Eating Well-Rounded

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #24

Right. So Braunschweiger is a caution food for keto because of carbs in liver, and a caution food in ZC because it has plants, albeit ones with negligible carbs. Sure is delicious, though!

(flyferretschef) #25

Maybe about a month or so ago, I made my own chicken liver pate, sticking pretty close to a “Joy of Cookimg” recipe. (It had carbs, but when I cook with an unknown technique for the first time, I try to stick pretty close to the recipe.)

Anyhoo, it turned out fantastically good!! I’m planning to make it again soon, cutting down/out the carby ingredients, and also trying it with pork or calf liver instead of chicken.

(Charndra Pile) #27

@cindychalker, I know, right? I’m in Adelaide, I am stunned at the specials they get in the US!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #28

Looking forward to your updates @CarlaToo
The last time I tried liver pate was with deer liver about 20 years ago. It stunk up the house and tasted horrid, the cats and dogs wouldn’t even touch it!

(flyferretschef) #29

I think I’m not entirely surprised about the deer liver. If it had a diet of mostly acorns and other wild forage, I’d imagine the liver had quite a strong / gamey taste and smell.

Makes me wonder what goat liver would be like? In terms of preferred forage-eating patterns, goats are more like deer than they are like sheep. But in commercial production, I wonder how much browsing they actually get to do?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #30

I had lamb liver for the first time this week. I thought it was really good, but I’m not that fussy about liver.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #31

I’m trying, still having to hide it in meatloaf and similiar food. I’m having a tough time getting past the memories of my Mom’s weekly meal of liver leather and onions.

(Annette) #32

Pre-keto, I was a fan of calf’s liver. It was dredged in flour before cooking. Now how would I cook it? Just sauté in butter?

(Retta Stephenson) #33

I’m following this with keen interest. Can you point me to some links where I can read about the science behind why we don’t really NEED vegetables/fruit in order to get all the micronutrients most health professionals hound me about?? Or did the 2KetoDudes do a podcast I missed?
Thank you.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #34

The point is there never was proof in the first place that they are needed. It doesn’t exist, and I posit that it can’t be shown, because it’s not true.

As to micronutrients, meat is far more nutrient dense than plants, the nutrients are more bioavailable, in some cases by an astounding degree, and unlike plants, meat doesn’t come with anti-nutrients.

I do have posts on the topic, for example:

Are vegetables good for you?
Meat is best for growing brains (This one is “about” something else, but has a lot of relevant information.)

I would also recommend the website of Dr. Georgia Ede, for example this post:
http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/

It is fact that of the post-modern peoples who survived after our best food source, the mega-fauna, went extinct, several societies thrived on only meat, including Inuit, Maasai, Mongolians, and various tribes of Plains Indians. Vegetables are not necessary for health.

2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge
(Retta Stephenson) #35

Thank you, Amber. I’ll definitely check these out.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #36

Yes, sautéing in butter would work, you could try substituting a keto friendly flour (e.g., coconut, almond), success will depend on what the flour brought to the flavor before. I’ve not tried this recipe, I’m working my way back to liver this month by including it in my meatloaf.

(Annette) #37

That recipe sounds so very delicious, Becky. Definitely not Zero Carb (which I have committed to for January), so I will save the mushroom and onion portion ifor later. Will definitely try the bacon and liver part. Thank you!

Annette

(Retta Stephenson) #38

Thanks to your comment, I braved the cold and light snow to visit Costco. Score! Australian Lamb shanks, $4.99/pound. Now to figure out how to cook it. I can’t ever remember eating lamb before. :grin:

(Sondra Rose) #39

Can’t help you there! My husband roasts it in the oven. That’s all I know…he’s the chef in the family.

(Rebecca) #40

I think most people cook lamb shanks in a slow cooker. It’s the only way I’ve ever had them.

(Larry Lustig) #41

The Australian lamb I see at Costco for that price is leg of lamb, not the shank. I sear and roast, I like it rare

(Retta Stephenson) #42

I’m cracking up over my ignorance! I just re-read the label, and it is not a shank. What I bought was actually a boneless leg of lamb! duh… Today I’ll do like you wrote: sear and roast. Thanks!

I have befriended a farmer and his wife who raise 100% grassfed lamb. I purchased ribs for $4/# and she gave me a bunch of bones for free including their joints which make a rich, nutrient dense broth. After simmering for 72 hours, the bones are so soft that I can chew them up and swallow. The lamb bones are much more flavorful as compared to the large beef or bison bones. A little chalky. The marrow of course comes out in the broth, but I manage to use a shishkabob skewer to dig out even more. Marrow is delicious! I always roast my bones with salt and pepper 425 deg.F for about 20 min. before putting them into a pot with just enough water to cover. Make sure you scrape all the melted fat from the roasting pan into your soup pot. Then put 1T or so of ACV into the water and let sit for 20 min. or so before turning on the heat. The ACV helps draw out minerals from the bones. I use the thick, fatty broth on salads, other meats, and just warmed in a cup.

$4.99 is a good price for lamb shanks. My farmer charged $8.