Eating enough during feasting?

For a couple months, I’ve been intermittent fasting, eating once or twice a day according to my appetite. Also, I’ve done two 3-day fasts in the last three weeks. One of my objectives with fasting is to increase my BMR. During my eating days, I try to feast, but I get so full on 1400-1500 calories that I can’t squeeze anymore food in. (I am zero carb by the way.) My TDEE is probably 1600-1800 a day. Am I spinning my wheels trying to increase my BMR with fasting if I can’t fit in more calories on feasting days?

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #2

Isn’t the trick to really mix it up to keep metabolism at its peak?

1200 one day
2000 one day
800 one day
2500 one day

Yeah it sounds to me like you should be eating more … It´s easy to get full quickly after a Long fast. I´d suggest doing multiple meals on a feasting day after or before a Long fast to help squeeze more calories in, otherwise youre hurting your metabolism. If you´re Zero carb, fats like olive oil and butter would be your best bet in Terms of getting more calories, they add up quickly! After a Long fast I like to start with a light meal as to not disturb my stomach, going later on for a full on feast of meat, salmon, sausages and whatever else Im craving :slight_smile:

If you were not at zc I would suggest macadamia nuts as an easy snack. Do you do HWC?

What about fat bullets? Add some tablespoons of MCT or Coconut oil?

Dairy causes blemishes and congestion for me so I avoid it (most of the time). This makes me very sad because I love Kerrygold but I get nose zits every time I eat it. Even ghee gives me zits. I’m going to try making some “duckonnaise” to put on my food. I also have a can of bacon grease in my cupboard, so I could melt and drizzle that on also.

(Liz ) #6

I cannot get a straight answer to this question either. On the one hand I read that calorie restriction on a SAD diet will lower your metabolism, the “starvation mode” problem. Got it.

But on the other I read if you are not hungry on Keto, don’t eat! These are conflicting notions. Someone out there must know definitively if “starvation mode” metabolism reduction is still a possibility while one is fat adapted and in ketosis or if it only applies to the SAD way of eating. My understanding is whatever calories I’m not eating which my body needs to maintain metabolism will come off my (generous) belly and my metabolism should keep humming along even if I eat at a caloric reduction. True?

Anyone??

IF vs calorie restriction
(Sonia A.) #7

In my opinion, the body doesn’t understand calories. It only understands hunger and hormones. As long as you eat to satiety and give your body the signal that it’s not a time of famine, you should be fine. I don’t think it’s wise to force yourself to eat.

(Liz ) #8

That was my feeling too, thanks! But there are so many warnings about eating too few calories that I get nervous I’m screwing my body up like I might have in the past.

(Jason Fletcher) #9

How do you know what your BMR is ? What are the goals you hope to achieve by fasting? Do you know your height weight and body fat%.

(Sonia A.) #10

You’ll feel it if your body is unhappy. Fatigue, coldness, malaise, hunger, feeling crappy are all symptoms you should look out for. If you feel good, you should be fine. Listen to your body.

(Liz ) #11

Ooh, that’s really good advice, thank you! I hadn’t thought there would be symptoms of a slowing metabolism but of course there are.