Egg yolk

(Tsering M) #1

Dr. Mercola says that egg yolks need to be eaten runny - that they shouldn’t be cooked beyond that.

Any thoughts on that?

(Jacquelyn Graham) #2

You can try and take my deviled eggs and hard boiled eggs away from me, but you might pull back a stump. :wink: I don’t know, but I’m sure it has to do with nutrient values and I do eat my fried eggs with the yolk as runny as possible, so I’m sure it balances out. Gotta have something to dip that bacon in.

FFS! Whatever floats your boat but doesn’t work well for me with a hardboiled egg! I do love a runny yoke though and drooled over the perfect hardboiled eggs I made the other day with just a smudge of run right in the middle. It’s nitpicking IMO. Eat your eggs however you want to and enjoy them. x

(Todd Allen) #4

I’ve heard egg yolks are ok raw maybe in some ways better than cooked, but that egg whites are less digestible raw and cooking them is better. Fortunately many cooking methods, soft boiled, poached, over easy, etc. cook the whites before the yolks letting you get the best of both. But I don’t obsess about it and will use eggs in recipes from fully raw to fully cooked.

(Genevieve Biggs) #5

There is truth to that. The oxidized cholesterol in the yolks are less easily digested. I personally had trouble eating cooked yolks for a long time, and it only recently changed after months on keto.

I can’t do runny yolks. I rarely fry eggs, and when I do I normally cook until the yolk is pretty solid.

I read the words… “Dr Mercola says…”

And that’s when I tuned out, and ignored the rest of the sentence.

Lol. I was going to say that but didn’t. I definitely thought it though!

(Patrick B.) #9

Dip… Do you do it for the exercise? I put my eggs over the bacon… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Tsering M) #10

Dr. Mercola is unpopular around here, it seems :slightly_smiling_face:

In my experience reading the stuff on his website and listening to podcasts/youtube videos, is that I found a lot of hit and miss in the content he presented. I find that I have to invest hours of research looking into his claims, and get discouraged when I find big holes. It’s my experience. I dunno…others may have a different view.

(Tsering M) #12

Thanks for your response. He pops up easily during searches - most people, it seems, esp., beginners, will refer to his page.

I haven’t listened to him but read his pages when his pages popped up during searches.

But had no idea he could be so disliked in some quarters.