Emulsifying an oily bone broth

(Tony) #1

In my slow cooker I stuck some meaty, fatty beef bones, some diced heart and topped up with water.
I want to pull the bones out and eat the whole thing like a soup, there is a lot of oil on top. Is there a way to emulsify it? Perhaps xanthan gum? Obviously I’d prefer to stay away from flour. My blender isn’t than big/good and Ideally I’d want it to stay emulsified so I can put some in the fridge.

I’d be more inclined to skim and clarify it - plenty of tastier ways to get fat in your diet.

(UsedToBeT2D) #3

Just stir it up and enjoy the fat as you eat it.

(Tony) #4

Don’t really want to waste all that beef fat tbh and I think it’s got the potential to be tasty meal!!

Fair enough

(Tony) #6

There’s half an inch of fat on top, I think I’d be retching if I ate it straight :wink:

I blend my broth with fat (using a handheld blender) and it’s really good. Creamy and very tasty :yum:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

If the fat is too much, you can chill the broth and remove as much of the solid fat as you wish. Save it, however, and use it when you get a lean cut of meat that could stand to have some added fat. I find that, while I enjoy pork fat at any temperature, cold beef fat is generally not to my taste. It’s okay when warm, but the texture is a bit unpleasant once it solidifies. You can also use the broth and its fat when making gravy. (Warmed up first, of course!)

(Karen) #9

I keep all the fat that sits on the top when it’s gone cold. I use it to fry eggs or make omelette or just eat it cold on top of leaner meat as it adds so much flavour. Waste not want not.

don’t use that gum junk LOL

just skim off some and find your fat tolerance you like and whip it together and you got your soupy kinda texture you want.

remember too you can kinda take care of ‘extra fat’ before the big crockpot cook with doing this: Bone marrow is mostly fat. If you don’t want as much fat in your broth, you can roast the marrow bones and spoon out the marrow for use as a nice topping for steak. It’s like beef-flavored butter. Then use the roasted bones in your broth.

so then that fat from that marrow from those bones don’t add more fat into that equation.

hope some of that helps :slight_smile:

and you said you ‘topped’ with water I take it to get a more ‘soup watery extra’ you want in that meal…I know I use almost 0 water in my crockpot and get meat and a denser liquid fat to meat ratio that works well for me…again it is experiment time on your slow cooker for you LOL

That reminds me of a time when I was a paleo newb years ago and I drank bone broth for breakfast often and I had just stirred up the whole pot and poured a mug and it had a ton of fat on top. Did it mostly because I was in a hurry. Tasted so good! But a little while later I was sick as a dog! Never made that mistake twice.

(Tony) #12

Thanks Madeleine, that’s what I did and it worked a treat.
I pulled the meat off the bones and put it to the side, blended the broth with the heart and added the meat back after.
It tasted like it was made with double cream :yum: :ok_hand:
I was happily surprised it stayed in emulsion, I though it would only be temporary.