Eggs labeled free range

(Megan) #1

…may sound good but may not necessarily mean happier healthier birds and better eggs.

The USDA’s definition of “free range” for eggs is that they are “produced by hens housed in a building, room, or area that allows for … continuous access to the outdoors during their laying cycle. The outdoor area may be fenced and/or covered with netting-like material.” The definition does not determine a minimum area to ensure that all hens can move freely in the outdoor space, nor does it specify the type of ground cover to ensure that hens are able to forage on vegetated soil and engage in natural behaviors outdoors. A small, entirely enclosed area with a concrete floor, accessible to only a small percentage of the hens in the house, would meet the definition without meeting the birds’ need to express natural behaviors.

(Eric) #2

That’s why I buy pasture raised from sources that I know let the chickens live in better conditions. Free range is a little too vague for my preferences

Yes. Unless I can visit the hens and see they live free enough, I can’t possibly know if they are okay.
(I only saw a few hens personally… They had a big garden with trees and stuff. But they were too free, they were let out to go wherever they pleased and the foxes caught them all.)

I buy eggs from houses when possible, they aren’t always good enough but I can’t do more.
And when it’s not possible, I can buy eggs with better code on them and hope for the best. I do what I can. I only ever see 2 codes here, caged or alternative, whatever the latter means.

(Allie) #4

Free range is most often BS whatever country you’re in. Unless you can see the hens running around, they’re not free range.

The UK rules are that they must have “access to an outdoor area” so the hens are crammed into barns by the thousand, unable to move around with a lucky few being able to see the door but with most not even knowing there’s a door there let alone being able to use it.

Free range organic hen, Flutter, one week after being rescued.

(Rebecca ) #5

It breaks my heart to know how some “commercial” animals are treated.

(Robin) #6

Allie, have you shared more pics of your three rescues recently? I remember they looked so pitiful. I love watching any rescued animal thrive.

(Allie) #7

I haven’t for a while no, just so crazy busy and now with the evenings drawing in, I barely get any daylight hours with them - this time of year is awful :pleading_face:

This is my gang in bed last night though :grin:

Yay, thanks for the pics, I always gladly look at the girls :slight_smile:

(Allie) #9

I love seeing them all tucked up warm and happy together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Robin) #10

Love that. And I love all the little happy noises they make.

That is So. Effing. Deceptive. :rage:

(Megan) #12

I agree. I had no idea until a friend told me and I looked it up. The label is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

(Karen) #13

I get eggs from a neighbor during the summer months ….stunningly different

(Allie) #15

In the UK free range is the closest you’ll get to pasture raised, unless you can actually find somewhere where you can physically see the hens out in the open. People mistakenly have the idea that free range hens run freely around in meadows happily popping out eggs as they go… couldn’t be further from the truth.

This little one was so weak and calcium depleted when she came to me that she didn’t even have the strength to lay the egg inside of her. She didn’t even weigh a kilo :sleepy:

I had to carefully move the egg inside of her and actually squeeze it out of her or she was going to die… “free range organic”

I would rather go without eggs than pay for them from any commercial farm. If you can’t see hens running free, it’s not a good place to buy eggs.

(Robin) #16

Bless you, Allie.