Elevated Fasting Blood Glucose

Well, both shoulders are injured so there’s not much I can do at this time. But I still appreciate the suggestion!

You could experiment with the MCT and see if it brings the glucose down.

The other possibility is that you may just be releasing a lot of stored body into circulation and it’s giving you some elevated readings. The glucose should stabilize when the fat loss starts to plateau.

Gotcha. This morning was better, 1.1 ketones and 105 FBG.

As an update, FBG was 126 and ketones were 1.5. Any chance it’s what I’m eating keeping it up? For example, almonds? I’m not overeating on any nuts I don’t think as I usually measure a serving, but I have a couple ounces over the course of a day.

Also, might I be not consuming enough total calories and that’s why blood glucose is elevated (considering your theory of breaking down stored tissue)?

I’ll side-step the calories part and look at it in terms of fat flux.

If the foods you’re eating keep insulin low enough, more fatty acids will be released into circulation and converted into ketones and glucose. Raising the amount of insulin-stimulating foods will decrease the fat flowing out and increase the fat going back in, provided you aren’t in diabetic terriory where adipose uptake is broken regardless of insulin signalling.

Eating fat will also raise the fatty acids available for conversion to glucose and ketones for several hours after a meal.

split this topic #27

2 posts were split to a new topic: Glucose still high on EF

Glucose still high on EF

Update here: I had the thought yesterday that maybe my novamax ketone meter just maybe wasn’t reading anything right after instead of eating breakfast, I had 1.5 tbsp pure c8 mct oil and registered at .4 ketones around 12:30pm, so only .1 increase from the mct oil dose at 6am.

Turns out, the novamax can register up to .5 mmol lower than the Precision Xtra according to Jimmy Moore’s blog LLVLC. Also, apparently I’m not being careful enough washing my hands and handling the glucose strip and taking too much vitamin C which is screwing up my blood glucose readings.
There’s some research on pubmed for both and plenty of anecdotal evidence of it as well around the webs.

So, now I’m trying to decide if I want to purchase a Precision Xtra Ketone Meter or just realize that I’m probably good enough with the numbers I’ve seen. I’m a big fan of being technical as possible with stuff like this, but is it worth another hundred plus for a new meter and both kinds of strips? I don’t know.

I ended up buying the Precision Xtra glucose and ketone meter and side by side comparison with the novamax. Ketones were .1 mmol insignificantly different but blood glucose was 95 this morning on the Precision Xtra. I didn’t have any glucose strips left for the Novamax but I never registered that low so I assume the Precision is accurate because every lab blood test I’ve ever had is similar or lower.

(Jim Russell) #30

I just came to the conclusion that my novamax is way off for glucose. I also have a Relion meter, but had stopped using it once I got the novamax. The novamax was consistently showing my bg over 100, usually between 110 and 130’s. I did a bunch of research into high bg while in ketosis and the dawn effect, etc. For the last 3 or 4 days I’ve been comparing the relion and novamax and the novamax is consistently 20-30 points higher. I was quite relieved that my fasting bg is not in pre-diabetes/diabetes territory.

I’m glad that the novamax is ketones seems to be accurate. I had heard that it is consistently lower than the precision for ketones. I’m out of strips for the precision, but maybe I should order a few ketone strips so I can compare the precision and novamax ketone measurements.

I thought the Novamax was going to be lower too by the feedback I’ve seen on the webs, but I’m not seeing. If you could get a couple more strips to also do a side by side comparison, that would be great. The more feedback the better.

FWIW, I once noticed a 1.1 on the Precision and a .7 on the Novamax. So, a .4 difference.

(Jameela Frierson) #33

I started my Keto diet 7 days ago. I just got my test strips in and my Ketone level is above 8.0. From what I am seeing this is too high, I have little to NO appetite and I am forcing myself to eat. I am eating little to NO carbs, mainly consuming protein shakes, eggs other meat and veggies… Do I need to add more carbs and scale back on my keto shakes?

Broke a fast (2 days water, 1 day egg) last night, out to dinner. before I left for dinner I checked ketones w/ the novamax that just arrived, 4.7 was the reading.
Dinner was not above 20 on carbs and I tried to leave a lot of the chicken untouched to avoid overdoing protein (after having 10-12 mussels as well!). 2 hr Postprandial BG was 82 and this morning FBG was 87.
Had butter, CO in decaf today, 2 eggs, 2 bacon and 1.5 T butter and then checked 2 hr postprandials, BG = 92 and ketones at 1.9

Does this sound like a normal fluctuation? I was a bit surprised by a BG in the 90s after avoiding carbs, but?

I’m thinking the good thing is that these readings let me know I’m becoming fat adapted, again, does this sound correct?

Update here: my novamax said .5 this morning and the Precision said .3, so it can go either direction in error.

Did you ever get this question answered? I was wondering if you also tested your blood glucose, and is it a blood ketone test you did? Have things resolved now?

(Jim Russell) #37

I got some of the Precision strips yesterday, but haven’t tested yet. I will probably do that later today.

(Jim Russell) #38

Been fasting for about 36 hours. Checked blood ketones with Precision Xtra and NovaMax

Precision 0.4 mmol/l
Novamax 0.5 mmol/l

I bought 20 Precision strips, so I’ll do some more comparisons.

36 hours fasting is great, hope you get where you want to with the numbers/healing too.

I’m on day 4 of back to eating and last night I overdid the protein. Total for the day was 91g! But when my son arrived with 14 fresh off the boat lobsters (literally), I HAD to eat two of them no matter what I had already eaten! Right?

This morning’s FBG was 105 (Precision Neo) and Blood Ketones 1.8 (Nova Max)

(Jim Russell) #40

Mmmm… Lobster. Hopefully there was plenty of melted butter as well.