Eating Out On A Budget by Zorn

(KB Keto) #122

this is a longggg post - wow! haha I’m still a bit confused… Are you eating 60+ grams of protein in one sitting?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #123

Yes. Why. Do you see an issue with that? Or just curious?
I normally practice 20/4 IF
70 grams protein is my daily goal to meet Steven Phinney’s recommended amount to maintain LBM. Basically I chose his mid-range.

I recalculated the protein amount as @eschor reported it has more.

He was wrong.

A McDouble does in fact that have 17 grams protein, including the cheese.

That burger is not as big as the photo implies FYI. LOL

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #124

Just as a reference @KBDelight, a 10 ounce steak has 62 grams protein.

(KB Keto) #125

I can only speak from my knowledge base from the study I’m doing at Ohio State (see N=1), but they recommended keeping my protein equally distributed across my meals as much as possible as single large intakes can cause changes in ketosis … then again im not doing IF so I cant speak for that. I do some IF on some weekends (where I only drink butter /co/hwc coffee until early afternoon.

If it works for you, awesome! I’m still learning

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #126

@Shill123
One McDouble only has 17 grams protein.
@eschor forgot to take the other ingredients off.

Four McDouble are in fact 68 grams protein. Damn near perfect macros for me.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #127

N=1 indeed.
I am not “thrown out of ketosis” eating all my protein at once. I have a Ketonix (breath) and a blood ketone meter.
:zornface:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #128

Mayo. Their mayo has maybe 1 gram carbohydrate per packet.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #129

@KBDelight
I have a history of severe insulin resistance.
Eating less often keeps my insulin low for longer periods of time -the goal. Lower insulin.
That is the goal for weight loss.
That is the goal to increase insulin sensitivity.

Maybe your goals are entirely different? Yes?

(KB Keto) #130

Absolutely Brenda - The study at Ohio State is focused on physical and mental performance on a keto diet (KB's KETO Diet Study)

Like I was saying - I’m still learning more about Keto and all the ways people do it differently.

That’s great that you’ve found a way to use the diet to help alleviate some physical issues.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #131

@KBDelight

Cured my T2DM boyeee

A1c from 12 to a normal 5.5
Normal morning BG
100 pounds GONE
Trigs 1200 to 90
3 years strict ketogenic

Dude. Listen to my story!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #132

Gaze your eyes upon my most recent lipids.
Be jelly.

(KB Keto) #133

I’m currently on the fasting episode - like 4 or 5. I’ll get to the story in due time!

(eschor) #134

no calculation done here. googled mcdouble…they said 23 grams protein. may have misread. no challenge intended. just amazed. 4 x 23…wowzer big protein. i am the worst. but thought i understood goals in general in the 60-75 gram range. …reading your response. truly this was not a challenge just an idiot question. no offense intended…please do forgive me. i also follow mostly 20-4 but i think was was drooling when i asked. interesting other input.

reading down…beautiful results., also long term hard work. congratulation

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #135

Dude. Not offended. Just asking questions like you did.

You have to calculate nekked beef patties!

No big deal.
And yes, my daily protein is 70 grams. Used to be 100-120 for the first three years ketogenic before I did more research recently(obviously that amount didn’t HURT me, but burning protein for fuel is a waste). With DEXA scans and a confidence about Phinney’s recommendation (his is 1.5 grams per kg LBM), I stay just under his at .55 per pound LBM now.
Thank you btw :heart:
:slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #136

Here’s some interesting information on what the different experts recommend.
With my LBM of 128 pounds, if I followed these experts recommendations for grams protein per kg LBM, these would be my daily protein macros:
Fung 0.6 = 35g/day
Aussie NRV 0.75 = 44g/day
Rosedale 0.8 = 47g/day
Dudes 1 = 58g/day
Phinney 1.5 = 87g/day
Ketogains 1.8 = 105g/day

I chose .55 per pound LBM (Or 1.21 grams per kg LBM, just under Steven Phinney’s recommendation) or 70 grams protein per day.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #137

Pffffffft

(Andrew Anderson) #138

I went with 3 triples mustard only! Bonus cheese. They are $2 each.

(James storie) #139

Yeah, I got 4 double cheese burgers, they were on sale 2 for $3. I ordered them plain without buns, the worker ask, do you want them all in the same platter? Sure! If they will fit. Ended up being 2 platters.

(John B) #140

The wife and I went to 5 Guys over the weekend for lunch, as we heard they don’t flinch when asked to have there burgers without a bun. Sure enough, right on the menu it says that burgers, and hot dogs, can be served bun less. We each got a bacon cheeseburger with the works and it was served in a aluminum tray with a knife and a fork! No fries of course, but we didn’t need it, very satisfying!

(Jennifer) #141

Here is a pic of the 2/3 pound monster burger…

It was amazing.