Eating

(Rebecca B) #1

Hello All! I’ve changed to the Keto way of eating just a week ago. My food intake is a bit more limited than most, as we don’t eat pork, or shell fish. I’ve also cut out dairy because it seems to not agree with me. I’d love some recipes if anyone has a few suggestions. :slight_smile:

(eat more) #2

check out the recipes section
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/recipes-recipes-recipes

also if you have a specific ingredient/dish in mind you can google like:
“keto swedish meatballs” (without the quotes)

there are a lot of keto/LCHF sites out there
just a couple…i’m sure you’ll find more :blush:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com

(David Driver) #3

We don’t eat pork or shellfish either so I am pretty much in the same boat. But on top of that I really can’t bring my self to eat any significant quantities of eggs.

(Rebecca B) #4

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!:blush:

(Rebecca B) #5

I’m learning as I go with all of this. So far, I’m hanging in there! Apparently lots of people on Keto do eat quite a bit of pork. So, I’ve just been taking the recipes so far. It does male it a bit more challenging for sure!

(Jacquie) #6

Not sure if either or both of you are kosher. If so, there seems to be a fair number of kosher keto websites on the net. If not, ignore my suggestion. :wink: Diet Doctor has lots of great recipes that might work for you. I’ve been keto for over 2.5 years and do it dairy and artificial sweetener free. That works for me! :grinning:

(Rebecca B) #7

Hi Jacquie! Yes, we are kosher.( well , our family is, I’m not sure about Dave.) I’ve been staying away from dairy too. What are you using for a sweetener? I’ve tried a few different types of stevia, but haven’t found a good one yet. I bought some truvia, but it seems like I get a weird headache after I use it. Maybe it’s just a coincidence though. I’m going to have to look for good kosher keto sites!

(Rebecca B) #8

I meant David. Sorry.

(Jacquie) #9

My first year of keto I did dairy and artificial sweetener free. I then introduced both. The only sweeteners I used were SweetLeaf Sweet Drops and Swerve. Sugar was always my problem and nothing was ever too sweet. I’ve been off all AS since last Dec. and feel great! Stevia is tricky as all the brands get mixed feedback from people. I wouldn’t be surprised if AS spiked my insulin even though BG was normal.
My 23andMe results showed that I’m probably dairy intolerant (the report can’t say for sure) and I do feel better without it. My ancestral composition is 95% Ashkenazi Jew and a high percentage of Ashkenazi Jews are lactose intolerant. Here’s an interesting link.
http://milk.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000661

(Rebecca B) #10

Very interesting Jacquie! That’s crazy!

(David Driver) #11

We used to keep pretty strict Kosher, dividing meat and dairy, etc. but after a crisis or two we don’t really consider ourselves religious at this point. Parts of Kosher stick because it has been part of our life for so long but everything else related to observance is pretty much gone. I am also afraid of what pork would do to my digestion, if you don’t eat it regularly you won’t have the digestive bacteria to help break it down. It makes me sick every time I get accidentally exposed.

(Jane Reed) #12

I don’t eschew pork but haven’t eaten it, with the exception of bacon, for many months. It is so dry and bland without a salt brine or sauces. Chicken I find the same. It is beef for me.