when I was keto adapted? And I stared skipping breakfast, so two meals a day, about 6-7 hours apart.

But then evening snacking came back - sometimes just one snack, sometimes more evening grazing. But with the breakfast skipping, still a 15 hour fast each day.

I just decided I need to knock the grazing on the head, and have a longer fasting periodā€¦ but I guess this info means I might do better if I make sure my meals are BIG, rather than listen to that siren voice which says, eat less, youā€™ll lose more weight.

(Jessica) #29

Iā€™ve had that problem when I was calorie counting + IF, too.
First I justified it like ā€œwellā€¦ Iā€™ve got X many grams of fat left, so I can have Yā€. One snack lead to another. So whenever this happened, I gained weight. Even though the snacks were keto foods, still affected insulin.

Now, having had big meals and not caring about calories anymore, I didnā€™t feel the urge to snack or ā€œtreatā€ myself with food.

Still curious, how this works when daily IF.
Iā€™d really just up the meals until you found the right amount to get you through without snacks.

(Barbara Greenwood) #30

I think itā€™s easy to get into thinking that youā€™re eating too much at meal times if you end up still feeling full at bedtime (without snacks). So you dial back a bit on the mealsā€¦ but maybe that was a mistake.

I lost at a good rate for six months, but have been essentially static for the last three. It would be good to find the right thing to tweak to get things moving again, as BMI still above 35.

Blood sugars are good, though :slight_smile:

(Kel Ta) #31

Something else for the ladies to include in their consideration is this study (small N and old) but still poss relevant to changes in BMR https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124662

Basal metabolic rate varied significantly with the menstrual cycle. Basal metabolic rate decreased at menstruation and fell to its lowest point approximately 1 wk before ovulation subsequently rising until the beginning of the next menstrual period.

(What The Fast?!) #32

Great show!! Iā€™ve done IIFYM for 12 weeks and had zero resultsā€¦my coach actually accused me of lying in my food journal. Speaking of food journalā€¦I was following another keto group - and they are nuts about macros. Iā€™ve been documenting everything and think that the added stress of trying to stay within those exact targets is worse than just eating to satiation and avoiding carbs, but I digressā€¦

Question on fasting for @carl : do you think this would work with a 24 hour fast as well? Iā€™ve never done a fast before (Iā€™m only a few weeks in), so Iā€™d like to start out with a short one.

(Dustin) #33

I really want to say thank you for episode 61, and the ā€œswitch it upā€ episode. I think it is EXACTLY what i needed!

16:8 /14:10 followed by 24 hour fast
(Nick) #34

Me too and carrying s bag of salt/ white powder through customs is generally never a good idea.