Eating on the bike

(The Gipp ) #1

I’m brand new to this keto thing. I’m an avid cyclist and was wondering what people eat on the bike because it seems that everything is nothing but carbs.

(Tom Seest) #2

With or without motor?:biking_man::biking_woman:t4::biking_man:

(Larry Lustig) #3

My own body fat.

(The Gipp ) #4

Pedaling

(Tom Seest) #5

Bacon jerky, almond butter, Adapt Bars, pork rinds…

(thefeatherdustersllc) #6

Ha!

Have you tried lettuce wraps?

(Steven Cook) #8

On rides up to roughly 100km/63miles I don’t need anything other than water/electrolyte. On longer rides of up to 200km/125 miles I’ll take some macadamias or “Babybel” cheese. Not because I feel in need of the enrgy to turn the pedals, rather my stomach just seems to feel “empty” after that amount of cycling.

(ianrobo) #9

I would say if you feel you need to eat on a ride even a 4-6 hour one then you are not fully fat adapted.

You do need electrolytes but so do carb burners and they often forget, I did in the past …

Oh and if you can afford it, get Vespa !

(Ritchie Linden) #10

I have started to carry squeeze packets of coconut butter and oil with me. Where the dificulty really lies is saying no to the the papette at the coffee shop after the second col. Nut I really like the idea of macadamias and babybel as I do get the hunger on a long ride.

(ianrobo) #11

If on real long rides then carbs not really a problem, I will use Jelly Babies for anything over 6 hours (got three planned).

Did a doctor recommend those? If so, Doctor Who? :laughing:

(ianrobo) #13

ha ha N=1 mate !!

For anyone that didn’t understand the reference, it was to Tom Baker playing Doctor Who on BBC; he always used to carry Jelly Babies. :wink:

(Sascha Heid) #15

Smoked pork-belly!
I love it.
You will love it.
It is heavenly.
OMG i want some now.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #16

I’ve always thought that pemmican should be good, not just for the bike, but anytime one is away from home (or reliably keto-friendly territory) for long periods.

Not commercial stuff, but home made. Here is one recipe:

Maybe it could go in a lettuce wrap to add some moisture and variety to the texture. On that subject,

Is there any other way of getting lettuce wraps to stay in place other than cocktail sticks? While that certainly works, it might not be too comfortable for food you are likely to be carrying about your person.

Do you have access to large collard green leaves? If you remove the hard stem, you are left with a large, flat sheet that can be rolled/folded like a burrito. With a thin layer of butter or mayo or other sauce, before adding the fillings, it helps sticking the leaves together before you roll them like a burrito. You can essentially do the same thing with other lettuce types, if the leaves are wide enough.

Another strategy is doing the same thing with cabbage. Take the hard stem out and poach in boiling liquid, to make the leaf more amenable to bending. It makes a great burrito rolling shell, too.