Episode 51 - Insulin Resistance from the Ground Up

(carl) #1

Carl Franklin and Richard Morris talk to Ivor Cummins about his work with Hungarian Biologist Gabor Erdosi based on research that paints a more detailed picture of how insulin resistance happens. It turns out that adipose tissue (fat cells) have a much bigger role to play in metabolic dysfunction than previously thought. This is a fascinating discussion.

looking forward to this one!

Great episodeā€¦really interesting, but reckon Iā€™ll have to listen to it a few times over to take in all of the details. :grin:

OMG OMG OMG OMG! Wifi, here I come.

(carl) #5

Thank you @erdoke (Gabor) for your work in this area. I canā€™t help but think it will change the landscape.

(Tom Seest) #6

Yes. This is one of the best descriptions Iā€™ve heard of the differences in the different types of fat, in relation to body composition, and the long term effects.

(Gabor Erdosi) #7

You ask Ivor who can be trusted when it comes to (interpretation of) science.
I believe that the kind of puzzle solving work we both do is free of any kind of vested interest. If I come across sufficient evidence that supports a non-adipose centric model of metabolic disease I can just shrug and happily move forward. Iā€™ve already done that with ā€˜carbsā€™ in general, with the role of the liver, etc.

(carl) #8

Right. Real scientists are constantly looking for evidence to disprove their current theories.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

This was delightfully refreshingā€“the science, the ebullience, the fusion cuisine of international accents. Two thumbs way, way up.

For cacao powder, weā€™ve got the goods right here in Portland, Oregon. Holy Kakow has raw and processed powders, both organic. Theyā€™re on Amazon.

(carl) #10

AND thank you, Ivor @thefatemperor for such a straightforward and simple explanation!

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

I loved this episode. Very sciency and interesting. Itā€™s episodes like this that keep me excited about Keto. That and the bacon.

(joe churchill ) #12

Ivor posted a youtube version of the podcast with his slides added.

(Tom Seest) #13

Nice.

Does anyone know if the entire slide deck is available as a PDF or PowerPoint online somewhere? @erdoke?

Thanks

(Gabor Erdosi) #14

No, I also donā€™t have the slides from his full PAH talk. The talk hasnā€™t been publicly released yet either.

(Glenn Graham) #15

@richard during the mail section you mentioned a post you made in response to help a lady got a family member to look more seriously at Keto. I did not see it in the show notes, and I did not find it when I searched here, but it sounded like something I want to have a friend read.

Could you add a link?

(Richard Morris) #16

This is the one I think. We didnā€™t have a link on the show notes cos itā€™s in health and not accessible unless you are logged in

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/how-to-assist-a-t2d/869?u=richard

(Meeping up the Science!) #17

In case anyone was curious, the novelty areas of the brain which @Richard mentioned are known as the substantia nigra, and the ventral tegmental area. They are used for several things, however motivation reward and control are notable regarding advertisements, in particular.

These are also possibly implicated in conditioning, as well, which is notable from a disordered eating perspective.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

@Donna
You still have a preserved lambs brain in a jar somewhere, donā€™t you?

When you say ā€œmotivational reward and controlā€ā€¦what do you mean by control?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Careful, this is a keto forum. Somebody might offer a recipe.