Eating enough with exercise and stress

(Mark Berry) #1

I am only a stone over weight so not really big. I’ve been low carb and keto for a couple years now. The last year I’ve had a new job and I know I’m far more stressed than before. I rarely get hungry and I run or bike 5 days a week. I am always around 0.3/0.4 ketones. I eat about 2000 calories and my exercise is normally about 800. I’m trying to eat more everyday but never hungry. Is the cortisol stopping the weight loss or should I just keep eating more until the weight comes off?

(Guy Harvey) #2

Hi Mark, over weight is an interesting concept as you first have to decide what is your ideal weight? Have you not stabilised at a baseline that is acceptable? Have you considered switching to a more refined measurement of body composition such as fat as a percentage (measured by the best method possible), or even callipers? I would probably switch to some HIT training to access the other ‘weight’ you mentioned. Just some thoughts! (my first post :wink:

PS if you read The Primal Blueprint, Mark Sissons talks about accessing the two energy systems of Phosphagen and Aerobic, so high and low intensity avoiding the training in the glycotic range. I found that my aerobic level has a really low intensity that I can only really maintain with careful monitoring of my heart rate but with that I am abviously only burning fat. My training is now Olympic lifting and reading books on a static bike!!

(Rachel) #3

Hi Mark_Berry

You mentioned Cortisol, so thought I would reply.

I have an under active thyroid, Hashimoto’s and very high cortisol levels which can also result in insulin resistance. High cortisol levels are related to stress and can play havoc with the body, causing weight gain, high blood pressure and reduce your energy and give you low mood, as well as effect your sleep

I’m no expert on keto, so I can’t help you in that department, but, I started doing this about 5 weeks ago, as I suspected I had insulin troubles, as I was starting to lose my waist and this is a give away for high cortisol.

I’m based in the UK and I have done a saliva test, measuring my cortisol levels. I’m not sure if your based in the UK or not, but, can you test your levels perhaps. If they are high, mine are, morning and mid morning (only if high) then taking a supplement may help like Rhodiola rose, Ashwagandha, make sure you have some omega 3 fatty acids and B vitamins as well as Zinc.

I only know this because of my thyroid journey and my own cortisol levels.

Best Wishes

(Mark Berry) #4

Thank you

(Windmill Tilter) #5

It’s possible that it’s the exercise that’s causing the stall. Have you tried dropping down to two sessions a week for a while to see if that moves the needle?

(Mark Berry) #6

I haven’t, it’s mostly low HR training with the odd game of squash. If I don’t exercise I get too fidgety and end up on the booze to relax instead.