Episode #49 - Paying it Forward

(carl) #1

This week on the podcast, Richard Morris (@richard) and I talk to Lino Tadros (@Ltadros), an old friend who suffers from type 2 diabetes and obesity, has tried every diet and procedure without success - even lap-band surgery, and started the ketogenic way of life in January, 2017. I flew across the country to cook for him and his family last week. Needless to say, it was yummy, and the whole family feels better after just a few days. This show is about paying your good fortune forward to help the next generation dodge the bullet of metabolic syndrome while it’s still relatively easy to do.

(Tom Seest) #2

Looking forward to this episode for my commute on Tuesday. I find it relaxes me while I face another work day. Must be that wonderful Music to Code By sprinkled throughout the podcast, or that soothing Barry White voice.

I’m glad you had a good trip out to the bay area. Keep up the great work.

(Carol O'Carroll) #3

Loved this show guys. Would love to hear about Lino’s progress. Great to hear he is improving after such a short time. It always blows my mind when I hear stories like this. Fabulous stuff.

(Cathy Schroder) #4

Great start to my Monday morning listening on the way to work. I would also like to hear more on Lino’s progress and would definitely listen if you made this a second podcast.

(Jamie Hayes) #5

@richard, @carl, @Ltadros
This was a great episode. If you have not already, I think you need to create a Youtube channel showing how you create these amazing meals.

Good luck Lino, I can’t wait for an update on your progress. No doubt, as you weight comes down, you’ll explore more physical activity, at increasingly greater intensity, but that may be quite a while off. Stay the course.

(Mark) #6

Will Lino be a speaker,at Ketofest? sounds like a natural to give a talk,and get a progress update,I’m glad that he got a second chance at life and can be there for his kids and you guys are paying it forward and helping out your friend,great episode, keep up the good work Dudes

(Mark) #7

Felt,I should share this with the forum,I listened to the pay it forward episode early this morning, then later stopped for a to go lunch,from Souplantation,which is a salad bar buffet restaurant where it’s mostly salad with soups and breads and muffins and oh yeah pasta,but I got a salad to go made it up sort of like a Cobb salad,Bacon,egg,Avocado ,some vegetables, my one meal for the day,then went over to the park sat down at a table to eat and then two guys came over and asked if they could share the table and I said helll no,just kidding I said of course,and right away one guy said to the other guy this third heart attack I just had almost killed me and his friend says I know what you mean,I’ve had this Diabetes 12 years and I’m having a hell of a time getting my blood sugar under control and that he’s on four medications and had been trying to quit bread as he was eating a foot long subway sandwich ,and needless to say my ears perked up,and right then one of the guys says you look like you are pretty healthy and looks like you are enjoying that big salad,now normally I mind my own business but before I knew it I was telling them about these 2 keto dudes,who were paying forward what they had learned and that I had been keeping my numbers down and had been fasting and had lost 90 pounds since June and both these guys couldn’t believe it and started asking a bunch of questions, which incredibly I had a few answers from what I have learned here,next thing I know we are pulling up the podcast, and one of the guys starts texting with his his wife about this hardcore keto guy who gave carbs and sugar up and he sent her the podcast,and and my short little lunch turned into an hour and a half and at the end I just let them know that I was following the example of the dudes and paying it forward,I don’t believe that was a coincidence at all and if I hadn’t shared with them ,that got God would of struck me down with lighting right there, for not helping those guys a little bit because the opportunity fell right in my lap,as I get older I try to be intentional and find opportunities to express my gratitude, because I know grateful people are happy people,I ended up showing them a picture of when I was clocking in at 315 pounds,and was sick and didn’t even know it, I thought that was just what came with age,like I have heard others speak of,then they commented on my baggy clothes because I still have some of the xxl shirts that I wear even though I can fit in an XL shirt which I don’t think I’ve done in 20 years,what really made me pay attention to this podcast in the beginning, beyond the science and diet advice, was Richard helping his friend Carl and now Carl helping his friend,that is a great thing,I’ve never participated in a forum before but feel very fortunate to have found this particular one,and would encourage anyone to reach out to someone you see struggling with these issues we all share,because I believe helping each other out is what this life is about and gives it true meaning,sorry for the long post,but I found it very moving that Carl would fly all the way across the country to help his friend, if you need a definition of a friend,that is someone who has your back in your time of need,thank you to everyone on this forum for having my back, Keep Calm and Keto On

(carl) #8

Great Story! Live Keto!

(jketoscribe) #9

It was a wonderful episode, Dudes! I hope I have the chance to pay it forward like that some day but most of the people in my life who really need it are not open and receptive like Lino so I come off sounding like a woo woo crazy person. :clown_face:

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Just be there when the time comes that they are ready to hear the message.

Nice work, Bacon!

(jketoscribe) #12

Well, just received a call that one of the people on “my list” died over the weekend. Feeling so sad . . .

She was terribly overweight, a smoker, and simply could not rein in her diet or stop smoking. She has looked terrible for a few years now, I knew this was coming–she was in congestive heart failure. She and her boyfriend “tried Paleo” for about a week a few years back. I made her a basket of Trader Joe’s goodies that were Paleo (stevia, almond flour, olive oil, coconut oil, etc), but she just couldn’t stick to it or anything else.

I would have loved to “pay it forward” to her.

(Guardian of the bacon) #13

So sorry for your loss. Sadly there is little we can do until people are ready to hear the message. Better to concentrate time and effort on those wanting to help themselves.

(Richard Morris) #14

Nice work.

Yeah that opportunity to explain it to someone else, is actually a gift for us - because the best way to understand something is to teach it to someone else.

(Richard Morris) #15

Sorry Jan, that sucks.

(Kylie Woodruff) #16

I loved this episode so much! Just caught up this morning driving to work…would love to hear another update on how Lino is doing now another month down the track.

(Ish Jenkinson) #17

Also wondering how he’s going :two_hearts:

I was just thinking about Lino! How’s he doing?

(carl) #19

@Ltadros just sent me this picture! Pork shanks German style!

Doesn’t he look great?

(carl) #20