Elevated Deck Squat

(Vladaar Malane) #1

These buggers you have to be slow and controlled with; Nearly injured my knee last week on them going too fast.

Cool thing is it takes you one progression closer to the pistol Squat. One legged squats are impressive.

BTW what’s funny is my videographer my 9 year old son was able to crank these out with no leg training whereas I had to work up progressions because lacked mobility.

Nobody gives mobility enough credit! After a decade in workboots I lost the mobility to do squats correctly so I started doing hack squats. Took about 3mo of nonstop ankle mobility work to do barbell squats again. Now I’m working on my wrists so I can do front squats again. I can squat 315 which isn’t crazy impressive but more than 135 on a front squat and I’m in wrist pain and falling forward from the balance and wrist / shoulder mobility. Clearly the legs can do it! I could do the whole crossing the arms thing but screw that I want to mobility back. Just recently learned about shoulder dislocates and can barely hold a bar and get it much behind my head, gave the bar to my 6yo and told him how to do it and right around from his thighs to his butt and back it went! I’ll get it eventually!

(Bob M) #3

I can’t do a pistol squat, so I switched to shrimp squats:

https://alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/the-shrimp-squat/

I still attempt to do pistol squats, though.

(Vladaar Malane) #4

AL Kavadlo is awesome. Got a few of his books.

(Bob M) #5

I have one of his books, too.

After watching that video, I realize I’m not going low enough. I was not going all the way down to touch my knee to the ground. I’ll give that a try next time.