End of week 3, feel miserable

(Luke Owen) #1

Hi Guys,

Been on the diet 3 weeks… was probably classed as a sugar addict before that.

I realise there’s an adjustment period but I’m so tired and down… anyone have any idea how much longer before I start to feel good?

Cheers

Blood test back
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

If you are feeling a lack of energy, that should gradually improve over the next four weeks or so. Your muscles are readapting to metabolising fatty acids.

If you are feeling headachey and lightheaded, increase your salt consumption.

If you are feeling cold as well as tired, you might not be getting enough protein, in which case you should eat more. Because of the way it works with, and not against, the body’s hormones, a well-formulated ketogenic diet does not need to be a calorie-restricted diet. Once our insulin level drops and stops interfering with our appetite hormones, most of us find that our appetite becomes a good guide to how much food we need. We find ourselves automatically eating at a level that allows the body to fuel itself from both the fat we eat and the excess fat we have stored away.

If you are missing sweets and starches, hang in there. The cravings subside eventually, though it takes a long time for them to go away entirely.

(UsedToBeT2D) #3

Paul is right, eat more Keto stuff. Hang in there. It gets better, you get better.

(Luke Owen) #4

Thanks Paul, that helps. Well I guess I was probably a 10/10 sugar / carb addict before this. Would eat chocolate and candy every day. Also most meals had pasta / rice or bread.

Also, Theres one symptom in particular I’m curious about. I’ve had this problem when running that my calf muscles get stiff and sore after about 10 mins to the point where I have to stop. Sucks cause I love running. Every heard of this going away with fat adaptation?

Luke

(Alex ) #5

@Luke_Owen if you’re exercising and cramping, I would definitely invest in some electrolyte tablets - will just up your potassium, chloride, sodium, calcium and magnesium levels and probably help with your nausea as well. I get really bad calf cramps in bed when I’m adjusting but this seems to help. The body is dumping quite a lot of stuff out in the initial phases, so some worthy supplements will help the balance.

(Alex ) #6

… and good luck!

(Luke Owen) #7

Thanks. Can you post a link to the sort of supplement you’re talking about? Just so I know what to look for.

Cheers
Luke

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

If you get your salt intake up (the kidneys excrete sodium more readily, without insulin slowing them down), you might find that you don’t need to supplement the other electrolytes. Or you still may need to, it’s an individual thing. But the first thing is to get salt intake into the range of 10-15 g/day (2-3 U.S. teaspoons), including salt already present in food. That’s the easiest thing to try, so I recommend doing it first. When salt is in the proper range, it’s much easier for the body to keep all the other electrolytes balanced. I have a prejudice against supplementing, but don’t let that stop you if you feel you need it.

Try Slo-Mag, if you can find it, for magnesium, Lo-Salt (which is half potassium chloride) for potassium. Epsom salt baths also help the body with magnesium, since it can be absorbed through the skin.

(Alex ) #9

these are the ones I use, currently taking them twice a day (waking up / before bed) alongside my multivitamin.

There are a billion different varieties out there, can’t guarantee they will stop your cramps dead, but could be convenient solution for you. Supplements are only ever going to be just that, supplementation alongside the rest of your diet, so your call really. I just use them for convenience.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

You ate SAD for how many years/decades? You’ve been eating keto for 3 weeks. As I say every time I post, “When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality”. Lots of folks get misled by the widespread hype about keto: either it’s the most miraculous diet ever or it’s going to kill you before your next birthday.

As noted above by other posters, many folks experience a short period of discomfort due to transitioning from carb-centric to fat-centric eating. The good news is that it will pass. The not so good news is that keto is not magic and fixing the damage done by years/decades eating SAD might take longer than you think. Best wishes.

a74e0c13137db1e606e889dffe555848