Episode #59 - Type 1 Diabetes with Ian Kelly

(carl) #1

Carl Franklin @carl and Richard Morris @richard interview Ian Kelly, a regular guy who developed Type 1 Diabetes in his 20s. You’ll hear the story of how he thinks he developed it, how he has been managing it for the last 16 years, and what happened when he switched to a ketogenic diet. As of this recording, Ian had only been ketogenic for a week.

(Crow T. Robot) #2

Amazing story! Thanks, Ian – congrats on your new health.

I can’t believe there are diabetics who still refuse to try this diet. I might have missed it, but what exactly was Ian’s holdup for so long? Fear of hypos?

So sorry to learn about your dog, Richard. Hope time heals the sorrow, and hope you draw comfort in the wonderful life Bloob (?) lived. :sleepy::tulip:

(carl) #4

That and just a lack of understanding about it. After he saw the Type 1 Grit group and a few key articles he decided to jump in.

(MakinBacon) #5

Wonderful episode, as usual.

Sorry for your loss @richard. As a pet owner and lover, I feel your pain. My kitties are getting extra hugs tonight.

(Marty Kendall) #6

Looking forward to the listen.

Sorry about sweet little Bluebelle, @richard. :frowning: She sounds like she was a super kickass dog.

Hey Dudes–I adore your show and am constantly recommending it to folks. You never fail to inform and entertain! You boys are truly paying it forward, and i could not thank you enough. Just listened to the FANTASTIC show you did on Type 1 Diabetes w your mate Ian. I reckon he seriously needs to connect with RD Dikeman. (Ivor Cummins did an interview with him less than a year ago and he did an excellent lecture that is avail for viewing at the Diet Doctor.) I don’t often write in to folks but I could not keep quiet about this–Type I’s need to be getting the Keto Message PRONTO!! And it is disgusting & criminal that they are not and here’s why! AS you know–Type I most often afflicts children. More often than not, a child does not control what kinds of food is in their house. That’s up to the parents. And these parents are facing what is quite possibly the most devastating thing that a parent could be faced with–the potential death of their child if they MIS-MANAGE THIS DISEASE. And what kind of advice are they getting?? Information that will MIS-MANAGE THIS DISEASE!! We KNOW its shite…but if you’re not in this world you DON’T KNOW THAT and you will be damned if you will risk your child’s life on the advice of anyone BUT your doctor. I have witnessed this first hand w friends who are so frightened by the thought that any mis-step could send their kid into a deadly coma that they endure the roller coaster because that is what the credentialed folks are telling them to do. It makes my blood BOIL. In fact now that i think about it I think we should put a bit of ZORN ACTION onto this one! Do you reckon you could fire her ire up on this subject?? This messaGE needs a hero.
Thanks again guys for all that you do. It will change the world–you can be damn sure!
x Shauna Rajotte

(Jacquie) #9

Excellent podcast! @richard So sorry to heat about Bloob as I’ve followed her T1 story which was fascinating. :frowning:
Listening to Ian’s story was very interesting, especially after reading in Typeonegrit group about the very sad situation where a T1 young female Dr. married with children, died from hypoglycemia. She had been sick with a cold/flu and was found unconscious and unresponsive at home alone. I think it’s been hard on the group as there are many parents there who, rightly so, worry about their children. It drives home how serious T1 diabetes can be.

(Ashley Haddock) #10

Another great episode that I learned a lot from. I really appreciate all the work you guys put into this. I have never done a podcast but I write blogs and know enough work goes into those that it qualifies as a second job without pay, so I just really appreciate all you guys do. It’s not in my budget at the moment to donate to the podcast but once it is I will definitely donate because you guys have helped so much.

I’m also very sorry about Bluebelle, @Richard. I shared that blog post no less than three times last week and she seems like such a sweetheart. It’s so hard when we lose a part of our heart. :heart:

(Richard Morris) #11

Thanks @No1mum yeah I think we need a Zornado on this subject :slight_smile:

I know @RD_Dikeman and we’ve been planning for months for him to be a guest - it’s just that I met Ian when I was in New London in March so we decidedon the spur of teh moment to do an interview with him, or we would have totally spoken to RD first.

(Richard Morris) #12

Oh that’s awful. Yes I think that continuous glucose monitors are a wonderful invention. Maybe we need some kind of buddy system so that a non diabetic is also notified if the diabetic buddy’s glucose goes hypo.

Really emotional episode. Felt sad for Bloob, Richard and Ian. Also sad that Ketofest isn’t a sure thing yet. Loving my keto comfort food.

(iankelly29) #14

Hi Chris, the biggest hold up for me was not knowing about it. Hypo is always on my mind but I can say with great confidence that the less insulin I have to take, the less my glucose roller coasters and the hypos are virtually gone…
Peace from CT

(iankelly29) #15

Hi Richard the glucose monitor that I use has a share app that anyone can see as long as they have the app on their phone and I give the authorization. So for example my wife has it on her phone And she can watch my glucose in real time if it goes low she has an alarm as well. Pretty awesome. I use a Dexcom G5

(iankelly29) #16

Thank you I will definitely check out that interview.

(Gabor Bellak) #17

Since I started the ketogenic die a year ago t I have taken an interest not only in my own lyfestyle. but also in my mother’s. She is now in her seventies and have been Diabetic type 1 since her late teens. What triggered my interest in her insulin management and diet was the fact that she seemed to have a lot of problems regulating her blood sugar which went up and down all the time!

To come to the point of my story I iadviced her to ntroduced the following changes which has proven very beneficial in stabilizing blood sugar both day and night:

• Only eat 2 meals (which requires rapid insuline) at noon and at 5 pm. This gives blood sugar time to stabilize both before and after the eaitng window during her waken hours.

• The meals should require very little rapid insulin (i.e. be low carb) because it’s always difficult to match the right insulin dosage to the meal you are about to eat. With low carb you cannot err very much,

• The long term insulin dosage should ensure that blood sugar is stable in the fasted state (e.g. during the night sleep). With the blood sugar stabilized before bedtime, and with the correct long term insulin dose- she does not get blood sugar drops during night. This in term makes her more confident lowering her average blood sugar levels.

(Naomi Brewster) #18

Thanks for this episode. I have a cousin (62years) who is type 1 and has been since puberty. He has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer and I was doing some research to give him some information. Thank you particularly for the link to ‘typeonegrit’ Group on facebook - some great and relevant information there for him.