Eating Out On A Budget by Zorn

(Becky) #142

McDonald’s App currently has the Signature Sandwiches for $3.99. Dinner for the last week has been, grilled chicken breast, guacamole, pica de gallo, cheese and a piece of romaine with a side of 2 regular patties, all no bread! Yum!

(Jeremy Storie) #143

One of my favorites!

(Meeping up the Science!) #144

Chipotle: I just order 2 sides of meat, or 1 side of meat and 1 side of guac. Comes to around $4. (of course, I don’t eat much).

Culvers has great keto-able food. They have green beans instead of fries, people. I will get a kid’s meal with green beans vs. fries, a bottle of water, and a bunless burger for around $6.

(Becky) #145

_Smash burger has a double triple burger on sale right now with two patties and three slices of cheese $4.00! I order mine, no bun, all cheddar, extra pickles, cucumber, with mayo and ranch to stay. They serve it on a plate with the veggies on the side.

Thanks for putting this together! This forum just keeps on delighting me!!!

I probably should read the comments below but I have a quick question for folks that eat out on keto.

You know when you go out to a burger or steak place, they would say 8oz beef patty, or something like 10oz ribeye steak. Is that in general raw weight or cooked weight? This is mostly east coast US.

Trying to watch how much protein I am eating. But I do eat out a fair amount.

Thanks in advance!!!

I do this at Wendy’s with the triple combo no bun, side of chili instead of fries, unsweet tea. Yes, I know the chili has beans (OMG) and 12 net g carbs. Sue me.

Actually don’t sue me, I’m a lawyer.

You can alternatively get a side salad instead of chili.

(roxanna) #149

Raw.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #150

Raw weight, which is what you should go by when measuring.

I usually go to Carl’s Jr. since you can order any burger or sandwich they make lettuce wrapped. When I order I say “Can I get two Big Cheeseburgers, both of them lettuce wrapped with no ketchup.” Comes out to $5 and I’m full.

(Olivia) #152

Thanks for reviving this thread. It hadn’t occurred to me to ask for a bun-less burger. In Germany, you’re still very much the “freak” if you refuse bread. (Then again, our bread is a little healthier than the stuff in America.)
On the topic of eating on the go: A tip for Europeans, in Turkish take-away restaurants, you can always get a kebab salad, which has the fatty meat and the feta cheese topped with the garlic-yoghurt dressing or just an olive oil dressing. I have seen this on every menu in these doner kebab corner-shops.

Yesterday my family and I went out to movies after a full day of work/school around 6pm. Needless to say, it was dinner time. Or really, fast food time. I thought I’d get my first chance of ordering from McDonald as keto’er but they closed that store temporarily. Horrible! There were a few American-Asian fast food places covered in sugar and flour, and Subway. I could have ordered a Subway salad with cold cuts, I guess. But I opted for a bottle of sparkling water, and fasted. The first two minutes were hard, then it was not bad at all. I was not hungry after the water. And did not eat till this morning! Still awaits my first keto fast food experience! {Although technically I already had one as the other day I ordered black coffee and kerrygold from Starbucks, I felt like a weirdo but the barista was nice}

(Ethan) #154

Lawyers never win in a ketocracy! If you can handle the 12g carbs, the chili is a great choice.

(Ethan) #155

I love how the reference ranges are different for EVERY lab. The one my doctor uses has LDL at <100 and triglycerides < 130.

Were your lipids ever “bad”? How long did they take to get to the decent range? I was keto in 2013 and got totally normal in 3 months. This time I am keto permanently, but my LDL was 199 and total cholesterol was 268.

(Tracee Smith Stoner) #156

Blue Cheese Dressing has only 1 gram of carbs per serving.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #157

Be careful. Some brands have more. I found this to be especially true with ranch. I look for the 1 carb per serving of ranch but I’ve seen as many as 4 grams of carbohydrates per serving

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #158

Only when I did the 30 days steak challenge but they resolved when I went back to eating normal Keto. My triglycerides were off the chart again in the midst of my 30-day steak challenge. There’s a two keto dudes episode where I talk about what happened. It’s called the 30-day steak challenge. There’s also a huge thread in the Forum here about my steak challenge.

(Mother of Puppies ) #159

If you ask for a “side” of barbacoa, :wink:and a side each of guac, cheese and sour cream, it’s like $4