Eating at night is bad...or is it? (I'm probably wrong...again)

(Bob M) #1

I’ve always thought that eating at night was bad. And it made sense to me, because I assumed you’d have higher blood sugar and insulin, because where’s that food going?

But here’s a study where they say that eating at night, particularly if you exercise in the morning (which I do), might not be bad:

Looks like I’m wrong … again. Lost track of how many times that’s happened.

(Robin) #2

If I’m worried about the scales/weight, I pay attention to no late eating. But that’s been a while ago. Now it’s usually a habit to not eat after 5 or so. But if a I’m hungry, I do.
Still, I appreciate all the studies like this.

I never had against late eating but it’s rarely good for me. I sleep better with a full stomach but I overeat if I eat too late, it’s not convenient either.
IDK what a workout has to do with it, I have most energy when I do it 16-20 hours after my last meal (but I have my somewhat fixed things so maybe it’s not that simple and the time of the day matters more) and if I ate late, I probably can’t do my workout as I get hungry way earlier and I need to be well-fasted for my workout but I can’t do it in the morning as I am not a morning person… There are so many individual factors, I am sure one needs to figure out what works for their individual body and mind and circumstances.

Late eating is overeating, staying fat, being displeased, getting hungry way too early and messing with my workout the next day etc. NOT GOOD.
But I believe even a late night OMAD is perfect for someone, somehow…
And even I eat at 2-3am if I get hungry. It’s not good but better than not eating in that situation.

And now I am reading. Night shifts, oh those are bad. My SO had those and he can’t eat at night so he didn’t ate at night… That’s a special case but it wasn’t good for him either. Night shift is bad for most humans I suppose, even with the best timing and food they can manage. And poor thing was a total zombie during the day so he didn’t have energy or willpower to exercise. Well he had 12 hour night shifts (and day shifts too), he lived on his free weeks… This insane pattern probably messed with his body in various ways. But he didn’t gain fat easier than with a normal schedule, maybe because he never had an appetite while being a zombie, who knows (he had hunger and ate but probably less?). So it’s very complicated even for a single person…

I agree that some good tiny food (like a boiled egg) is quite different from some big HCHF meal…
Oh I never heard night meals are less satiating. They are to me as I have this gremlin time (even my attitude regarding food changes) - but it’s not necessarily bad. Worse satiation can be great for people who struggle with undereating. Not everyone’s goal is eating less or something. I have overeating problems but the opposite in some (otherwise pretty good) circumstances so even I feel the need to go for some not very well satiating food sometimes.

Protein after evening exercise helped with muscles, yes, that is believable :smiley: