Eating Fat to Satiety

(Jason Fletcher) #61

i read this entire thread hoping someone would ask this question. LOL.

(eat more) #62

iā€™m shocked that i didnā€™t think to ask sooner! :neutral_face: lol

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #63

LMFAO :joy:!!!

(Dustin Cade) #64

this is some really awesome information!

(Todd Allen) #65

Breathing isnā€™t 100% healthy.

There are plenty of studies showing adverse effects of excess protein. Anti-aging research has been showing that most of the life extending benefits of caloric restriction are triggered by restricting protein and in particular methionine and leucine. Those amino acids are primary stimulators of growth via IGF1 and mTOR. And over stimulating growth processes blocks repair and recycling processes.

I have a muscle wasting disease and find it beneficial to exceed recommended levels of growth stimulating protein accepting the longer term risks for the more immediate need to maximize function. I hope to balance the risks of hyper stimulated growth with frequent fasting to insure the repair and recycling processes are strongly stimulated too.

It is becoming increasingly clear that for many people, myself included, a high carbohydrate diet is harmful. So that leaves fat. My impression regarding fat is that undamaged omega 3 pufas are extremely healthful, mufas are healthful, some safas are healthful and most are benign in the context of a keto diet. Refined vegetable oils such as corn, soy, sunflower, etc. are high in omega 6 pufas with little omega 3 and the refining process has stripped them of protective anti-oxidants and most other beneficial micronutrients and polyphenols, etc. making them the worst fats commonly consumed. They are also the primary source of trans fats which have been shown to be very harmful.

Avoiding processed foods and sticking to carefully sourced healthful fats like tallow, lard, butter, coconut oil, evoo, etc. appears to be a great strategy to maximize health. At least it has been working for me.

(Martin Arnold) #66

I eat veg for the nutrients. Iā€™m not sold on zero carb for example.

(Martin Arnold) #67

It isnā€™t that I donā€™t like fat. Far from it.

It is that finding affordable and convenient sources to add to meals is difficult for me. Other than pouring butter over everything, it is difficult. And while butter is fine, meals drenched in it (as with anything) are unpleasant.

EG: Iā€™d eat more avocados if I could, but because we have to import them, it costs a fortune.

(Martin Arnold) #68

my goal is weight loss and health

(Jessica) #69

Come on, no more excuses. Hereā€™s your solution: www, this forum and the podcast offer so so many great recipes!
You donā€™t need to be eating avocados everyday. You donā€™t need to be putting straight blobs of butter onto your food, so many sauces and things you can make out of it!

(Martin Arnold) #70

What else do you suggest? What other sources of fat are there?

(bulkbiker) #71

Mayo? make your own.

(Martin Arnold) #72

Sorry, I shoudl mention that i canā€™t tolerate eggs

(eat more) #73

as is mineā€¦i donā€™t have any known issues like diabetes but the tools and end goal is the same.
insulin reduction and hormonal/metabolism correctionsā€¦which leads to fat loss and being ā€œhealthierā€
protein in excess is insulinogenic
while you have said that fat doesnā€™t keep you ā€œfullā€ā€¦if you let it, it will keep you from overeatingā€¦ protein and anything else.
at 22% i do not believe it is necessary to limit your fat as much as you have previously stated.

when i first started my protein was always higher than fatā€¦as i became adapted and farther along on this roadā€¦my protein naturally decreased and my fat naturally increased.

i donā€™t ā€œpourā€ or ā€œdrenchā€ anything in butterā€¦in fact the only butter i had yesterday was from a couple of fat bombs because they were convenient and what i had time forā€¦and they arenā€™t expensive, difficult to make, or contain exotic ingredientsā€¦
when i do use butter in an actual meal itā€™s usually around a tablespoon which isnā€™t a huge amount and thatā€™s usually just putting a pat of butter on some broccoli for tasteā€¦more often than not tho i pick cheeseā€¦and not an overwhelming amount like ā€œsome broccoli with my cheeseā€ā€¦just some cheese with my broccoli
dinner last night was pork ribs with cheddar, sour cream, and sliced olives (no butterā€¦nothing was drowning or suffocating in anythingā€¦perfectly balanced)

cheese, olives, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, olive oil, coconut oil, coconut, coconut cream, coconut butter, nuts, nut butters, fatty/fattier cuts of beef, fatty fish, dark meat chicken, bacon, pork ribs, sausage, hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax, sugar free full fat salad dressing, mayo, homemade full fat salad dressing, pork rinds, ā€¦you can even google it as the above is just off the top of my head.
there are tons of recipes available that combine fats that youā€™d hardly know that you were eating high fat just that they taste good.

i think you need to decide if fat is ā€œunhealthyā€, tastes bad, or is cost prohibitive and then go from there.

i think all of your ā€œnoā€™sā€ (self created obstacles) are making this WAY WAY WAY harder than it ever needs to be.
itā€™s really and i mean really simple especially since you obviously have access to the internet (and this forum)ā€¦all of the information is available you just have to be open to it.

what works for me:
pick a protein, add some fatā€¦
some meals pick a protein, pick a veg, add some fat
(add some fatā€¦not overwhelm the plate/food with fat)
and some days i fastā€¦yesterday was possibly going to be extended but it ended up being intermittent.

change the way you look at things and the things you look at changeā€¦

(Jaidann) #74

This was AWESOME!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #75

Beautiful @mikki

(eat more) #76

i wish i could take creditā€¦ wayne dyer :blush:

(matt ) #77

GREAT post @mikki

(Martin Arnold) #78

Youā€™re just listing things for the most part that are oils and sauces-type stuff. Thatā€™s the same as using butter which means putting it on food or cooking with it.

(matt ) #79

Really @Martin_Arnold this might not be for you. You shitcan all the advice these people are taking time to offer you. Are you a troll?

Totally with you on this one @matt I have not come across anyone so obnoxious for quite a time. @mikki that was a great comment, as ever. I fear as far as @Martin_Arnold goes you are wasting your time, however, others reading this will benefit.